Author Topic: CN add on/keeping rats seperated?  (Read 764 times)

Offline Zoomzy

CN add on/keeping rats seperated?
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »
Hi all,

In my first post, I was racking my brain over which cage I should buy.. I figured that I'm going to spend at LEAST $130 on a decent cage anyway, so I might as well save up a little extra if need be and get the cage that I can get the most use out of/want the most.  ;D
I heavily considered the R-680, and even a Marchioro Tom that apparently fits five ratties (well, to be honest, I heavily considered at least 4 different cages) but at this point I'm totally burnt on lifting heavy cages out of their pans. No more of that. I've pretty much decided to go with the CN.. but being as the single level is the only one of the two that's within my price range at the moment (unless I can work out a price match deal through Petsmart), I'd like to know a little more about the CN in general before anything is set in stone.

First and foremost, you can technically say that I own five ratties as it is. My three boys live with me, and my boyfriend currently has "custody" of my two girls, both of whom reside happily with his own girls. I moved recently (and everything is in disarray), but eventually I plan on bringing my girls home and would like for them all to live in the same cage unit. I simply don't have the space for two cages, unless I were to stack them. As of now, I don't have the funds for a double CN, but I've read multiple times that Midwest has been talking about a CN add on in August. Naturally, that makes the single level CN a much more attractive option, but.. Do we know yet if this is true or not..? And does this make buying a single level a bad idea? Eventually, I really would like to own a double CN and plan on making it happen the moment its financially possible.

Second, I've heard about people getting Petsmart to match prices on CN's going for a lower amount at other websites. Is this true for the single level CN as well, or does this only include online items over a certain price?

How securely divided IS the double CN? Please forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I've never seen the CN in person and have no idea how the ramps are used to lock and divide cages. The closest I've come to an FN was in a box at my local Petsmart (sadly, they don't carry CN cages. Is it only an online thing?). The double CN is appealing primarily due to the fact that I can separate rats in one large cage.. but I'd hate for there to be any accidental matings/aggression through the bars. If I were to keep the boys on bottom, I imagine that it would be too difficult for them to get any of the girls pregnant through the bars above their head (I'm pretty sure that they're too fat and lazy to become expert contortionists, but the girls are a different story). Yesterday I was looking at our glass cutting board, and it gave me the idea to place plexiglass or something to that effect beneath 2nd level pan. I doubt that the rats would be able to get beneath it.

Last (I promise), how do you guys go about cleaning the OUTSIDE of your CN/FN cages? Clearly the cage--even the single level--is a monster, far too heavy to drag it into the bathroom or lug it outside to be hosed off. I figured I could thoroughly wipe down the outside of the cage with baby wipes or old cleaning rags to get the grime off of the cage bars while keeping the cage in the same place. Opinions? Thanks again..

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Re: CN add on/keeping rats seperated?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Welcome  :wave2:

Midwest has confirmed the add on, but they could always push the date back.  Also to keep in mind: buying a single plus an add on costs more than buying the double.  If you don't have enough upfront funds then that doesn't matter, but if you do it is a waste of money to buy it seperately.

The ladders do lock securely, but I zip tie them in place as well.  It is generally not reccomended to keep males and females in the same cage however, even seperated, because of the possibility of accidents (such as pulling the locking ladder out.)  Have you considered neutering the males or spaying the females?

My only gripe owning the CN is that the pans are plastic and are chewed, and too shallow for bedding.  You have to use fleece which can be a PITA.

The CN is on wheels, so I wheel it to the deck.  This doesn't work for up/down stairs though.  In that case, you have to disassemble it to give it a full scrub down in the shower, which is a PITA.  If you can wheel it outside though its no big deal.

Yes, it is for the single CN.  But why not just order it from www.allpetfurniture.com they have a single for 140.

