Author Topic: **sighs**A few baffling things.((wil be last new topic post from me for awhile))  (Read 2763 times)

Offline PantherBabe

First off:  Thank you For any and all Advice/Input/Names you can give me!
I had this nice little question and commentary going on and he decides to hit one key on my keyboard and my screen was wiped clean. lol. I have some questions/issues i'd like input on ... ((and one just for advice due to a contrary child!))

1) I had named him Stormy, However my daughter doesn't like that.  So its back to drawing board.. Any Idea's?  That are simple, easy, and can relate to a pretty male black kitty(that will be a big kitty at maturity)?  My daughter doesn't like the names I came up with, and her names i simply dont want for they are very general and i've had pets in the past that i've rescued/rehabbed/fostered and have owned with those names and simply dont want to name a pet after a previous pet(of any sort!).... I'd love simple easy names that can be traced/linked to Panther and Black Leopard. *to see him, please go "new kitty in family" topic's by me. lol.*

2) Running and Hiding... He does this with my mother.  She twitches or gets up from the couch and he's instantly eyeing her then taking off 'n hiding if she dares to move a finger/toe.  He doesn't do it with me.  He's starting to play with my daughter than hiding from her, of his own free will.  Personally, I dont mind it that he does it to my mother, but when we all seperate and i get my own place for me 'n my kid, i dont want him to take off when family/friends/strangers come for a visit.  i want him to be friendly, to greet visitors, to be seen...  Will he out grow this? For he is a loving kitty.

3) Meowing for his littermates.  He will go around the apartment meowing for his brother and sister.  How long will this go on?  I got him on Wednesday Evening.  I also can not get him to go into the bathroom, that is where him and his siblings were kept at the guys house.

4) Too many toys?  I have out 3 jingle balls(1 bright red with feather, 1 bright red, 1 black), 2 Mice(1 with dangle legs, 1 thats legless), 1 "Fishing" Toy, 1 black string.  In addition to 2 scratching "mats" i have one with a feather attached and one just a scratching mat, Both have catnip(spray and fresh).  His favorite is the "Fishing" Toy... he hardly plays with the others... I also have 6 small mice, a large mouse, some more jingle balls, and a feather toy(on a stick) .. however those last toys are put up in my desk...  Main ones out are those that are first listed.

5) Sleeping.  I've heard of Adult mature Cats sleeping 20 hrs a day.. But is it natural for a kitten to sleep more than play?  he does play and plays hard.  He just sleeps alot too...  He sleeps at least 15 hours of the day and plays for the remaining 9 hrs(broken up of course). Is this normal or should i be worried?  The vet isn't worried about this, says some kitties are just that way. That i should only be worried if he doesn't play at all.. But yet he hardly plays without me "play" fighting with him or without the fishing toy. Basically, is this normal?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:19:08 PM by PantherBabe »

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!

1.) No idea.  I specialize in silly food and cartoon related names.  I had black kitties named Soot Gremlin, Walrus (black with a white spot under chin and huge white whiskers), and Eggman.  I also had a fat foster named Porkchop, a tabby and white boy named Cornbread, and torties named Marblecake and Pamplemouse (grapefruit in french).  My own cat is named Dirty Ears Bill (from Arrested development).  ;)

