Author Topic: 6 WKs CRATE REST-- advice-- movement, stroller?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline DorseyClairebelle

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
6 WKs CRATE REST-- advice-- movement, stroller?
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
You may have seen my other thread asking for donations; Doyle escaped his harness and has a fractured right ilium which may need a plate and some kind of femoral impaction on the same side. We'll get him back in a couple days and he'll be on crate rest for at least 6 weeks it sounds like. Strict crate rest too: no walking at all I'm pretty sure. Even though he's young (7 months) he's quite calm and he is crate-trained so I don't expect any problems with keeping him confined thank goodness. I will ask these Qs of the vet post-surgery but I'd love some info in the mean time.
First, what kind of things can we do to keep him stimulated and happy? We've been doing research, will teach tricks to keep up familiarity with clicker training, give him lots of frozen Kongs and marrow bones. What else?
Second, about moving him. He's pretty small (well 20 lbs) and comfortable being carried. I know that he needs to refrain from putting pressure on his hip, but is having him out of his crate actually harmful?-- Like would it slow the healing to pick him up and have him on the couch with us, or on a cushion on the floor so we could sit with him? The couch sounds risky I know, but he loves lying there for hours and it would never be unsupervised. There is a 0% chance of him jumping off.
Last, can we get one of these mortifying things? http://www.amazon.com/Navy-Blue-Stroller-Carrier-Seat/dp/B0033A83DA/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1274907960&sr=1-33
It can strap him in and it seems like it'd be the right size for him to lie down in. It can be covered or open, and it's also a car seat, which would be good to have until he heals! Again, with care and proper handling, would it be inappropriate to stick him in there and take him for a walk (of course assuming he's comfortable and calm with it, again if the vet approves...)
And really any further advice or info on keeping him happy would be great!!
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
Re: 6 WKs CRATE REST-- advice-- movement, stroller?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
Yucky.  One of my cockers was on 8wks of strict cage rest after back surgery, it was not very fun for either of us.

To keep him occupied we did the kongs and frozen marrows as well as buster cubes and other puzzle-type treat dispensers.  We worked on teaching him to 'speak' since that doesn't require any body movement. He got one new toy everyday (I just grabbed a bunch from goodwill) and he got very spoiled food-wise.  We made sure his crate was always in the center of activity so he felt included and tried to otherwise keep him on his normal schedule.

I can't answer you other questions about leg pressure, I would think if he's just lying on the couch on his side that it wouldn't be any different than lying in his crate, but you'll probably want to verify that with your vet.  Don't feel bad about the stroller looking embarrassing--we had to make a sling out of some old towels and carry the cocker's back end when he went out to potty.  It was messy and looked ridiculous, but everyone's ego eventually recovered.

Hope Doyle feels better soon.

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
I just meant that I think the idea of pet strollers for pets without disability is kind of  :icon_puke_r: :icon_puke_l: and then I feel  :BangHead: , so :dontknow: Not that I'd actually be embarrassed taking him out in it  :thumbsup2:
I think I've decided I'm going to teach him to stick his tongue out first!
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
I recommend that you use a martingale collar on Doyole at all times even if you use a harness. Unless his head is a lot larger than his neck you will run the risk of him pulling out of a collar too.

Considering what lead to all of this I would be very careful about having him outside at all unless its for going potty. Having him in a stroller if he were to freak again he could likely hurt himself quite a bit trying to get out of the stroller.

When a dog pulls out from a harness the dog is also pulling away from you which means you probably arent considered a safe zone yet.

If he is that scared of a door closing his chances of really hurting himself being scared is very high. I would seriously consider limiting any chances of him being that scared again until he is fully healed. You may even have to consider trying piddle pads. If he gets excited and tries to pull away from you he could really tear up his injury.

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
There are also martingale-type harnesses available for sighthounds--now if I can just find a link for you....
I second keeping a Martingale collar on him as a backup to the harness, if you already know how to fit one properly I apologize, but if not:
When it's on and you pull the d-ring you want at least 1" of space between the other two rings.  If a dog wearing one ever starts to panic and try to back out of it, pull down toward the ground and this will lessen the chance of them slipping the collar.