Offline Zoomzy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
Smesyna -- so sorry. I somehow managed to forget about this particular thread. I didn't mean to come off as rude by not thanking you for your input sooner.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

I have actually been strongly considering having my males neutered. I'm a little apprehensive about the idea, since there are risks involved and what not. But it's a little cheaper to get males fixed than it is for females at my vet's office (well, in general it is. But to have three of them neutered means it will cost about the same or more to have the females fixed), and I kind of think that it could possibly be more beneficial to have them fixed anyway. They've been having semi-frequent spats and arguments as of late..  :doh: Maybe having them neutered would mellow them out somewhat.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with stairs and the like, as I live in a single story house. I think I could probably get away with wiping down the CN inside and out to keep the gunk from building up on the cage bars a couple times a week. I can probably also manage wheeling a CN out into the back yard to be hosed off about once a week or so, too.

Anyway, as I mentioned in a newer post, I now have quite a bit more to put toward a new cage. It's pretty much down to the CN or any rat-suitable Martin's cage (I have even been looking at some of their larger ferret cages). I suppose at this point, it comes down to putting the excitement on the back burner, and thinking logically about which cage choice would allow for more usable space in my room/in the cage/$$$ left over for new toys and fabric.  ;D

Thanks again for your input!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:04:29 AM by Zoomzy »

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:02:45 AM »
I love the CNs personally.  I have two - mostly they get cleaned "in place" or wheeled into the kitchen where I have more room, but like smesyna I will several times a year wheel them out onto the deck for power washing/hose down.

I would encourage you to neuter the boys.  Three of my seven are neutered, and two will be soon.  The other two are too old and have resp. issues making anesthesia inadvisable. Neutering will likely solve the aggression issues entirely.  My vet is extremely inexpensive ($50) and I look forward to one day having a single, mixed colony.

If you don't neuter the boys, I would suggest getting a piece of plexiglass cut to the floor dimensions rather than trusting the raised ladder.  But I'm a bit over-cautious in that area, lol.

You will LOVE those full-opening doors!
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:28:29 AM »
it depends on if you like bedding or fleece also if you should get a CN over a martins cage. i think id hate a CN/FN but have had martins for almost 14 years so i may be a bit partial ;)

this cage http://www.petblvd.com/cgi-bin/pb/MAR36267.html looks awesome, and is a steal at that price. someone on here also made it a flip top fairly easily, so it has good acess.

for martins cages, you could get the RUDD and split it into 2 cages (i believe its a 695 and a 680?) by zip tying up a ladder, and making an internal pan out of linoleum. there is NO way they are going to mate between 1/2" squared bar spacing, but toes would probably be bit, so the linoleum is a must. i did it before with a 695, to split between 2 sets of males and had no issues what-so-ever.

as for "oops" litters, my one boy recently escaped his 695 (no CLUE how it happened), and was found chilling between the cage pan, and outside of cage of another rat cage. luckily all my boys are now neutered, or i could have had potentially 6 pregnancy scares, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to have one sex altered when having males and females ;) also, having intact females so close by, can make males more agressive--just some food for thought ;)

Offline Zoomzy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:48 PM »
Again, very helpful information!

RatAttack59 -- I hear you, its hard not to be overly paranoid about your boy and girl ratties getting to each other behind your back.. If not only to prevent accidental pregnancies from happening, it would be good to get the boys neutered for the sake of putting the bickering to an end. Such inflated egos they have..  ::)
If I go with the CN, I had planned on putting a strip of hardware cloth cut to size between the divided sections (I think the hardware cloth would be thin enough to fit underneath the top section).. plexiglass on the top level, and then of course I'd be using the bass pans. Stranger things have happened of course, but that's a lot for a rat to get past. I'd probably keep the setup the same even after neutering the boys, simply to keep any toes/tails from being bitten up.

Mccauleywent73005 -- I'm really digging the RUUD idea. Of all the Martin's cages, I have ALWAYS liked the RUUD. Yeah, I'd still have to be lifting a big cage out of its base.. but I had recently been considering buying an R-695 for the boys, and an R-680 for the girls. The RUUD is essentially the same thing, right? It would definitely save me money, and it wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper/more expensive than the CN (after Bass pans and everything). The only thing about that idea is, my boys may chew through the zip ties (pre-neutered) if they wanted to get to the girls that bad. But then again I suppose there's always metal zip ties and/or j-clips. Regardless, it is something to think about.

