Author Topic: Considering Adopting a Budgie  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Rotten Applesss

• Posts Too Much!
  • Peace, Love, & Paw Prints.
    • The Knotty Rat's Nest
Considering Adopting a Budgie
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:06:33 AM »
[sorry, I meant to post this in 'Bird Care Corner']
I recently found a cute birdcage that I have since cleaned up and decorated. Now, I was planning to just give the cage to my ratties when they were out in the living room during free range. (Just on the floor always opened)
HOWEVER, I have also been considering getting a bird... I have been researching a lot about Budgies and was wondering if anyone on here owned one or more ? I read that if you just get one at first (esp. if you're home a lot *which I am home all the time*), they will consider you apart of their "flock" and maybe even talk ? (after the first six months *or so I've read* we would then adopt another)

I was also wondering what other type of smaller birds someone would suggest? I have only ever owned cockatiels. (amazing birds btw :heart:)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:15:50 AM by Rotten Applesss »
RIP <3 Edward, McLOVIN, Jay, Silent Bob, Jigsaw, Templeton, Moe-Moe, Little Foot, and Jobin --- I miss you dearly <3

http://theknottyratsnest.etsy.com

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Considering Adopting a Budgie
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
Addicus is now....  about 14 years old.   I got him when my sister's friend moved cross country and didn't trust driving with the budgies and her kitten.   He had had a friend with him from the get go, but Petey died.   I would start with 2.   He can do different calls, but I wouldn't stress about having them talk.   They really are great little birds and can live a lot longer than people think.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »
My brother and his wife have a pair of budgies.  They've always kept two, and when their male died unexpectedly, they got another right away to keep their female company.  I've never heard of keeping a solo budgie to bond better with you.

Check out http://www.upatsix.com/, it's got forums and care info for all kinds of pet birds.

Offline CrowCrow

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
Budgies are sweet, charming, kind and playful birds and I've owned a handful over the years. I had one solo male in particular that bonded with me and talked up a storm. When I moved out to college I purchased him a companion so he wouldn't miss me being away so much, but I was always his "sweetheart". They definitely bond with people when there are no other birds around, but be kind, if you won't be home very much, get two of them.