Author Topic: CN size and Rustoleum?  (Read 492 times)

Offline Zoomzy

CN size and Rustoleum?
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:47:46 AM »
For the past several weeks, I have been mulling over several cages within the $130-$140 range, knowing that I'd have to reach down in my pockets and dig deep for anything substantially over that amount. Although my rats are *really* in need of a larger, comfortable cage, I have successfully managed to confuse the crap out of myself in choosing one.. meaning they're still in the same old cage. :(

Fortunately, I am significantly less limited on cage options. I found out yesterday that fortune had decided to smile upon me, and long story short.. I am now able to afford a DOUBLE CN! Needless to say, I am ecstatic -- even the idea of possibly getting a single CN or a nice eBay flight cage for the boys was exciting. I keep telling my rats that they'll be getting a new cage soon. ;D

Anyway, I've yet to actually make the purchase because I'm somewhat daunted by the size (I had planned on ordering it from allpetfurniture.com, as I've only heard good things about them. If anyone here has had a less than stellar experience in ordering through them, please feel free to let me know about it.)
I know that the double CN is tall and wide, but again I have only seen pictures of the CN/FN set up. I don't want to put anyone off, but would it be possible for someone to post a picture of the R-695 next to a CN if you own both cages, and it isn't terribly inconvenient? That or, maybe do your best to explain how much bigger the CN is in comparison (I know that each section can hold up to 5 rats like the R-695). I was also wondering about how many cans of Rustoleum I'll need to coat a single BASS pan, as well as where Rustoleum can be located? I had planned on going to Lowe's in the morning to see if they had any. I would just order a R-695 to save on space and money (and keep my relatives from freaking out over a massive cage), but I hear that its on back order.. and having to lift one more cage out of its base does not appeal to me at all. Besides, who here doesn't want to spoil their ratties.... right?

Again, so sorry to continuously ask CN related questions.. I just couldn't contain my excitement. :-X I'm still blown away by the fact that the boys may very well be getting one soon!

Offline Zoomzy

Re: CN size and Rustoleum?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
So sorry to have posted this twice! Was temporarily disconnected from the internet mid-post and refreshed the page. I'm not exactly sure how to delete this second thread, unless a mod is supposed to..?

Again, my apologies.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:11:09 AM »
I don't have pictures to share, bu I do have a pair of CNs in use and LOVE them.  That said, I can  wheel them out onto the deck to power wash them a couple of times a year (I do an in-place scrub during other cleanings).  Being on wheels makes it easy, and I use both top and bottom for storage.

Edit: Lowes should have the Rustoleum - that's where I bought mine.  We also have the Bass pans.  Plan on 2 cans.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
A single CN fits the same amount of rats as the 695 (both six but less rats is better) they're just shaped differently. To find out if it will fit, go measure the spot you have in your room.

Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, Benny's, Walmart, etc all carry rustoleum.

I am thinking though, if you are going to buy bass pans, you might be better off with a martins since it already comes with a deep base.  FOr a double CN the bass pans shipped are 65 for me.  I went and bought them but thats because I already had the cage so it was cheaper than buying a Martins.  Just my take on it anyway.

Offline Zoomzy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

Regardless of which cage I get, be it the double CN or a Martin's R-695 (providing they get them in again soon, as the rats needed a new cage like yesterday), I know where I would put it. I already have two different pre-measured spots in my room. Really, I just wanted to get a better idea of the CN's size in person.. When I look at the pictures in the CN thread, I can tell that they are large cages. I just know that I have no apparent concept of size, and I figure that the CN will be a lot larger in person than I had expected initially. Honestly, though.. the same thing is probably true for the Martin's though.

I'll have to hit up Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart for some Rustoleum today to figure out about how much I'll end up spending (if I go the CN route).. For me, the bass pans are about $56 shipped.. I won't rule out the R-695 entirely.

Decisions, decisions.. Regardless, it's nice knowing that I can afford to choose either one when before I was limited to maybe 3 cages under $150.