Author Topic: a hard decision  (Read 1307 times)

Offline goddesskris

• me and sookie
a hard decision
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
i got a 6 week old pit puppy cuz her mother died. and now she is getting aggressive with my JRT pup. the JRT is 7 months old. i dont want to rehome the pit but its lookin like i might have to cuz i dont want her to hurt the JRT. is there any way i can train this out of her. there both crate trained and i dont think its right keepin the little pup in the crate longer then a night. i think she should be able to come out and play with out killin the other dogs in the house. she even bits my walls. i have a huge chunk out of the wall for leaving her alone for a hour. i have never had a dog act this way. and i think i might have to find a home for her where some one knows what they are doin with her. but befor i do i will give her i fighting chance with puppy classes and all i can to try to fix the problem. can some one give me advise on this matter?
(R.I.P) Sookie, 12, Mazda and Dallas

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: a hard decision
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »
She's 6 weeks old. I HIGHLY doubt it's actual aggression. Maybe she's just teething. I also HIGHLY recommend crating puppies at night and when you're gone. Not only can they get into all sorts of trouble, they can tear up your home and ingest things. She's just a baby, she just needs some training.

Offline Chewbecca

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ella's Lead
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
Seriously, she's six weeks old.
Can you describe the aggression?
Because I bet the aggression is her wanting to be a playful pup and testing the waters with your JRT, and if your JRT is snapping back it's because your JRT is letting your pit bull puppy know that her crap is unacceptable.
THAT'S what older dogs do with puppies.
They teach them how to behave and correct them when they are behaving badly.
And chances are, too, that your puppy will learn bite inhibition (acceptable levels of biting) from your JRT.
You should actually be happy that you have this pit bull puppy at 6 weeks old WITH your JRT because that puppy is unfortunately too young to be away from her mom (though that is not your fault), and she needs an adult-type figure to teach her things that only dogs can teach other dogs.
www.ellaslead.com
The Only Collar and Lead You Will Ever Need!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »
You might consider contacting a pit bull rescue and see if they cant help you determine if the puppy is being aggressive or if this is normal puppy behavior for that type of dog and situation.

Offline goddesskris

• me and sookie
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
well the puppy is getting along better. she is now sleepin in her own crate. and is eating in her own bowl. she will be attending puppy classes when she is old enough. all the two are doin is tryin to tell who is 2nd in the pack. all is cool as of now. im not afraid that ill have to give her up any more.  :heart: ;D
(R.I.P) Sookie, 12, Mazda and Dallas