Author Topic: ZOMG! My first post. :) Where do you get most of your ratties furniture?  (Read 930 times)

Offline Kermmit

• Ritten
Hello. My name is MyUnique, yes, that is my real name. :) I'm 14 years old, I live in America. Currently, I have one rat named Cosmo. Don't worry, I am getting him a pal very soon. Until then, he'll be out, bothering me whenever I'm home.  ;)

I had five other rats. Three in one cage, two in the other. One of them became sick and spread the virus to the others. I was not knowledgeable and I didn't know what to do. They all died. I don't talk about it much, so I'm not going to go any further. It makes me very upset just thinking about it.

Anyways, I'm here so that I can provide the best for Cosmo and his future friend. :) I came here looking at cages and it inspired me. He has an outdoors cage for when it is nice out and an indoor one. The indoor one must match my room which is red, black, and white. The outdoor cage doesn't matter. xD I don't know why I told you that, but I did. Tehe!

Now, onto the point of this... Where do you get your ratties furniture??

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
A lot of us make our own. People also sell it, if you look in the market place, you can find sellers there. Also local pet stores will carry furniture for your ratties as well.

Also, Welcome!!  ;D

Offline Pomlover2586

• Posts Too Much!
Either sellers on here [Smesyna is AMAZING!], Target, Walmart, the Dollar Store, Petco, Petsmart, Home Depot or I make my own.

It really depends on what the item is.....whether it's hammocks, liners, huts, roped, toys, etc...
~Elaina~
Mommy to:
 :heart: ~Kreacher~ :heart: ~Dobby~ :heart: ~Neville~ :heart:

Offline SassyGirl

OK this is weird - one of my best friends from high school was named Kermit and had a dog named Cosmo (well he had the dog until he got a divorce and lost the doggy custody battle).

Welcome to the forum!

As far as furniture, we have a hide out house thing that I picked up at Pets Mart, I made a little tube thing out of a old oatmeal canister and the rest is hammocks I purchased off of here.
Marcie
Mommy to Madeline (4 1/2) & Marshall (1)
"Grandmommy" to Sassy, Ariel, Julie & Butterfly

Offline Kermmit

• Ritten
Thanks. :)
I didn't know about the market place. I will check that out.

All of the pet stores near me sell rats, which I don't really condone. So, I was more talking about... dollar stores or something where people may find hidden treasures.

Thanks again, though.

This was in response to the first post. :)

That is odd about your friend. I'm not even sure how I got this nickname. I don't look like a frog, I promise!!

Offline SassyGirl

Thanks. :)
I didn't know about the market place. I will check that out.

All of the pet stores near me sell rats, which I don't really condone. So, I was more talking about... dollar stores or something where people may find hidden treasures.

Thanks again, though.

This was in response to the first post. :)

That is odd about your friend. I'm not even sure how I got this nickname. I don't look like a frog, I promise!!

Oh his wasn't a nickname, it was his given name.  His parents must have had a sense of humor  :yelcutelaugh:
Marcie
Mommy to Madeline (4 1/2) & Marshall (1)
"Grandmommy" to Sassy, Ariel, Julie & Butterfly

Offline MMak

• Horse & Rat Enthusiast
    • The Critter Cove
Besides making online purchases from the many talented people here, the next best tip is to be creative!
When you're walking through the aisles in the store, just ask yourself "would my rats enjoy something like that in their cage"
or brainstorm what you could make out of a certain object.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline Kermmit

• Ritten
Thanks you guys for the welcomes. :)

Haha. Kermit isn't the worst name I've heard. I think it's pretty cute. I much prefer it over my actual name.

Offline Victoriaa

• Posts Too Much!
Hey, I'm not so new but don't have my rats yet... Anyways..

I'm Victoria, I am 12 - almost 13 years old and I live in Ontario, Canada.

Welcome to the BEST forum EVER. There's some really amazing people on here...smesyna...Scubbs...Shrute...I could go on and on, but these are people that stick my mind :P

I get all my stuff at my local mall which has many stores, but only 3 I use. Food Basic's, Home Hardware, and Dollarama Plus. I recently made a thread showing off what I got. You should check it out! I believe its called "Local Mall Haul - Great Deals, Good Stuff" :)

Congrats on finding this great forum!

Offline oatsnyogurt

• It's a good thing rats don't have thums!
Welcome!
I make all my own hammocks ;D, but I often find goodies at thrift stores like 'Goodwill' or 'Value Village'.
Things like baskets, hats, bowls, sometimes water bottles, baby toys, and the occasional fleece blanket.
RIP Radar, Zapper, & Cheerio <3

BLUE CAMAS BANTAMS: Specializing in Bantam BBS Plymouth Rocks, Bantam Barnevelders, Mille Fleur and Porcelain d'Uccles

Breeding Fancy Mice: Specializing in Splash, Himalayan, Satin and Fuzzy

Offline kayleys_hammocks

hi, welcome to goosemoose!
I actually make rat hammies/furniture.
There is a link to my site under my logo.
Check it out! :)

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Hello!  I'm glad you're trying to do right by your rattie that's awesome!