I've also been checking out that same Marchioro cage for a while. I really like the looks of it, and I think I actually recall seeing the post where said person gave the cage a flip top.. how cool is that? Only reason why I have not already bought 2 of them is because I've read several reviews about chewed basses and plastic connectors (the things that keep the cage bars anchored to the base). The boyfriend has had my two girls in his Rat Manor for a while, so I'm not sure how prone to chewing through plastic they currently are.

Decisions, decisions.  ??? I guess I shouldn't rush this, it's kind of a big decision after all.. Off to drool over more pics of beautifully decorated CN's/Martin's for inspiration!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:08:20 PM by Zoomzy »

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »
no, definatly dont rush it. a good cage can last you a lifetime, so its something to seriously consider before purchasing.

i personally have never had a marchioro cage, but i do love the looks of that one, and they will send you replacement parts for free for the life of the cage (i think nomi said that--dont quote me) so that is something to consider as well.

for martins, i can attest to their quality. i had the same martins in use for 12 years- and only sold it because some of the pwdc was finally comming off and i wanted a "pretty" looking cage lol (bought a 695 and a 690((stupid decison should of got 2 695s))-then got 2 more 695's off of CL for $75 a peice) annnyyyway, they are really a great cage.

i have heard some stories about CNS rusting after a very short period of time, but i would ask more CN owners ;)

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »
Absolutely take your time!  That's a whole big chunk of change you are investing.

I haven't had any trouble with my CNs rusting, and I bought them both used.  My biggest complaint about the Martins (and they are GOOD cages, mind you - I have a bunch of those, too) is all the little nooks and crannies that I was constantly scrubbing out with a tooth brush.  I find the CNs easier to decorate, but the Martins aren't difficult.  If you get them, deff. go with the powder coating.  I have some older cages where the powder coating is coming off that I am actually painting; some I may sell, as I am seriously overloaded with cages atm.  One of mine is on loan to a friend.

With the Bass Pans, you should be fine without additional precautions.  They fit very snugly.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
I have a double CN divided into 2 cages with bass pans (the "bottom" level style pans) - Girls on the top level, boys on the bottom. Haven't had an issue, knock on wood, and don't think I will.

~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
I've had an issue with the CN getting a little rusty where the pieces come together.  However, I really really think that mine was from a "bad batch" since only one other person on this board shares the problem out of all the CN owners.  I know mine was one of their first ones (I got it used from someone that had gotten it when they first came out but all her rats were large males and like the FN better) so I think that might have been an issue that has been corrected.  As soon as I get around to it, I'm going to scrub the rust off and rustoleum it in the problem spots and that should take care of the issue.  I wish I was the original owner of the CN as I believe midwest would replace the cage for me as they seem to have wonderful customer service.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
@ smesyna - Rustoleum actually makes hammered metal spray paint!
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
@ smesyna - Rustoleum actually makes hammered metal spray paint!
Sweet!  Thanks for telling me.  It's cool that I can match it nicely.

Offline Zoomzy

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »
I actually noticed the hammer metal Rustoleum spray paint at Home Depot yesterday. Really cool.

The countless pics in the CN and Martin's threads are helpful, but even more so would be added personal experience and opinions. Given how many people on the forum use both brands of cages (and swear by them), I'm pretty inclined to trust whatever cage related input I receive from the members here. It's true that there are several real pros and cons to consider with each cage, but it seems as though it comes down to preference. Regardless of which one I choose, I want it to be the one that best meets the rat's needs, as well as my own. And it's going to be large either way, so.. I suppose I might as well work on making several possible spots for the new cage when I get back.

I really haven't heard much about the CN rusting, but I certainly don't doubt that it can happen. The CN can rust, the rats can chew the powder coating off the Martin's cages.. There's always something, lol.  :)

Maybe I should make it a point to have a cage picked out within the next several days so I don't spend forever jumping back and forth.  ;D

Offline Gypsyrags

• The road to my heart is paved with paws...
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »
i am getting a cn soon would this work if i wanted to work on introductions a step further or would this cause too much fighting.?? ???
In rescuing animals I've lost my mind, but found my soul.