Author Topic: i need name help....Storyseeker if you are out there.  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
i need name help....Storyseeker if you are out there.
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »
Ok i got four new male rats. They are five months old. I cant post pics(stupid phone) one is a pew. One is a hooded(black) and two are black masked. One has stripe on forhead and the other has a stripe over his right eye. Since you picked wonderful names for my other two boys please help!!!! Anyone else have ideas. My other boys are named romulus and remus
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline Pomlover2586

• Posts Too Much!
Re: i need name help....Storyseeker if you are out there.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »
My boys are Dobby and Kreacher..... you could try Sirius, Albus, Regulus, Severus, Voldemort, Hagrid, Weasley, Lupin, Malfoy, Draco, Lucius, Goyle, Wormtail, Padfoot, Prongs.

you could also go with Greek god names....
~Elaina~
Mommy to:
 :heart: ~Kreacher~ :heart: ~Dobby~ :heart: ~Neville~ :heart:

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
*browses forum and perks up in surprise at the mention of her name. 

What? Who? I didn't do it.   ;D

Oooh.  New bubs.   Okay, if you're looking for any old thing, I like the idea of gods too.   Perhaps Roman deities in conjunction with your Roman wolf boys?     

Roman Gods:
Hoodie:  "Bacchus", after the God of Wine and  Hootenanny.   Because his dark colored head proves he's had his head hanging in the wine vats. 
PEW:  "Apollo" the God of Light and Truth.  White is the color of purity and light in the west.
Maskies:  "Pluto" and "Cerberus"  God of the Underworld and his buddy the 3 headed dog who guarded the entrance to the underworld.   Reasoning being, like raccoons and bandits, masked boys aught to always be up to nefarious underworld deeds even if they are really sweet little puddin's.

Moving right along...

Roman Kings:
Since the original boys are also named for the founders of Rome, you could name your others after Roman leaders?  Since Romulus was the first king...how about the names of the earliest kings of Rome before it became a republic?

"Numa" after Numa Pompilius, the second king of Rome.  He was known for establishing religion and agriculture.  A good name for a thoughtful pudgy little greedy boy.

"Tully"  after Tullus Hostilius the third king of Rome.  He taught Rome the ancient art of war.  ("Hostile" king?)  Is one of them a bit of a scrapper?

"Ancus" after Ancus Martius  the fourth king of Rome.  Did a lot of beautifying of Rome.  A bit of a decorator or busy body?

"Tark"  after Tarquinius Priscus the fifth king of Rome.   Not Roman by birth, but a heck of a social climber.  Etruscan by birth and traveled a long way to come to Rome.  Good name for an explorer rat?

"Serv" after Servius Tullius, the sixth king of Rome.  Son of a slave so looked out for those less fortunate than himself.  A friend to the underdog.

"Lucius" after the last king Lucius Tarquinius aka Tarquin the Proud.  He was a self promoting bossy boss. 

Or if you want to go with the better known and colorful and often crazy Emperors who came with and after the fall of the Republic:
Julius (Et Tu Brute?)
Augustus (Fought Antony and Cleopatra)
Tiberius (Rather Nutty)
Caligula  (Crazy Insane)
Claudius (Finally a little less of the crazy.  A builder and a lover)
Nero (Fancied himself such an artist he watched Rome burn while he played music)
Vespasian  (Known for placing a tax on urine (!!), oddly appropriate considering rats are such notorious piddle monsters.   And oh yeah, he started building the Colosseum)
And lest you think they're all nutty, Five good Emperors:
Nerva
Trajan
Hadrian
Antoninus Pius
Marcus Aurelius (learner and philosopher)
Followed by:
Commodus  (Of Russell Crowe "Gladiator" fame.  Such a stinky emperor that folks named their toilets after him)
Constantine (First Christian Emperor. A pretty decent guy.  Of "Arch of Constantine" and "Constantinople" fame.)
Romulus Augustulus (Last emperor before the fall of Rome.)

If nothing here jumps out at you, give me some themes to work with and I'll be happy to play some more?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:58:57 PM by Storyseeker »

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
Thanks guys. now im thinking of keeping with my theme with rom and remus. give me a while to sort out their names. lol
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
So you are wanting to continue with 'wolf' names and/or 'r' names?

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
Heres what im thinking.... Pew-APollo  for sure(thanks storyseeker) other names im thinking on: servius, severus, sirius, rubeus' tark, ill hopefully figure this out. i was gonna try to find names that ended with the 'us' sound.

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
You'll find plenty of 'us' names in the Roman pantheon and history for sure since it's a common Latin suffix!  :)

Apollo kind of stuck with me too.  Our little PEWs need names worthy of their wonderful yet strangely underrated selves.

Ooh!  Edit: Similar to Severus..."Silvanus"  who was the god of woods and fields. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:38:39 PM by Storyseeker »

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
I need to mention at five months old they are huge.healthy.and super lovable. plus they all are dumbos!!

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »
 :BlueDumboSmile:

So...pics soon.  Please.

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
As soon as i can get my camera to my mother inlaws. at home i get on here via cell phone. not only can i not post pics but i cant see anyones pics that they post!

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
We had a momentary mythological theme and ended up with Zeus and Styx.  I know Styx isn't a god - was thinking of the river, not the band.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:54:14 PM »
Storyseeker...im curious you are so good at names what are all your rats names.

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »
@Ratattack-Zeus and Styx is awesome!   I have this mental funny image, accurate or not, of a big fawn colored squish and a much smaller scrappy little guy.  :)   Plus, you know, the whole mythology thing.

