Author Topic: Rat Life Expectancy Survey  (Read 140851 times)

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
Rat Life Expectancy Survey
« on: April 08, 2003, 10:19:12 AM »
I had not updated my spreadsheet before the board went down.  My last update was on 02/17/03, and these are the last few rats I recorded:

Pearl   F   28
Latka   M   33
Ruben   M   25
Sylvester   M   28
Petey   M   23
Punkin   M   26
Baby   F   24
Christopher   M   24
Homie   M   21
Hope   F   35
Topher Alan Piglet   M   11
Irving   M   3
Lily   F   24
Mousie   F   23
Ric   M   27
Floyd   M   30

If you're not sure if I recorded your rats, please PM me, and we can figure it out.  If you've had a loss, or haven't recorded your rats' information, post here.  

The goal of this is to get a feel for how long pet rats live.  I've seen 2-4 years, but the average seems to be far closer to 2, than 3 or 4.  
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
Re:Rat Life Expectancy Survey
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 06:00:06 PM »
Just 1 to add:

Claire   16 months  (pituitary tumor)
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline Rattie639

• Got Nekkid Rat?
    • My inane blabber
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 03:58:46 PM »
Redds 37 months [tumor]
~~~~~~~~~RIP~~~~~~~
    Redds who crossed over the rainbow bridge

http://shounencheezer.tripod.com/evilmoon/index.html

Offline sagsgerbils

• Splinter
    • Prospect Street Rattery
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 03:54:33 AM »
Tuesday    Male - aprox 8 months (age unknown,  cause of death unknown)
Skyler       Male 18 months (seizure of unknown cause)
Sarah and the Rats of Prospect Street Rattery
The girls: Mary Jane, Levina, Abby, Uno, Daisy Mae, Taylor, Mya, Icon, Pixel, Chiara, Josephine, Allie, Squirt, Kenzi, Blinkie and Fiona
The boys : Jesse, Psycho, Rascal, Kody, Rudy, Oliver, Splinter, Chopper, Dylan, Chester, and Keeper Jeremiah.

Offline Ellie

• Girl all the bad guys want
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 03:29:04 PM »
Barney - 2 months , suspected brain tumour.

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 03:38:18 PM »
I had one pass during the crash...

Thunder, Male, accident litter at pet store
14.5 months, inner ear infection/cold
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Offline sonyaelflady

• Ritten
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 07:19:34 PM »
My rats's lifespans, with cause of death, and I've tried to note where rats were related, as well as breeds and where they were acquired.  I've also noted my still-living rats, with medical conditions.

Samantha - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store(ships rats in), sister to Hannah - 31m (ruptured tumour, hemorrhage)

Hannah - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store(ships rats in), sister to Samantha - 39m (multiple causes, including cancer, multiple benign mammory tumours, ruptured tumour/cyst on neck (was healed at time of death))

Vivianne - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store (ships rats in - same store as Sammy and Hanny) - 10m (sudden acute resp. distress, cause unknown - possible acute myco flair-up.)

Mira - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store (extremely poor conditions, reported to SPCA.  Bred rats on-site) - 24m (unspecified neurologic disorder - involved seizures)

Moiraine - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store (breeds rats on-site) - 18m (systemic infection secondary to cyst on neck, also had a benign mammary tumour)

Joan - female, standard coat, chain pet store - 10m (suspected brain tumour - became progressively more aggressive over several months prior to death)

Isabelle - female, standard coat, novice breeder, sister to Raizel - 18m (cause of death undetermined, possibly intentional starvation, refused food after death of sister.  also had benign mammary tumour.)

Raizel - female, standard coat, novice breeder, sister to Isabelle - 18m (suspected cranial tumour (possibly in sinus)).

Phoebe - female, velour, privately owned pet store(acquired rats from reptile show), mother to Elf, April, Random, and Chance - 26m (suspected lymphatic cancer.  also had benign mammary tumours.)

Elf - female, rex, mother was pregnant from pet store, daughter to Phoebe, sister to April, Random, and Chance - 26m (uterine hemorrhage, suspected pyometra/uterine mycoplasmosis.  had a benign mammary tumour removed at 18m of age.)