2.) Running and hiding is normal for most cats.  Very few are 'dog-like' and run up to strangers for petting.  My cat is very dog-like and still is reserved when he first meets new people.  Cats aren't very confrontational creatures, generally speaking.  They tend to run from a new and potentially scary thing rather than stand and confront it.  New people he doesn't know are scary by default until they prove themselves to be reasonable creatures.  A good way to encourage a brave kitten is to help new people in his life make a good first impression.  Have people ignore him until he comes out to investigate, then have them offer tasty snacks or play with him with a favorite toy so that he makes a positive association.  Having a cat greet new people and love up on them is kind of rare, and has a lot to do with the personality of the cat.  My cat is a big dumb attention hog, and he doesn't mind new people as long as they aren't wild or crazy.  He is doing wonderfully so far with my little nieces (age 2 and 4) and even coming down out of his cat tree to walk past them on occasion.  He doesn't really want attention from them because they still pet a bit roughly, but he'll tolerate the drive-by pat.  His cat tree is a big confidence booster for him.  He is generally found up there when new people are over because he feels safer there.  He has a 6 ft monstrosity.  He will generally hang out in his tree when people are over and just watch them.  People can usually come visit him in his tree without him running away, but he doesn't usually get down and say hi unless there's only one person over and they're quiet or unless it's people he knows.  Most of the foster cats I've had run and hide when people are over, even when they are perfectly friendly with us.  While they generally do better with more socialization to new people, some cats just don't have outgoing personalities and tend to hang out with their people only.

3.)  Some cats are talkers and just meow a lot, or he may be calling for his brothers and sisters because he doesn't have other cats in the house.  Cats are generally social and enjoy the company of other cats.  Some are more social than others.  My cat is extremely social and will flip out and panic when home alone.  We always have at least one foster kitty playmate for him, and when his buddy gets adopted, he walks around the house calling and calling for them.  It's generally a low sustained call with a questioning ending as opposed to a short meow.  Other cats are just fine being alone and don't like to live with other cats.  As a kitten, he's been used to having his mother and brothers and sisters around to play with, so moving out on his own is quite an adjustment.  If you think he's honestly lonely, one solution would be to get him a companion.  Humans can't play cat games or nap with our kitties the way another kitty can.  I don't know if you want a second cat, but getting an obnoxiously friendly cat that is not afraid of new people would probably help your kitty be more brave by showing them how it's done.  I'm sure your local shelters and cat rescues are overflowing with young cats with great outgoing personalities. 

Or your cat could be a talker in general.  My cat has a big mouth and talks to us all the time.  He talks to us about food, waking up and going to bed, going upstairs, playing, out the window when we're outside, when he finds bugs, saying hi when we come home, etc.  He will answer you if you meow at him, and he'll go back and forth with you for a couple of minutes.  He also meows back when you call his name.  He also has "talking toys", which are certain types of toys that he loves to carry around in his mouth and call loudly.  He generally does this in the kitchen facing the back door, nobody else around.  He makes his lonely call (the one he makes when he's looking for a friend that got adopted) while holding a toy in his mouth and standing still.  This will go on for 5 minutes sometimes.  He only does this with certain toys.  It's the weirdest thing.

For bathroom phobia, just leave the door open if possible so he can check it out at will without being shut inside.  You can also put treats inside on the floor to motivate him to come in and see that there's nothing bad in there.  I would have thought the bathroom would have been a comfy place if he was born and raised in one.   ???

4.)  My cat doesn't like all kinds of toys.  He only will play with certain kinds.  I think each cat has a certain type of toy that appeals to them and each cat is different, with the exception  of fishing pole toys, which most cats seems to love.  My first cat loved those rabbit fur covered toy mice and feather toys, but would play with jingle balls and stuffed mice some.  Another cat liked jingle balls only.  My current cat loves stuffed fleece mice, but not cloth ones or fur mice.  He also likes pompom balls, but won't touch a jingle ball.  My current foster likes crocheted egg ferret toys, but doesn't really like fleece mice or pompom balls and is afraid of the fishing pole.  For a new kitty, it's good to expose him to a lot of different kinds of toys.  He'll probably pick which kinds he likes and ignore the rest.

5.)  Cats generally sleep all day.  Your cat sounds completely normal in his sleeping patterns.  My cat is generally napping unless I'm up and doing something, then he'll sometimes wake up and follow me around.  Cats are also nocturnal and often have most of their active period in the evening.  When my cat plays, he's almost always playing with me or with the other cat.  He rarely plays by himself- I imagine its not very stimulating to play alone.  Since your kitty is an only cat, he is mostly playing with you, because you are the only one around to play with.  Kittens are often play fighting and engaged in rough and tumble kinds of games to strengthen their muscles and tone their reflexes as they grow.  My kitty is 4 or 5  and he still loves loves loves wrestling with me and other cats.  He has this great upside down fighting style, where he rolls onto his back to entice other cats to wrestle him.  He's a goofball.

