Author Topic: One leveled critter nation big enough for 2?  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Resonance19

One leveled critter nation big enough for 2?
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »
Quick question, is the one leveled critter nation (just the smaller of the two) big enough for two rats? i would guess it was but im not sure..
This Newb needs some help and friends! btw i am the girl with reddish hair on the left.

Offline Pomlover2586

• Posts Too Much!
Re: One leveled critter nation big enough for 2?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:55:56 PM »
Yes- in fact i think it may be big enough for 3......but I KNOW it's big enough for 2
~Elaina~
Mommy to:
 :heart: ~Kreacher~ :heart: ~Dobby~ :heart: ~Neville~ :heart:

Offline possum4

• Posts Too Much!
  • all that we love becomes part of us. Helen Keller
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »
Dpending if it was males or females.........( the cage calculator will tell ) I would not go over 4...but my males are LARGE! I personally like a lot of room. I had two in my critter nation...but Artex passed away...and Jax so far will not accept intros to anyone else!     
Dear Ratatouille...I miss you more than you'll ever know, thank you for the time we shared, This is not good bye...as I will see you when I cross that bridge...xoxo

Offline TamSmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:43:37 AM »
I have females and I would feel comfortable keeping 4 or 5 in it. Boys would probably be 3 or 4 since they are big squishes

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:30:33 AM »
It's big enough for 6. The longer I stay on this forum, the smaller numbers people say to put in cages. I have 6 girls in half my FN, and 5 boys in the other. They have more than enough space. When I had my two older males, they have a half to themselves and used all the room. It depends on the rats. But it's big enough for 6, but I wouldn't stuff it. I won't be getting anymore girls after mine pass, and my boys will have a doubl FN to themselves.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
It's big enough for 6. The longer I stay on this forum, the smaller numbers people say to put in cages. I have 6 girls in half my FN, and 5 boys in the other. They have more than enough space. When I had my two older males, they have a half to themselves and used all the room. It depends on the rats. But it's big enough for 6, but I wouldn't stuff it. I won't be getting anymore girls after mine pass, and my boys will have a doubl FN to themselves.
I'm personally one of the people that like to give my rats extra room, but I too have noticed some ridiculousness.  It's like its turning into a competition of who has the biggest cage with the fewest rats.  It probably scares off people that don't want to be chastised for having six rats in a cage that can fit six  :doh:  I personally have six rats in a double, but I'll say this: they mostly just use half of it anyway, so sometimes the extra space isn't all that appreciated by them anyway.

To the OP: Most people grossly underestimate the size of a CN until they see one in person.  36x24x25 of cage space doesn't sound like that much until you see it in person.  From your other posts though, it sounds like a martins 680 is closer to something you can afford and it can fit three.

Edited because I made a mistake on cage measurement.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:43:22 PM by smesyna »

Offline Resonance19

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
ok thanks guys :D
This Newb needs some help and friends! btw i am the girl with reddish hair on the left.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »
Smesyna, I also wonder about others with 6 in a FN/CN. Because literally a few months ago, everyone was telling newbies that 6 could fit, but 5 would be better. Now people are telling them 3-4. What about the people who got up to 5-6 before everyone changed their minds? It's silly to me.

I like to give extra space, as well. But my mum needed my other FN more than me. :P My furballs get tons of free range time, and honestly don't use all the space they have anyhow. Once the girls pass, I'm limited to 4 boys in a double FN. But they definitely are not squished by any means. :P It really is very important to know your rats.

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »
I have a 2 story FN, I had 3 boys in each level. Most of my guys were around 2lbs. I might have gone up to 4 in each level, 8 in the total cage. But I had big guys. I probably wouldn't do more than 5 in each level, depending on their size. Girls are much more active than boys, so I would actually put fewer in as they seem to need more room.

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
I'd be happy to put 4-5 rats in a cage that size as long as all the space was used wisely. 
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline Purplerat1220

• Pshhh..I so don't spoil my rats
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
I have two boys, now one :'( is my single CN. They have TONS of room! For boys I wouldn't put more than about five just so they have their own space!
Play hard at the rainbow bridge Oliver "Ollie"

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
Girls are much more active than boys, so I would actually put fewer in as they seem to need more room.