April - female, rex, mother was pregnant from pet store, daughter to Phoebe, sister to Elf, Random, and Chance - 27m (euthanised due to severe necrosis of benign mammary tumour, which measured 4"x5" at her death.  Tumour was not removed due to obesity/risk of anesthesia.)

Chance - male, rex, mother was pregnant from pet store, son to Phoebe, brother to Elf, April, and Random - 14m (died under anesthesia while undergoing removal of 3"x3" mass from neck/jaw - composition of tumour unknown, suspected lymphatic cancer.)

Random - male, rex, mother was pregnant from pet store, son to Phoebe, brother to Elf, April, and Chance- 10m (sudden, accute resp. distress, cause unknown - possible insect sting.)

Abigail - female, hairless, privately owned pet store(bred rats on-site) - 24m (suspected heart failure secondary to severe active mycoplasma infection.  Survived 7m on antibiotics w/ steroids after initial onset of active myco infection.)

Kayah - female, rex, privately owned pet store (bred rats on-site - indescriminate breeding, poor conditions), cousin to Kia - 7m (euthanized due to squamous cell carcinoma of the brain/ear canal, which was discovered, upon removal, to have ruptured her skull.  Had benign polyp previously removed from same ear canal at 5m of age, recurred.)

Kia - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store (bred rats on-site - indescriminate breeding, poor conditions), cousin to Kayah - living at 18m.  Obese, possible borderline diabetic.  Recurrent porphorin discharge from eyes, resistant to antibiotic treatment.  

Fern - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store (acquired by store from breeder), sister to Ivy - living at 7m.  Had possible myco flair-up following Abby's death, porphorin staining of nose.  Responded to Baytril, very occassional recurrence of porphorin staining w/ stress.  Otherwise very healthy.  

Ivy - female, standard coat, privately owned pet store (acquired by store from breeder), sister to Fern - living at 7m.  Possible myco flair-up following Abby's death, porphorin staining of nose.  Initially responded to Baytril but still very sensitive to stress/environmental changes, porphorin staining of nose recurring.  Otherwise healthy.  

Emma - female, standard coat, SPCA - living at 12 weeks.  No known health problems; was malnourished in infancy due to being abandoned (acquired at 3.5 weeks).

Lizette - female, velour/hairless?, privately owned pet store (bred rats on-site) - living at 6 weeks.  No known health problems; had lice when acquired.

-Sonya

Offline Kathleen

• Posts Too Much!
  • R.I.P. Delilah
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 01:50:11 PM »
Kevala: aprox. 37 months, suspected liver failure, internal bleeding, tumor. Cause of death was euthanasia.

Scarlet

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 08:51:25 AM »
Loki...18 months...stroke.

BA... 27 months...pnumonia following neurological problems and a fall.

Honey...Approx 12 months (rescue) Sudden onset of pnumonia. PTS.

Offline Kathleen

• Posts Too Much!
  • R.I.P. Delilah
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 01:27:39 PM »
Isabel: aprox. 12 months, cause of death unknown. (My shortest-lived rat. She died in 2002.)

Sugar: aprox. 60 months, cause of death unknown. (My longest-lived rat. She died several years ago.)

Offline stripedrats

• Flippy ;-)
    • Rattie World O' Comfort
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 05:36:25 PM »
Christopher, M, 27 months (myco)
Rattie World O' Comfort, where the sleeping rats lie.
www.rattieworldocomfort.com

At the Bridge- Mice: Tina, Tessa, and Bandit.  Rats: Christopher and Carly

R.I.P. my little angels :'-(

Offline aj

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2003, 01:04:35 PM »
Conrat, HoRatio, and Ratmaninoff were all about 2 when they died (not sure of their birth dates).

A.J.

Offline Tara S

• Ritten
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2003, 01:30:17 AM »
Bob- 5 months approx, cause of death unknown.
Randy- 7 months approx, cause of death unknown( Bob and Randy were brothers from the same litter, 2 months before Bob died the breeder I got them off lost nearly her entire rat colony due to unknown causes )
Bacardi- 12 months, died during surgery to remove a tumor.

EmilyRugburn

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2003, 01:14:55 AM »
Daisy, aged 20 months.  Pet store rat.  Tumor. PTS.
Cheddar, aged 20 months.  Pet store rat.  Tumor.  Died in her sleep.

One died on March 16th and one on the 17th.  They weren't done playing with each other, I guess.

Offline eor

• Love the Fuzzie Butts
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 08:36:16 AM »
Snarf :heart: male, 18 mos - natural