Feel free to keep asking questions- the forum's a place for learning!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
+1 to naked rats

All my boy cats have human names - Petey, Winston and Sam. My female cat is named Tetat (my brother was dating a girl, her little boy tried to call her kitty-cat but could not pronounce the K or the Y, it came out sounding like Tea-tatt, so it stuck as a name) All of my cats have 100 nicknames anyhow. A name may come to you in a few days, sometimes it's hard but then one will just click. Maybe a combination name, you pick something and your daughter picks something - like Panther Bob (that's dumb I know, but just as an example)

LOL My mom and niece got kittens out of the same litter. My niece (10 yrs old) said her kitten was Miley and Mom's kitten was Hannah. Mom didn't like the name Hannah, so she named her kitten Kitty-Girl. She never told my niece any different, so she wouldn't hurt her feelings. My niece still calls my Mom's cat Hannah and has no clue :)

Running and hiding is normal with a brand new kitty and he may never become a "greeter" when guests come over. My female is 12 years old and has always been skittish and will run, even when my boyfriend or I walk through the house. Petey and Winston will hide when a "stranger" comes over, but are very social with us. Sam greets anyone and everyone, he's a ham! All cats are different, you need to give him some time, he hasn't even been with you a week yet. He will be nervous for a couple of weeks, at the least.

Meowing, I read online that adult cats rarely meow at each other. Cats meowing at humans is a kitten like way of communicating with us, since they see us as a "mother" like figure, so to speak.
He may just be crying because he's nervous or he could just be a talker. My Petey and Winston are talkers, they will sit in another room and squall their heads off until I call them. Petey will meow back to me when I just talk to him, he has the most distinctive meows out of all of my cats. Tetat and Sam are very quiet and rarely meow.  I always ask my Petey, asking him what's the matter and ask him if he's momma's pretty boy, he carrries on a "conversation" and meows back when I talk to him and rolls around - it's comical :) When he's crying, just talk to him in a calm tone.

I have bought about 100 cat toys, they play with some, ignore most. They love their cat nip toys, especially if it's strong nip scented. Other favorites are these little plastic springs, those crinkly mylar balls (they're shiny) and any kind of fur mice. Once I see that they play with a certain toy, I will buy more of those. Try a laser light, my cats love to chase the laser light! You might have to show him how to play with toys, my Sam came off the streets, his mother was outdoors and he didn't learn to play as a little kitty, he learned from me by me playing with him with the toys.

Give him some time, it may take a month or so for him to come out of his shell :)

Offline PantherBabe

I"ve always had differently colored cats my entire life... and he is the first to make it difficult for us...  He's starting to come around.  He isn't hiding like he used to.. He just has his favorite bolt holes to sleep in. lol.  He's playing with my mom when she plays with the fishing toy, not all the time but occasionally.. and he loves the bows on her slippers. lol.  last night i heard a squeel... i got up to find out that he had hidden himself in a darkened doorway and waited for my mom to walk past in her slippered feet to go to the kitchen(her nightly trek to refill her water glass), and attacked her slippers!  lol. He naturally keeps his claws in with he's doing this. Its like he knows she cant heal properly due to being diabetic. He 'n I love to play wrestle... I got miniature claw marks on my right arm from his claws.. I do have a nail clipper and i trimmed his nails.. I had him on his back and he just laid there and let me do a pedicure. lol.  He knows what "nah-uh" means and will instantly back away or hop off the table.  I beieve he is a talker. He meows when he doesn't get his way, he meows when he's left alone in a room, he meows when he plays, I believe he doesn't know how to play.  There was no toys in that bathroom. The mother was indoor/outdoor kitty. There was just themselves to play and amuse themselves.  He is slowly learning how to play and its alright to play and to show his personality.  There is one jingle ball he bats around occasionally, a flat black one, lol.  I'll put a few of the mice toys up and one of the balls up and trade them for a pompom toy and another toy.  Its just odd that i haven't been able to name him.  Normally i've been able to tag the name that the kitty is telling me(even kittens) within the first 3 days of their stay with us.  I can't have any more kitties for i am allergic to cats.  My doctor said that with my medication I can have one short haired since i've been raised with cats and always had short haired until my long haired i had to rehome a month ago.  I do know he loves to get up on his hind legs and just sit there and look around at everybody and at the tv, just like a Meerkat.  I do want a simple name for him...  But i wouldn't mind having 2 names for him..  He is a snuggle butt and a cuddler. 
Thank you for all your advice/input**please keep doing it if you have something i might need/want to know**