@Melissaratmama-Thanks, though I wouldn't say I'm good at names.  Sometimes an idea just sticks but I think it all boils down to what folks are partial.  My boys?  It's kind of an amusing story.    I got my kids from Phoenix Gate Rattery.  One of her lines of rats have started producing little black selfs while she's working through some new outcrosses (I think I have that term right).   In her wonderful sense of literary wittiness, she chose to name the black babies after names of places and characters from the works of  horror writer  H.P. Lovecraft.  She did this for at least a couple of generations, 'cause y'know, creepy ickle black rats aught to have creepy ickle black rat names.     

So like I've said, I'm a storyteller and it struck me that I could do a little ratty PR and include my new babies into kids' programs in some capacity.   I knew I'd be working with parents of children in an uphill battle to prove that rats are not vile plague factories who will eat your face off.   So I kind of thought having black rats(IE: creepy black satan spawn) named after hell gods who cause madness just by viewing their faces might be a slight road block in promoting ratty love to skittish parents.  Call me crazy.    :BlueDumboSmile::

But I loved the horror literary theme, and because of my storytelling, started going through my list of professional storytellers for inspiration.   After that it was easy.  I'm from Alabama, and I adore storyteller Katherine Tucker Windham.  She's from Selma, Alabama, and wrote several collections of state ghost stories and lore.  Her first one was 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey.    Jeffrey was a ghost she says haunted her house at the time she wrote the book.  He became kind of her professional mascot.      So, voila,  my rats are The Alabama Ghost Boys and are named Jeffrey, Tucker, and Windham.

And just cause, here's the last pics I posted of them here:  http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99999999/topic,4072440.0   

(Hint Hint, post your new boys)  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:22:13 AM by Storyseeker »

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:34 AM »
I cant im on a cell phone. But when i go to my mom inlaws ill be sure to. I cant even see your pic although i think ive seen them once when i was on at her house. I remember seeing a post titled my alabama ghost boys! Lol

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:01 AM »
I know this is off topic but are we allowed to post a question on here asking if anyone knows any info on a breeder. I just found out my 4 new boys came from a rattery here in michigan

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »
I'm not sure.  I know something like speaking ill of a rattery by name on a public forum is potentially libelous and not allowed, but if you're looking for general factual information on a rattery's practices, or even just how to contact a rattery I can't see how that's a problem.   If your rattery doesn't have an online presence to research yourself, I'd PM one of the mods and ask if they can help direct you to contacting them.  Maybe someone knows someone?

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
@Storyseeker - Styx was a big squish of a hands-off agouti biy, and his brother Zeus is a big squish of a black berk who still doesn't like to be picked up, but bruxes like crazy once out of the cage and cuddling  ;D .  Oddly, I've never had a fawn or beige boy.  Several girls, though.

My older daughter has taken to naming her girls after female scientists.  We have Nettie Stevens (chromosomal determination of gender) and Anita Roberts (mother of TGF-Beta) now, lost Rosalind Franklin (discovery of the structure of DNA) soon after she arrived.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »
Well now im conflicted. I found out the boys came from a rattery. The girl didnt give me any register papers and said she didnt have any. I did go on the rattery web site and see baby pics and their parents pics  give me a bit beffre i decide on names.. Thanks for everyones ideas!

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
Conflicted?  Why would them coming from a breeder make you conflicted?

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »
Well i thought they were registered and thought i couldnt if they were. But i know now that they are not papered.i didnt even know they came from a rattery until the girl pm`d me this morning. And the rattery has some bad reviews. Hoping the little guys wont have any health issues down the road. But yes i am switching their names now. Just dont know what names yet.  Pew will be Apollo.  By going on the breeders website  i saw pics of the rats i got. The hoodie is actually a varieback?? One of the masked she has down as an eyepached dumbo?? And the other is a mocked mask capped? Confused. But i dont care about markings. I also dont plan on being to strict on a theme. Cuz then it take forever to decide. Lol!!!

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
Ah.  No, don't worry about that affecting what you name them.   Like with dogs or cats, there is an official 'registry' name which has to be unique to the animal, and then the unofficial 'pet' name.   

Basically, even if one of my boys had been named "Px C'thulu",  I could have still named and called him "Jeffrey".   The registered name only matters if you're using your little guy as a breeder in your program, and then it's used to track lines.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
Can't wait to see pictures!  For the first time in ages we don't have any pews in the house (I do have a BEW, though  :) )
I like the name Apollo.  You could go with a space theme - Gemini, Cassini, Prometheus, Odyssey, Hubble, Messenger...
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
Heres where im at so far.......the black variegated dumbo- Severus. The black mismarked(not mocked mask oops sorry the mom is a mock masked) capped dumbo- ?..... The pew dumbo-Apollo... and the black eye patched dumbo-?   Grrrr i have such trouble picking names. Lol. Also what is the difference between an albino and a pew? Apollo eyes dont even look pink!!!!!!

Offline Storyseeker

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »
I'm only going by an article I read a few months back, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong.    I don't think there is any difference in a PEW and an albino visually.  As I understand it most PEWs refer to albinos.  But, I think there's some other varieties who look like PEWs due to dilutes and assorted other genetic pot lucks.  For all intents and purposes it doesn't matter though. 

Offline daratter

• Rattie raisins for all!
    • Phoenix Gate Rats
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
The difference between albino and PEW is that all albinos are PEWs but not all PEWs are albinos. This difference is in the genetics - albinos are always 'cc', PEWs are either ablinos 'cc' or a multidilute that makes the rat appear so washed out its a PEW.
I hope you get to keep the boys- though from a breeder's persective, I would definately be miffed that they were placed without my knowledge or consent but generally as long as I know where they end up in a good home and I can stay in touch with the new owner then I let them stay. Even if you don't know their health now, they should be well tempered and once you get in touch with the breeder, you can ask them about thier background.

Come visit us at www.pxrats.com