As far as cage furniture, I've gotten a lot of my stuff from dollar tree.  Dollar tree sells some great plastic mini storage bins that can be used in place of igloos.  They also sell some that can be zip tied to the side of your cage to create levels.  Dollar tree also has fleece blankets for bedding (mine love fabric strips to stuff in their hammocks lol), cat ball toys, loofah toys, stuffed animals, etc.

Another great place for rat supplies is Ozbo.com  They sell a ton of cool stuff.

Ratwarehouse.com has some awesome things, like the pink sputnik, but they are UK based.  Honestly, shipping still wasn't too bad.  They have other cool rat stuff too.

Home Depot/Lowes sells pvc pipes that rats just LOVE!  You buy the little corner connecty pieces (they're white and come in 3 and 4 inch diameters which are great for rats-3 for girls 4 for boys or girls) or buy large straight pipes to cut up and use as well.

Oh, and Mainely rat resuce http://www.mainelyratrescue.org/store/ sells awesome cage accessories too-they have bowls, toys, wheels, and they have a food store (separate from the other store) that sells Harlan Teklan for cheap (10lbs is 21 shipped, 15 pounds is 26 shipped)-it is a great lab block.

Also, definately check out people's cages in the Martins/Other/CN/and FN cage threads for ideas on types of items to buy/use.

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
Besides making online purchases from the many talented people here, the next best tip is to be creative!
When you're walking through the aisles in the store, just ask yourself "would my rats enjoy something like that in their cage"
or brainstorm what you could make out of a certain object.

Welcome to the forum!

Boy is that so true! I go into a store to buy something for me and the 1st thing I do is eyeball all shelves for my 3 boys :D :triplets: Some times I forget what I came for  :D :doh:
Any ways welcome to the forum...its very addicting so watch out ;)
My rat can brux louder than your rat.

Offline Gypsyrags

• The road to my heart is paved with paws...
i agree i went to the store the other day to buy a new handle for my dresser and came out with about 20 worth of pvc and rope .   ::) i forgot the handle and had to go back. :doh:
In rescuing animals I've lost my mind, but found my soul.

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
I make my own hammocks out of old clothes and cheap fleece  blankets.

The shelves came with my original cage, and I've got some ramps that go with them somewhere as well (don't use ramps as 1 of my girls is prone to chubbiness)

I got my Silent Spinner second hand (but in 'as new' condition) from someone on another forum who's rats didn't use it.

I got some rope dog toys from a pound shop, same as the little basket I use as a hanging bed.

I have bought in a rope parrot perch, a rope ladder and a cargo net as I didn't feel like making then.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline Kermmit

• Ritten
You are all so helpful!! :)

There is a consignment shop and pet store that's about a five minute walk from where I live, so I guess Cosmo and I will be making a trip there. :) We've been there a few times already, but we are going in with new eyes. Creative ones!

Victoria, I actually saw your post. It's the first post I read after oggling at some of the cages! You did very well it seems to me. Your ratties must be very lucky.  :cheeky:

On a completely unrelated note, these smileys are awesome.  :yelcutelaugh:  :balloon:  ::)

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Does the pet store sell rodents?  If so, do NOT take your rat there!  A lot of rat viruses are airborne, so bringing your rat in there can get them deadly diseases.  You really shouldn't even go into a pet store less than three hours before you come home because viruses can stay on your clothing.

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
If you're not looking for hammock sellers on here, but more like places you can actually go there's a lot of great options! I love going to the dollar stores or checking the dollar section at Target. I also go to yard sales and thrift stores a lot and have scored some great things doing that :)

Offline Kermmit

• Ritten
Smesyna, the pet store does sell rodents. Luckily, we ended up not going. *phew* They are kept in a seperate... I don't wanna call it a room, but you know. I have actually taked Cosmo to play with the other rats. I started this before I read up on introductions, but I've never had a problem as far as agression or illnesses. The critters are well taken care of. They come from a breeder who I personally know. She helped me a lot after my other rats moved on. Would you recommend not taking him anymore?

The dollar store is on top of my list. :) I love Target, I'm there atleast twice a week, so I will be sure to check that out.   :hyper:

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
I have actually taked Cosmo to play with the other rats. I started this before I read up on introductions, but I've never had a problem as far as agression or illnesses. The critters are well taken care of. They come from a breeder who I personally know. She helped me a lot after my other rats moved on. Would you recommend not taking him anymore?

I think it's great that you want to make sure he isn't lonely, but I would recommend not taking him anymore. You never know what could happen and I'd hate for your buddy to become sick or injured just because you wanted to make sure he had rat companions. I'd wait until he has a friend of his own. :)