Author Topic: Question for Critter nation owners  (Read 925 times)

Offline Ahen123

Question for Critter nation owners
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
I am considering getting a critter nation....I was wondering if any CN owners out there could help me with a few questions I have....First, I was wondering exactly how many rats you can keep in a single unit? I did the cage calculator and it said 9, does that seem correct? Also I have a younger son whom I like to keep away from the cage doors, so he doesnt open them without me, my current cage I keep on a table so its not at his level, is it possible to not attach the base with the wheels so I can place it on a table? Thanks for ur help! :BlueDumboSmile: :BlueDumboSmile: :rattysmiley:

Offline Chewbecca

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ella's Lead
Re: Question for Critter nation owners
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »
I don't own a CN yet, so I cannot help you as far as experience using one goes, but I know I have been advised here not to put more than 5 rats to a one level CN. ;D
www.ellaslead.com
The Only Collar and Lead You Will Ever Need!

Offline MattosaurusREX

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
I think 5 is right. The cage calc says 9 becuase the dimensions you are entering are the dimensions of the unit itself (counting the shelfspace underneath) and not the cage. Off the top of my head, I'm going to say the CN cage part is 18'' wide, 40'' long, 24'' high. I haven't measured, but I think I'm pretty close from eyeballing it.

Edit: I just plugged those numbers in with 2 cubic feet per rat and got 5, so yeah.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:22:22 PM by MattosaurusREX »

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
Six is the number it fits (the actual dimensions are 36x24x25) but I wouldn't put more than five.

There really isn't any way to assemble it without the legs that I know of.  If having it on a table is the only way you may want to look into Martin's.  Their R-695 is comparable in size to the CN but can be put up on a dresser.  The only other option I can think of is putting a lock of some sort on the cage so that it can't be opened.

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »
A single hold six, as per the cage calculator.  It CAN be assembled without the stand [seen it done before, never done it myself] but it is a very heavy cage and I really wouldn't recommend setting it up without the stand.

Offline Ahen123

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Okay thanks! I think I am going to look into getting a "clean living 6 story cage", they are really big and dont have the bottom shelf part.  :BlueDumboSmile: :BlueDumboSmile: :rattysmiley:

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
Just be aware that I am pretty sure the bar spacing on that is one inch, which means smaller males and females could escape.  I dont know how big your rats are, but it would be awful if you got it home not realizing that your rats were too small for it.  Sorry, this must be frustrating.

ETA: Yup, definately 1 inch spacing :(

Offline KieruNatsuki

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
Actually it's the FN that has 1 inch. The CNhas 1/2 inch. No way can they get out xD

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
Actually it's the FN that has 1 inch. The CNhas 1/2 inch. No way can they get out xD
smesyna was referring to the clean living cage.  Which does in fact have 1 inch bar spacing.

Offline windy1365

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »
I recommend a Martin's 695 for your needs, also.  I have six girls in my CN single level, and it is probably more suited for five girls.  And, I have an additional shelf that I purchased for $30 including shipping that makes it acceptable for six girls.

Offline KieruNatsuki

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »
smesyna was referring to the clean living cage.  Which does in fact have 1 inch bar spacing.

heh oops... :-X