Author Topic: Annie: Pneumonia  (Read 546 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
Annie: Pneumonia
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:41:29 PM »
  Annie has been through so much; with her skin finally healing well, her foot was swollen but all i really could do for the sore is soak it in warm water.
I came home friday night i could hear annie breathing hard by morning it was much worse. I ended up rushing her to a vet about an hour away b/c my regular vet was closed. She has bad Pneumonia and when given the choice to put her to sleep or try and save her..i took the try and save her route.. I had to try,
I am worried b/c i am due to leave thursday and my boyfriend is watching all the animals for me but annie is soo picky about taking meds. The vet doesn't want me to handle her too much due to a risk of heart attack but she also told me if she doesn't improve by the time i leave i should put her to sleep.
Right now i am trying to decide on whether she should be with her sister and brother. I feel like it could go either way, i do feel she would be more relaxed but can she than risk the other rats..i know i should know the answer i am just  worked up by all of this; i lost missy a week ago very suddenly and annie took a turn for the worse and its just not easy dealing with this.

Bare with me please and just say what you would do.
Keep in mind annie was sitting up cleaning herself under me while i was being asked if i wanted to put her down, shes healing and looks okay but sounds awful.. we also found a tumor. X rays show something but it stressed her out too much so we had  to stop before we could find out if it was tumors or infection
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Claymore

• Posts Too Much!
  • Claymore my <3
Re: Annie: Pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:07:49 AM »
I think you should give her til Thurs and she how she does.  If she wants to be with Missy, she will be and there's nothing you can do.  I would also not isolate her if at all possible.  If she has a mellow cagemate that can hang out with her in a hospital cage I would do that.  I know how hard it is to loose one and have another go down hill so quickly, but I also know it's possible to bring back a rat on the brink of death, we did.  Ice was within an hour of dying, and was on oxygen for 22 hrs, with nebulizer treatments, steriods, basically the works.  He pulled through, $800+ later, and we had him for another 6 mos.  He was my daughter's heart rat, and when he died in her arms 6 mos later, she hurt so much she wanted to go with him.  That's why we paid so much to keep him alive, and I have never regretted any of it.

Whatever happens, know that she loves you as much as, if not more than, you love her
Happy Endings Mischief: Jack, Cooper, Moe, Solitaire, Othello, Rossie, Jazz, Raquaza, Elmo, Breeze, LaRaeRae & Laurelee.

Rainbow Bridge: 29 angels waiting

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »
 Problem is i am leaving town very early thursday morning.
 I have to give her a chance; i think i will call the vet and see if she could watch her; my boyfriend is watching my animals but i don't know if he would be able to medicate her. Shes not easy and gives even me a hard time.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Claymore

• Posts Too Much!
  • Claymore my <3
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:32:46 AM »
I think asking the vet to watch her is a great idea.  At least you'll know she's in good hands.  I hope she makes it, but if not, I'm sure our 22 Angels will find her and show her around.
Happy Endings Mischief: Jack, Cooper, Moe, Solitaire, Othello, Rossie, Jazz, Raquaza, Elmo, Breeze, LaRaeRae & Laurelee.

Rainbow Bridge: 29 angels waiting

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:23:58 PM »
 R.I.P annie

On wed i went into the vet office for a recheck for annie.
 We decided it would be better to say goodbye.
 Her breathing improved but i was told she would maybe have weeks- months but she wasn't going to get any better than what i saw.
  Good:
- She was eating and drinking- still came to me
  Bad:
- You could hear her trying to get her breath from feet away
- Her skin was only going to get worse b/c she was fighting pheumonia too'
- She was pale
- Her foot was swollen and the bumble foot was getting pretty nasty
- Might have tumor
-heart failure signs

It was the best thing for annie and it was killed me to do it but i had to think about what was right for her and shes finally no longer in pain.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:17:55 AM »