Author Topic: Odoban love  (Read 13447 times)

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
Re: Odoban love
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:55 PM »
*Is bored at home and wants to join the photo editing fun*

[img]http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/atothellie9008/bella2.jpg[img]

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Chola

• Rats = Instant Love
    • Jen's Page
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
hahaha that is too funny!  McCauley should totally send that to Odoban and see what they say!  Sometimes they send things back..like coupons ;)

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »

Thanks for the link fix...the fedex guy pulled up with my cage as I was posting...so I hit send and ran out the door!
I like the combo pic!

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 02:35:50 PM »
That picture of bella makes me want to get a nakey rat......

bella was my first hairless rat, and i didnt even want her HAHA i wanted her sister (haired dumbo black variegated girl with lightening bolt blaze-- i do not have a single picture :(), and of course i COULDN'T just take her sister... so i took them both.. Bella is my favorite rat EVER she is such a squish and lovey dovey girl.. she has become obsessive about grooming me tho!! hehe

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »
How is the product in comparison to bleach? I was interested more when it says kills parvo and such. We use bleach at the shelter, but if the product is cheap enough maybe I can convince our director to pick up a few bottles.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
odoban is defiantly more expensive than bleach. we used odoban in the hospital, but the clinics are too cheap, so they use bleach. so i don't know if it would work in a shelter type setting. does bleach not kill parvo? i know bleach kills HIV.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »
It does. But we have one worker who keeps adding all sorts of smelly chemicals to our bottles, even our no-no squirt bottle which was meant only for water to get after the dogs if needed. I sniffed everything out and there was like, Spik and Span, I think even a PineSol, Frebreeze, ect. Our director thinks it's breaking down the bleach (to be honest I don't even think she's putting bleach, just smelly stuff) and not disinfecting since for a while there all the dogs were getting very very ill regardless of what we were doing, and low and behold all the cleaner bottles were all orange and fruity smelling. So maybe buying smelly stuff that also kills like that may work out better.

Offline gothkenny

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »
I just got some! :cheeky: I'm excited to see if its really as good as you all say. ;]
Abbi Conley
Lucy, Mady, and Vinnie. <3

RIP Louie, Eddie, Elliot, Stevie, Andante, Loki, Chessie, Igby, Ziggy, Sidney, Riley, Sammy, Blair, and Avery.
Chester and Sammy, I will never forget you. (:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
It does. But we have one worker who keeps adding all sorts of smelly chemicals to our bottles, even our no-no squirt bottle which was meant only for water to get after the dogs if needed. I sniffed everything out and there was like, Spik and Span, I think even a PineSol, Frebreeze, ect. Our director thinks it's breaking down the bleach (to be honest I don't even think she's putting bleach, just smelly stuff) and not disinfecting since for a while there all the dogs were getting very very ill regardless of what we were doing, and low and behold all the cleaner bottles were all orange and fruity smelling. So maybe buying smelly stuff that also kills like that may work out better.

ooo! thats very dangerous, i hope they were reprimanded. and ODOBAN can be used as a air freshner as well, so im sure it would work. i personally HATE the smell of bleach after working in the health care field for my entire adult life (only like 6 years but yeah ya kno... lol) so i dont even allow bleach in my home.

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »
I'm allergic to mould and have had some BAD drain blockage problems, so i am a fan of bleach as it is the ONLY THING that will kill mould.  (all 'mould killing' products are just bleach with other chemicals added)
That being said i would NEVER use it in a rat cage.....

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
odoban kills mold, also, bleach is perfectly safe to use in rat cages if it is rinsed properly. anyway... little kids drink pool water and they don't die.. what do you think they use in pools? chlorine (bleach) also, tap water is chlorinated to varying degrees as well. not good, but small amounts will NOT kill you.

Offline BellaLovesRemi

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
mccauley, r u sure u dont work for them?? lmao
everywhere i look about how to get the smell out
i always see your posts about odoban and it puts a smile on my face  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline LittlePaws

• Posts Too Much!
    • Little Paws Rat Rescue
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »
I've never heard of this stuff until now. Or seen it. I'm intrigued and will have to go find some.... Haha.

Offline LolaGranola

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »
So since this kills all sorts of things... Would it hurt insects? I read that hermit crabs are so closely related to insects that insecticides can kill them... so I worry about everything now... :p My family was getting this dust sorta stuff you spread around the edges of your walls that like cuts insects up internally and kills them. (we have ants) Totally don't want that around them.. But would this be safe?

Like seriously, Mccauley, do they pay you for this? lol

How close is your crabitat to the rat cage? If it is in a different room I would think it would be fine. How big is the 'tat? If it's moveable you could move it or cover it with a damp towel until the scent dissipates.

Offline Stace Cadet

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »
Would Odoban work in spray bottle form?  I can throw my Martin's in the tub, but I just ordered a CN and I live in a third floor apartment.  I can't exactly wheel it outside to hose down and I don't want to have to break it down twice a week.  (I have some pee happy boys.)  Would I be able to dilute the Odoban in a spray bottle, spray the bars of the cage, and just rinse off with wet paper towels?  Or does Odoban really require a good scrubbing?

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »
nope. odoban comes with a spray bottle if you buy it at marcs. i only spray mine down and then rinse them off, since my martins were bought second hand and they are put together with the c clips, there is NO WAY  i am tearing it down to soak it! haha.

for the pvc pipe, nest boxes, wheels, and all other plastic items, i fill the bathtub up and pour odoban in, let everything soak for about 10 mins, drain, turn the shower on to rinse everything, then put it all on a towel to air dry. no scrubbing required! ;)  :thumbsup2:

Offline Stace Cadet

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:42 AM »
Sweeeet.  I'll definitely have to get some Odoban now.  I've been doing the vinegar/peroxide thing but the smell of vinegar turns my stomach. 

Offline dream_chaser023

• Rat Tails
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »
do you have to buy obodan that is specifically for pet odors, or is it an all purpose cleaner?  Should you wait till the smell is gone before placing animals back in the cage?  Do you need to rinse it off like you do with bleach?  I am very intrigued and would really like to try this stuff (and I have a Sam's membership!). :)

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
do you have to buy obodan that is specifically for pet odors, or is it an all purpose cleaner?  Should you wait till the smell is gone before placing animals back in the cage?  Do you need to rinse it off like you do with bleach?  I am very intrigued and would really like to try this stuff (and I have a Sam's membership!). Smiley

no. i get the regular all purpose kind. yes i rinse it off, but the cages still have a light clean scent to them after. and no, it doesnt bother the rats at all, i actually have not had a URI (asides from a very very sick girl who had a underlying cause) in i dont know how long...

Offline dream_chaser023

• Rat Tails
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
awesome!  Im going to have to pick some up my next Sam's Club trip. :)

Thank you!

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Resurrecting an old thread but I was in Iron Mountain (where there is a Home Depot) and just bought my first bottle of Odoban! Can't wait to go home and use it!!

Offline dream_chaser023

• Rat Tails
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
just bought some as well just yesterday :)  Can't wait to try it next cage cleaing day!

Offline dream_chaser023

• Rat Tails
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
one more question, when cleaning the bars of the Ferret Nation cage, can I just clean them with the odoban, then after wiping it, spray it down with some water?  I honestly do not want to take my FN apart every time I use it, but don't want to hurt my babies either.