I agree with that, though both my boys are nearly as hyperactive as my girls :P

I've had four in a single, and that is the most I'd put personally. I had three girls (one handicapped) and a boy in it, and I thought it was just enough room. They had been in a double, but after Bella lost use of her back legs, I downsized to make it easier on her.

Currently, I have two in the bottom half and one in the top half. After Fredrick's lady friends are QT'd and spayed, they'll be two in the bottom and three in the top. Some people would put all five in one half, but I like to give them as much room as possible. (Plus, Fuzz is male aggressive, and bloodshed would occur  ::) ).

About the cage calculator saying the CN is big enough for six... I personally prefer to use 2.5 cubic feet/ rat minimum, since 2 cubic feet is quite small if you think about it.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline dream_chaser023

• Rat Tails
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
I'm personally one of the people that like to give my rats extra room, but I too have noticed some ridiculousness.  It's like its turning into a competition of who has the biggest cage with the fewest rats.  It probably scares off people that don't want to be chastised for having six rats in a cage that can fit six  :doh:  I personally have six rats in a double, but I'll say this: they mostly just use half of it anyway, so sometimes the extra space isn't all that appreciated by them anyway.

To the OP: Most people grossly underestimate the size of a CN until they see one in person.  36x24x25 of cage space doesn't sound like that much until you see it in person.  From your other posts though, it sounds like a martins 680 is closer to something you can afford and it can fit three.

Edited because I made a mistake on cage measurement.

the rat cage calculator says 5 rats (remember you need to take the measurements of the stand out of the equation ;)) and more then that would be a bit tight.  As someone who regularly works with the public in animal care, I like to use the calculator as a bases for established numbers in cages.  However, when it comes to personal experience I like to recommend that people look into a cage that can fit 1 or 2 more rats then what the calculator says, mainly because of cleanliness.

I have had the My First Home Multi Level Ferret cage and a FN 142 (which I have also used as a 141).  With the first cage I had 4 rats in it when I first bought the cage, but the calculator said that 6 could live in it.  My colony was getting along real well and any smell from the cage wasn't noticeable till cage cleaning day (6 to 7 days later).   When I added another rat to my colony (totaling 5, a number still under the calculator recommendations), I suddenly had dominate fights between 2 of my girls from the original 4.   Smell also became more noticeable sooner.

I then upgraded to a FN 142 and fighting stopped (with rare occasional squeaks here and there) and smell was practically non existent (with sticking to my once a week cleaning (every 6 to 7 days).  time went on and my numbers were back down to 4.  I adopted 2 ratty girls and after quarantine, I split my FN142 into 2 parts and had the new girls on the bottom and original girls on top.  Having the 4 girls on the top one section did create a smell before cleaning day, but once the girls were all introduced and the cage opened back up to a 142, the smell would only be existent again on cleaning day and it wasn't even that bad. (cage for 10 housing 6 rats).   

After loosing one of my girls to old age, my numbers were down to 5, and because of a few things popping up in my life, I tried out having all 5 in only a 141 to see if cleaning would be a bit easier.  The smell was horrible 2 to 3 days before cleaning day.  I opened the cage back up to a 142.   As of now, I only have 2 girls left.  I have the cage built up as 141.  The smell is practically non existent once again (cage for 5 only housing 2 and cage cleaning being every 7 days).

This is my reasoning for my numbers, but I do make sure tell people that this is what the cage calculator recommends, and this is what I would recommend through my personal experience. :)

EDIT to add, that I have also had a customer who came into the store for advice.  She was adopting two girls from a local rescue and was wanting some advice on cages.  I had showed her the only cage we really have that is suitable (Rat Manor) but recommended she look into the new CN 161 (it just came out at the time) and told her my experience with its sister cage (FN 141).  She came back about a month or 2 later and pretty much said thank you for the recommendation and that she is absolutely in love with her CN 161 for her 2 girls. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:05:04 PM by dream_chaser023 »

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
The FN and CN dimensions without the stand are 36 x 24 x 24 - or 20736 cu" which at 2 cu feet per rat is six rats, not 5.

