Author Topic: Making your own hammocks and such questions  (Read 1096 times)

Offline KittyTango

Making your own hammocks and such questions
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »
When you make hanging cubes and things like that what do you use to make a stiff bottom?  I bought some cute fleece and wanted to try to make my own stuff for my boys (not that I don't love buying it for others) but want to know how to get stiff bottoms for like cubes and stuff.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Making your own hammocks and such questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:31:53 AM »
I don't know that most people do add for a stiff bottom.

Offline kscanuck785

• Posts Too Much!
    • http://ratsinpants.webs.com/ & http://www.etsy.com/shop/RatsInPants
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:34:28 AM »
I think most put 2 layers of fleece at the bottom of their cubes.
I don't personally make them, my girls don't use them at all.

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:35:55 AM »
I don't believe that there's any way to get a reliably stiff bottom on a cube, not one that will be machine-washable-friendly. I tend to place my cubes very close to shelf ledges, since my guys will use them more if their rumps are resting securely on something while they're still enjoying the cozy cube-hammock feel.

I only use one layer of fleece, since my guys are chewers to the max. More might help? Though probably only to a certain point.
Current are Alexander, Vanellope, Taffyta
R.I.P. Ondo, Jeremy, Iggy, Dai, Doze, Julie, Audrey, Stitch, Johanna, Lucy, Alphonse, Miriam, April, Monty

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:07 AM »
It only helps a little bit, but I've sewn cubes and such with an extra layer of cotton batting.

Offline MommaMeaghan

• Meaghan's Prints
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:44 AM »
Ditto on the hanging it right over a shelf! Sometimes I find 4 girls in a cube! lol

I sew an extra layer of fleece into the bottom of mine... they chew through it anyway... but it does help it be more sturdy.

Gone to the bridge: Clip, Sapphire, and Skylar

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
I have four bodies in my shelf-hung cube right now. ;D Four squishy, furry bodies that should not all be able to fit comfortably in that small baby-cube. But they've made enough extra openings in the corners that they manage. I think Ondo's head is sticking out the back corner.
Current are Alexander, Vanellope, Taffyta
R.I.P. Ondo, Jeremy, Iggy, Dai, Doze, Julie, Audrey, Stitch, Johanna, Lucy, Alphonse, Miriam, April, Monty

Offline KittyTango

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
So there isn't much you can do to make them stiffer.   I've made triangles with a piece of plasic cutting board (it is really thing plastic) and it seems to work ok, I do machine wash them even, but I was wondering what the rest of you use.  My rats really aren't chewers so that's good.

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »
I don't add anything to the bottom of my cubes. From what I see online, most sellers don't either. Perhaps some add a layer of batting/fleece throughout the hammock, but while it makes it stand better, it's still going to droop once some ratty bums crawl inside. Most people either have rats that don't mind the droop, or just hang the cube on a shelf so the shelf supports the bottom.

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
I don't bother adding anything to the bottom of my cubes either.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline Alexa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Flannel is less prone to stretching than fleece, and also if you run them in crosses a few times with your sewing machine like quilts, it helps a wee bit.
You can't make the bottom look flat while they're in it though.

Offline THScam2009

• Little Dreamers Emporium
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 01:15:49 AM »
I made my first hammock today! (Like one that I actually sewed and stuff!) I've never sewn before and actually made the honeycomb hammock. It looks pretty good to be hand sewn and by a first timer! LoL!

<br>

Offline THScam2009

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 01:48:45 AM »
Here it is. I'm sure you will do a much better job than me! LOL! Look at my stitching job! (Just don't make fun of it! LOL!)

I still have to trim off some strings and if I actually had a sewing machine, it would have been a lot better!!

<br>

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 03:03:31 AM »
thscam, if money is an issue, you should start checking out CL, yard sales, and salvation army type stores as they often have good sewing machines.  For singers, anything pre1970 is AWESOME!  After that they started to really suck, but the old ones are built really well, just bring fabric and thread with you so you can try it out.

Offline THScam2009

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 04:50:48 AM »
ROFL! My stitching is that bad? Lol! I know it is. Come to think of it, my mother has an extra sewing machine. I'll see if she'll let me borrow it. She doesn't sew much anymore anyway. The girls love my bad stitching though! Haha!

<br>

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 10:48:47 AM »
ROFL! My stitching is that bad? Lol! I know it is. Come to think of it, my mother has an extra sewing machine. I'll see if she'll let me borrow it. She doesn't sew much anymore anyway. The girls love my bad stitching though! Haha!

:poke: I think she meant because sewing by machine is a huge time saver over sewing by hand. Seriously, I can't even imagine tackling a honeycomb by hand. That's takes guts.

Offline THScam2009

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »
yeah. Plus the fabric I used for the cow print is almost like vinyl. It was really thick n tough so now my fingers are all soreaj lol!

<br>

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »

:poke: I think she meant because sewing by machine is a huge time saver over sewing by hand. Seriously, I can't even imagine tackling a honeycomb by hand. That's takes guts.
Thank you violet-its exactly what I meant :)  You can make waaay more hammocks in the time that you hand sew one.  And agreed, I never considering sewing something like that by hand, even when my previous sewing machine died lol.

Offline THScam2009

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »
Well it was indeed hard to do. And you can tell I got frustrated, confused and tired of doing it. I went to my mothers house and she letting me use her sewing machine. The first thing I made was one of these cubes. I didn't add an extra layer of fleece and it's really droopy. I think what will help that the most is how I hang it. I'll post a picture in just a second.

<br>

Offline KittyTango

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
My boyfriend bought me a sewing machine after watching me hand sew and Tie little knots in the fleece teepee I was making for my boys!  I'm so happy!  Some times he can be really nice, even if he hates the rats.

Offline lee3

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
i make some stiffer style hammocks for my cuties. i do it by using fleece interfacing. it's a very thick, loftier sort of interfacing (a sewing product that is used to make stiff collars, lapels, button panels, etc) that you can either sew on or iron on (fusible interfacing). the sew on goes in just like you would add batting. fusible has one side with plastic polyethylene fibers that melt and join the fabric together like an iron on patch. i use this when making hammocks out of silky or slippy fabrics or when i want a firmer hammock (as some of my rats prefer them to droopy fabric).

Offline jeffanie

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 06:11:59 AM »
i've stuffed certain hammocks and liners with batting, almost like a pillow, and it came out pretty stiff.

you could probably put some piping or cording in the corners to stiffen in.

or i suppose hide some plexiglass and extra fabric on the bottom layer, although you'd have to really sand down the edges and hand wash.