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
My Winston does the "sneak" attacks, he'll wait until you walk past and then reach out and grab mine or my boyfriend's ankles. He doesn't claw either, just uses his paw, he's our naughty boy. :)

Good luck with the finding the right name for him! Since he likes to sit like a meerkat (I love when they do that!!)), maybe look at the names of the meerkats on "Meerkat Manor" It's a tv show on Animal Planet. Some of the boys have cute names :)
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html

Timon from the Lion King was a meerkat :)

Offline PantherBabe

O I know. I love that tv show!  I watch it daily.lol.  I'll check into the meerkat manor for names.. I know they have some really weird and awfully cute names for those boys...  I found out... I took out all 3 pompoms, 2 have a feather on them. and he went BERZERK!!!!  so he has the 3 pompom balls, 1 flat black jingle ball, and 1 bright red jingle ball out.  his favorite though it appears is the PomPoms... I took them out and just casually tossed them down on the floor and he went crazy!  Here's a picture of him with 2 of them.. He couldn't decide WHICH one to play with. He gives off the sweetest Very Low Meow... then its like its a floodgate is opened and he meows for awhile then he stops.  and while he's meowing he'll stare straight into your eyes and keep meowing.. and he HATES Thunder. lmao. he loves the light from the Lightning but Hates the Thunder(especially if its right over head or within a few miles of us, lol).  He does this little bug eyed look with front paws spread wide, takes off, then does it again with a undignified "meow". Here's a picture of him with 2 PomPoms.

Offline PantherBabe

Darnation!  lmao....  Too many names... I got the list that relate to "panther" got a list relating to Meerkat Manor......  HELP!  LMAO!!!  Im about ready to just say his name is "Boy"  or "mr. Kitty"  lmao. I could name a cat faster and easier when i was doing the sole decision rather than letting my daughter assist me in it...  and the cat helped me out by showing me their name in their eyes. lol. He loves to curl up on top of my CPU and stretch out to take a nap.

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
lol How about Mr. Kitty Boy  :) I call all my boys Kitty Boy or my Kitty Boys. My boyfriend jokes that the cats have so many nicknames that they probably don't know their real names....but they do :)

All of my cats are scared of storms. Tetat and Petey hide about 15 minutes before we even get hit, Winston will hide as soon as it hits or will lay on me if I am laying down. Sam will hide too, if it's a pretty hard storm.

Kids are funny about naming their pets, my niece has 2 cats at her mom's house - Zach and Cody and then she has her cat Miley at her Dad's house and tried to name my Mom's cat Hannah....she likes Disney  :yelcutelaugh:

The name game reminded me of one of my cats that took forever to find a name for her. I got a kitten about 10 years ago off of one of my friends, I wanted a boy because I already had Gunther picked out, but my friend's daughter wanted the only boy of the litter of 3. I had this scrawny little girl kitty, tried to think of a good name for the 8 weeks I was waiting to bring her home. Couldn't think of anything good. After I brought her home and had her about a week my Mom was watching Brittany Spears on TV. She laughed and said she was going to name my kitten Brittany. I threw a fit and said I was not naming my cat after Brittany Spears......it stuck and she became Brittany. I called her Beans or Brittany Beans, too, but can't remember where the Beans came from. I lost my Brittany Beans in 2008 to cancer.