I foster ex-racing greyhounds and I actually keep two collars or a harness and a collar on the dogs that are spooked by everything.  The extra time it takes them to slip two devices gives you enough time to get the situation under control.

edit:  http://www.2houndsdesign.com/1-inch-No-Pull-Dog-Training-Harness-Medium-and-Large-Breeds-pr-345.html   
It's listed as a no-pull harness, but it tightens like a martingale if they try to back out of it.  I don't know anyone who uses the front control ring, but it's an option.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:34:58 PM by Wheeljack »

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
Re: 8 WKs CRATE REST-- advice-- movement, stroller?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »
I've been doing a lot of research and I agree, it sounds like Martingales are the way to go. We'll get him one and use it in addition to his harness-- that harness you posted was RAD, have to see if we can afford one  :laugh:

Forky, what led to this was that he was spooked by being at the bottom of a narrow set of stairs with a door on top and people he didn't know had just gone inside. He was pulling away from me because I was going up the stairs-- had no idea this was a trigger. It is not a door we have to use or ever go near, he has no problem with the main entrance. Of course I know now to be exceptionally cautious with new stimuli.  He relaxes MORE when he's outdoors, having lived there his entire life. He does back away from new people but does not bolt or get overly anxious when faced with joggers, bikes, kids, skateboards, roller blades, other dogs or large groups of people. Of course we would introduce him to and test the stroller slowly, first in areas outdoors with NO other people or animals, but I think it would be relaxing for him. Especially now that it turns out he needs a 2nd surgery and it'll be crate rest for at least 8 weeks!! I think it's important he get to go outside. Lastly, I'm comfortable with the stroller knowing that it can be completely enclosed if he starts to get uncomfortable. He LOVES his crate it is a safe space and he just is calm when enclosed in general. I'm also pretty sure he'll be completely immobilized at the beginning.
I appreciate your input and clearly there are risks, which is why I'm asking this, I just want you to know all my considerations because I feel this could do him A LOT of good, especially since we'd be able to continue his socialization, and I wouldn't want to back down on it if the risks could be minimized.  :thumbsup2:

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
I wouldnt take the chance. His body is very fragile and being held together with pins and it would be an injustice to all involved financially if you were to reinjure him or prevent him from healing correctly.

Frankly if he doesnt heal correctly or sustains further damage it will likely lead to him being put down. Is it really worth it, its only 8 wks of CRATE rest. Can you really guarantee he wont react?

He is basically a wild dog from another country that you haven't had very long, you dont know what else could set him off, why take the chance.

Leave him in his cage, if you must have people come and visit him, and let him heal properly. He can wait 8 wks to smell the flowers, he is young right now he has many years ahead of him, dont willingly contribute to them being painful years.

I also find it difficult to stomach reading that you are considering not getting a $29 harness that you stated was great because its too expensive. Is $29 not worth it to avoid going through this again?

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
Forky, please tone down the attitude. I am here because I am trying to DO THE BEST FOR MY DOG and I don't see why you have a problem with that. Gee, if I didn't care about him do you think I would have started this thread at all??  :doh:

"Frankly" you know nothing about his medical status, so please don't threaten me with the death of my dog.

And just because I don't want to necessarily buy the $30 harness someone suggested does not mean I don't want to "avoid going through this again". There are many harnesses and many collars that cost many dollars less than that much, and with a $4,000 vet bill on its way, yes, forgive us, we're trying to save. Also, can you inform me please what the purpose of having this harness now would be? What with the 8 weeks of immobility, I'm not sure it's something I need to order right this second. I said nothing about not changing the harness situation, CLEARLY we're going to do something differently. When he escaped not only did he have a harness on correctly but the harness was clipped to his collar as well. I would appreciate it if you stopped assuming I'm an irresponsible pet owner because he got injured, this was no one's fault.

Have some respect.

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 04:27:59 AM »
FWIW, we're getting one of these: http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Ruff-Wear-3010-X-RFF1052.html
Not only does it have awesome reviews from people with escape-happy dogs, but it was designed for search and rescue dogs whose people needed to pick them up by the harness (like from helicopters)-- it's ergonomic and puts no pressure on the hips, so it'll be amazing for getting him in and out for the bathroom and up and down the stairs. A lot of people use them for seniors who have a hard time with stairs. Yay for 2 birds w 1 stone!