Author Topic: Girls peeing in weird places  (Read 1438 times)

Offline lovinpretty9

Girls peeing in weird places
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:34:20 AM »
I adopted 2 girls a few days ago.  One is about 6 months, one is around a year (guess as she was originally a petco rescue).   The older is on antibiotics for a UPI.  I really want them to get litter trained, but at this point I would settle if they would just go on the carefresh/bedding.  I have them in a pretty big ferret cage, and the tubes go out and around the cage.  Their preferred place to pee is in these tubes make nice little puddles.  It makes the cage look rather unsanitary and the tubes are a pain to clean.

When I first put the cage up I used carefresh for bedding and had a small flat tupperware of plain non-clumping, low-dust cat litter in the litter pan.  Whenever I found "raisins" or wet care fresh I scooped it up and put it in the litter pan.  They didn't seem to get the idea.

I read in the forum about someone using a towel as bedding, so today I switched out the carefresh for an old towel and left the litter box with a little bit of the clay litter mixed with carefresh.  Still peeing in the tubes.  Also peeing on the towel. 

When they are allowed their out of cage time I often put them on my bed to play and climb (I put out a few things for them to play and crawl on).  I always put their travel carrier out for them to retreat if they hear a scary noise, need a nap, etc.  They have also taken to peeing in this and then laying in it, despite the fact that I put their litter out for them during out of cage time.

I've yet to see either of them using the litter box for pooing or peeing.  Am I doing something wrong or am I just jumping the gun?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Girls peeing in weird places
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:41:39 AM »
Congrats on your new girls!   I'd switch the litter box to the carefresh instead of litter, you don't want them to eat the litter.   Can you take the tubes off and put caps on so they aren't peeing in those?   Put a towel down in the travel cage when they are out playing.   Training can take some time, and some rats never will, just keep picking up the raisins right now.   

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
I'd like to add: rats can't be litter trained with regards to peeing, just pooping.  So, even if they get the hang of the litter box, they will never just pee in it.

Offline Moe

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
I'd like to add: rats can't be litter trained with regards to peeing, just pooping.  So, even if they get the hang of the litter box, they will never just pee in it.

That's only partly true.

It is true that rats will urinate while in deep sleep. This is of course involuntary and totally unavoidable. For this reason I always let them keep a couple sheets of fresh toilet paper or paper towels in their beds (read replaceable card board box or washable hammoc). They will actually take the sheets and lay them down on their beds where they are going to sleep themselves.

Otherwise, if rats have good houskeeping habits, they will pick one or two places to urinate in the cage and just stick to those places. Now those places will usually not be in the litter box because most rats instinctually don't like to urinate where they deficate. However, some rats, given two litter boxes filled with two different materials will pick one to defecate in and one to urinate in.

Now, dribbling is different from urinating and is also unavoidable to a point. But there are certain things that we all know encourage it and certain things that discourage it. For instance, an overly clean cage encourages it. Or, an environment with competing smells (other animals, detergents, perfumes...) can encourage it.

My rats didn't become as organized as they are now until they were full adults. And then I introduced a rescue who had to learn everything from the other. So it's not going to happen overnight. Also, you can't "teach" good habits to rats the way you can to a dog or a cat, using praise or disapproval. They don't care. You can suggest things by moving their pellets into their litter box. But basically it's just a matter of letting them fulfill their own instincts (which are very good where hygiene is concerned) by providing them with the right space.

Offline lovinpretty9

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
Urinating while sleeping makes sense, they usually sleep in the tubes.  I wish I could close the tubes off at night, but I do not have covers for the tube holes (bought the cage from a friend that did not have any) and have yet to find replacement pieces for the cage/tubing.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
Oh, and if you need the green end caps and not the blue ones, they are here:
http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/ferretrail-funnel-home-4level-with-stand-discontinued.htm  Just click the link that says "replacement parts."