Sometimes my bigger boys would do nearly as well in a shoebox for all they move around, but I do like four or five in a CN.  When you open up both halves, there is more flexibility, so 10 or 12 is not really a problem.  I have five in one CN and six in the other (four and two - babes still haven't fully integrated) but I've had as many as 11 in the one with no problems.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Sun of Samsa

• Posts Too Much!
    • Leah on Veggies
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
Definitely big enough for 2. I wouldn't put 5 in a single level if there were only 1 shelf though.. the more hammocks and shelves, the more ratties it can comfortably hold (up to the upper limit of 2 cubic feet/rat). With my FN downsized to half size, I didn't feel comfortable with my two girls having just one shelf. They were extremely hyperactive and falling over each other as they scrambled around the hammocks during their most active times. That meant lots of extras vor them, and then they were fine. But 5 rats.. without added shelving and hammocks that's just space they can't even use, and it would still be crowded.

Offline Purplerat1220

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
but I've had as many as 11 in the one with no problems.
Do you mean in a single or double?

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
They mean double.

Offline Purplerat1220

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »
Just making sure :P

Offline Resonance19

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 01:30:37 AM »
I'm gonna get the one leveled one from petsmart (only 5 bucks somethin for shipping :D) when i get back home tomorrow (or soon)

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 05:54:36 PM »
Smesyna, I also wonder about others with 6 in a FN/CN. Because literally a few months ago, everyone was telling newbies that 6 could fit, but 5 would be better. Now people are telling them 3-4. What about the people who got up to 5-6 before everyone changed their minds? It's silly to me.

For a single CN/FN, I've definitely always said six could fit, and five is better. 3-4 is a fine number, but, if people have 5-6 in there then there isn't anything wrong with that, either. It depends a lot on the individual rats, their activity level, how often they get out, etc. also. Usually I say, the maximum is six, and then it's a good idea to subtract one just in case you have more active rats who may end up needing more room. Just a nice rule of thumb to use. :)

Offline Ashmonster

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
I have 4 cohabitating in my single CN. Though honestly, they spend most of their time smushed together in their sputnik or hammocks anyway. Silly ratties. :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline SpinningLoaferz

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
i dunno if im gonna get slammed for this or not but I have 11 boys in my double CN, and i think it fits them just fine, the calculator for the double (without the stand) says you can fit 12, and of course i wouldnt add anymore. They all get out for atleast 2 hours a day. All of my boys get along great besides the occasionaly squabble over who gets the last pea or who gets the best hammock  ::)  lol. I do clean it every 3-4 days and spot clean/change resting pads every 2 days and there is virtually no smell.  They have all that space yet they tend to not even use the bottom level and squish in the same hammock together..haha.. I have also added many of my own levels and hammocks so there is virtually no wasted space. If there was just the basic level in there i would definitely keep maybe about 8 maximum.  Ideally i would like to get a cn add on if they ever make one to add on to the cage for my 11 boys, but then im sure they would all just stay in the very top and not use the rest of it. lol.  I just wanted to show that 11 boys can be happy in a double CN, but it depends on the rats. You should know if they are squished or unhappy. Here are examples of my added levels in the cage for some ideas of how to use space wisely

Offline Purplerat1220

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
You weren't getting dumped about it! It was me..I thought you meant 11 rats in a single! Sorry for the misunderstanding! Btw I LOVE your cage setup!!!

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
 :toothy10: WOW I love your cage! Amazing!

Offline SpinningLoaferz

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »
lol i wasnt the one who posted before about the 11 boys..i just saw that post and thought.."hey i have 11 in a double too!" lol... just thought i would speak out about it since everyone else was debating about how many rats should be caged in a cn. thankyou btw ive finally found a setup i love. (and the boys love of course. :))

Offline Resonance19

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:26 PM »
yeah from what ive heard so far 11 is fine for a double because its 6 and 5 (im assuming)

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »
A double is one big cage, so its not 6 in one half 5 in the other its all of them in the whole thing.

Offline Resonance19

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 01:14:20 AM »
oh ok. nvm dont listen to me!Lol

Offline Lizzy96

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »

where is everyone getting those white wire add on levels ? I see them in so many pictures of people's cages and i would like to know where it is possible to get them ?             

Offline SpinningLoaferz

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »
i got mine at walmart in the kitchen section...they are just pantry or closet shelves so you should be able to find them in the "Home" section of any major store such as walmart, meijer, target...ect..

Offline Lizzy96

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
oh, LOL , thanks !