I've always had black cats growing up, but they had a variety of names - Boo-boo (my first kitty when I was 5), Bear, Jasper, Porkchop, Pepper and Max. If I ever got another boy cat and it was black I'd probably name it Coal or Cole.

My cats like cardboard boxes and plastic grocery bags to play in. When they were little they'd get in 12 pack pop boxes. Now it's funny to watch a 15 pound cat and a 12 pound cat trying to squeeze into a 12 pack pop box!

Offline PantherBabe

my daughter is nearly 8 and she LOVES disney!  She watched Marmaduke on Friday night with some friends of hers... Well she came up with Duke from marmaduke... along with a whole list of names from movies...  I got out of the Black Panther Bagheera from Jungle Book on the simple technicality of her not being able to say the name. lol.  she has a speech problem that is minor but still there.. Back when Hannah Montana First Came Out YEARS ago...  We had a foster female, came from a hoarder's...  So i let her name that name with the rescue groups approval(they approved for it was cute, and they promoted in getting children involved in the rescue work). She picked out Hanaha Banana. lol.  Well this time she is having what writers call a "writers block".  I've seen a over-weight cat try to get into one. hilarious.  One Rescue kitty, was FAT.  He weighed over 20 pounds i swear. Normally I have a name picked out as well or the name was picked out or the name comes to me(like i said in past) within 3 days of them entering my home. 
We had a nice good long and loud thunderstorm this morning.  He was curled up in the crook of my elbow nestled against my side when it hit. i told him it was okay just noisy clouds. he seemed to settle down, then lightning cracked over head then immediate booming thunder and i swear i'm thankful that he kept his claws in because he started trying to dig his way under me. lol. i soothed him back to curling up then another one did the same, and he's right back to the digging...  He finally became exhausted and buried his head under my armpit and gave it up.  lol

Offline PantherBabe

view points/thoughts
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »
my boyfriend, his 2 rugrats, my rugrat and myself sat down at the computer, i got onto a cat name website...  and we started picking out boy cat names that we liked... and we have a list from the 5 of us...*btw i have 1 girl he has 2 girls*...  However the pronouncation is only guess-a-mates on my part.  We scrapped the old list for none of the girls could say the names.....  Here is a list of names that all of us(Me, Greg, Kristin, Amber and Holly--girls names are in order of their ages, lol).  However the girls and Greg know the final decision is upon me, since He is my kitty.
Dwaine(pronounced Dane)--Dark
Blake--Black or White
Deegan--Black Haired
Fridwolf--Peaceful Wolf
Wulf--Wolf
Thunder--Stormy Tempered
Corbin--Raven Haired
Raoul--Form of Ralph Wolf Counsel
Codie--Helpful
Kearn--Dark
Tod--Fox - Clever/Wily
Wolfric--Wolf Ruler
Codell--Helpful
Kearia(pronounced like Key Air A)-- Little Dark One
Dunn(pronounced done)--Dark Skinned
Keiran(pronounced like Car-Ann)-- Dusky/Dark haired
Ron--Song
Colemann--Dark Skinned
Dougal--Dark Stranger
Gavin--White Hawk
Colbey--Dark/Dark Haired
Rand--Variant of Randolph Wolf's Shield

Offline Macie_and_Emma

• Posts Too Much!
I like Colbey!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!

Offline PantherBabe

i got some major traininga nd honing on this kitten for Greg is allergic to cats too...  He is the same as me but a bit worse on reaction.. They cant be by his head and he cant pet them then rub his eyes(they got puffy and red).  So He's happy that i'm teaching the kitten that he can be by you without being on you, that he can snuggle and cuddle without being directly on top of you.. and it helps that the kittens personality is that way.  Also thankful that the kitten is taking to the "no head" rule.. basically that means that he cant be by a person's head.