Author Topic: Strange Lump?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Strange Lump?
« on: May 20, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »
I found a weird-looking lump on my Toy Poodle, Penny. Our vet is closed today, and on top of that we're already in the process of paying off 800 dollars to them, and my mom is reluctant to go unless it's an emergency. Anyway, I got a shot of it using the macro focus feature on my boyfriend's camera phone. If anyone has any idea if this is a normal lump or whatever, please let me know. Thanks :)

Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Strange Lump?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
Where is it located?

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:35:26 PM »
Near her right shoulder.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
To me it looks like a skin tag. My dog is covered with them they are harmless but can get large enough to be a problem. My groomer is the one that told me what it was and the vet confirmed it on a regular visit.

I tried to find a pic of a skin tag but havent found one yet. Our dog has a gigantic dangly nasty one on her butt. At $400 to remove it Im not in a hurry thats for sure.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
At $400 to remove it Im not in a hurry thats for sure.

This is exactly why I'm reluctant to go to the vet. She's up for vaccines in early July anyway, and hopefully it won't get any larger between now and then. If it does, when I take her in for vaccines the vet will tell me what he thinks. He understands our financial constraints, which is why we're on a payment plan for past instances. He won't insist it be removed and biopsied unless he thinks it's necessary. Hopefully it is just a skin tag, and if not, then the vet will help us deal with it. Thanks for the response!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
The thing that sucks is that if you see/remove one there will be more later. Purebreds seem to be more prone to them. Its not really worth removing unless they become large and dangly and prone to bleeding from irritation. Make sure you let the groomer know so they can try to avoid them.

You might ask your vet it you can do a drive-by look. You drag the dog into the vet and he wanders out in between appts to look at it. They can usually tell by looking at it.

My dog did have cancer. It looked like a pepper corn size under the skin. The skin was very normal just a lump underneath. I have sebaceous cysts and thought it was that but when it grew to the size of a grape in 2 mos I took her in to get it looked at. Sebaceous cysts are fed with body oil and they dont grow that fast.

The vet needle biopsied it and found cancer. I miss that vet because the surgery with lab biopsy was only $125. It was nerve sheath cancer, very unusual. We did no other treatment and she has been cancer free for many years.

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:11:48 AM »
Of course nobody can tell 100% without a biopsy, but I'd say with 99.9% certainty that is a benign skin tumor. Usually when you see one, there are more to follow. Our docs usually tell people to leave them alone unless the bleed, get infected, etc. it is easy and cheap to freeze them off.

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:35:45 PM »
Poodles are prone to warts, skin tags and other benign tumors.  Obviously you can't be 100% sure without a biopsy, but my standard poodle had quite a few bumps that looked like that.

Not sure about the toys but on the standards those bumps are often sebaceous adenomas or papilomas.  Also second warning your groomer about it so it doesn't get nicked by the clippers.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
She had a melanoma some time ago, which was the reason for my initial concern. I feel better hearing that other Poodle owners have seen similar things. When she gets her vaccines in July, I'll see what the vet has to say

Not sure about the toys but on the standards those bumps are often sebaceous adenomas or papilomas.  Also second warning your groomer about it so it doesn't get nicked by the clippers.

My mother and I do the grooming for our dogs (saves lots and lots of money) so I don't have to worry about this. :)

Offline Chewbecca

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ella's Lead
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:48:38 PM »
Looks like a papiloma to me (wart).
My pit bull gets them all the time.

But another thing my dog is proned to is mast cell tumors.

When you go to the vet, spend a little extra and have him get a sample of it to send to the lab to check for malignancy.
That way you'll rest better.

I don't mess with skin bumps because of my dog's bad skin issues.
www.ellaslead.com
The Only Collar and Lead You Will Ever Need!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
When you go to the vet, spend a little extra and have him get a sample of it to send to the lab to check for malignancy.

Unfortunately "a little extra" is more like $400, which is something that we just can't afford.

Offline bachthi

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »

But another thing my dog is proned to is mast cell tumors.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but that's just because it's been popping up a lot lately on the pitbull forum I'm on. But poodle owners would know better!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »
Wart. We see them constantly at the groomers. Especially on toy breeds with lots of hair. Poodles are very prone to them. They've never seemed bothersome, but are prevalent on older dogs. If she's older and developing warts, just keep an eye on them, and be mindful of her developing more. A lot of poodles used to come in with warts and hot spots. Just have to be mindful of where you're cutting the fur. When you nick them, it's so hard to get them to stop bleeding.