Spooky   :heart: male, 25 mos - natural
Miko   :heart: male, 18 mos - fast growing tumor in abdomen and allergic to carrots ( :huh: )
Argo   :heart: male, 21 mos - had a small benign tumor on back, but I do not believe it affected his quality of life
Rabbit, where'd you put the keys Girl

Spiralgirl

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 08:47:20 PM »
:'( Here's a new one to add from the Spiralrats.

SPR Saxon, male, 18mo - cause of death, complications from an abscess

Offline Noe

• Posts Too Much!
  • There is no path - the path is made by walking.
    • The Rabbit Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2003, 09:47:34 PM »
Fred - 13 - myco

Anubis - 21 - pts due to complications from myco
The Rabbit Forum
Making the web better for bunnies.

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2003, 01:51:45 AM »
euripides/moose - 27 months. suspected pituitary tumor (pts)

Offline Falls City Rattery

• AKA Templetons mommy
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2003, 10:21:51 PM »
This is my first addition...

Moe 3 mths 1 day :(  Breeder bred rat.

Cause of death:  Heart Attack after surgery to remove a throat tumor.

Offline RumbleNTumbleRats

• Rat Mummy
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2003, 07:23:56 PM »
Litter of 3
2 boys. Unknown cause of death. 1 Day old
Girl Unknown cause of death 2 days old
From a litter of 6
Lucksy~Internal bleeding 1 day
Punkin~Unknown 1 day
Hipster~Still Born
Freddy~Still Born
Fudge~Attacked by my evil doxie
2 months

Still living that may soon cross the rainbow bridge

Mocha~2 yrs~3 Tumors Inside Stomach and Cold or Pneumonia
Pepper~8 mths~Broken Leg~Respiratory Infection~Eye Infection~Leg Infection~Pneumonia

We are fighting for and with them but so far not much good has been done from it.

Offline popeyes_cat

• Ratties rock!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 11:17:51 AM »
Marley - PetSmart rat - 26 mos. - respiratory distress of unknown cause (opacities observed in lungs on radiographs)

Cashew - from a seedy pet store - 34 mos. - lung abscess caused by a highly antibiotic-resistant bacterium (Pseudomonas species)

Jimmy - PetSmart rat - 3 mos. - complications (cause unknown, very fast heart rate) during anesthesia while being neutered
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress, can be judged by the way its animals are treated."  -M. Gandhi

From the ratty boys and girl, the cats, the dog, the ferrets, the hamster, and Sara, their person.

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2003, 05:00:05 PM »
Bianca - 9 mos. feeder rat. no signs of illness at all.

Ruby nearly 2 - rescue.  no signs of illness at all
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline vein

• I *heart* cute rats
    • Rat Pic Goodness!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 08:55:37 PM »
Oreo - 25 months (died hours after surgery for a cancerous tumor - too attached which resulted in a lot of blood loss, and we didn't expect her to get much more time without it being removed anyway)

Puff - 24 months (sister of Oreo, she'd never gotten over the death of Snow White 7 months earlier and eventually just wasted away)

Snow White - 20 months, CHF and asthma ending up with a burst vessel in her lungs or heart and her dying in a panic in under a minute (her death made me resolve to never go to Petsmart again in my life)

Marshmellow - 20 months (1 week exactly after her sister SW died) of cancer throughout her body which we assume shut down her kidneys in the end

Monchichi - 30 months, natural causes (born in 1998)

Rose - 15 months, myco (born in 1999, only rat I've owned to actually show symptoms of myco)

Offline BlueMoon

• Posts Too Much!
    • Volunteers for Wildlife
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2003, 03:12:11 PM »
Rizzo- M- 2 years, 2 months- respiratory failure due to myco

Nicodemus- M- 2 years, 5 months- respiratory failure due to myco

Isabella- F- 2 years, 7 months- combination of abcess and pituitary tumor

OshKosh- M- 2 years, 8 months- combination of myco, tumor, and infected wound was too much for him to handle

Buckwheat- M- 2 years, 9 months- respiratory failure due to myco

Fletcher- M- 2 years, 9 and a half months- combination of myco and a tumor

Templeton- M- 2 years, 10 months- myco and old age in general

Marigold- F- 2 years, 11 months- immediate cause of death unclear, did not seem to be myco-related. Found with belly and underside of tail covered in blood, not sure of the source, apparantly had a seizure and died shortly after.

(The above rats were wild/domestic cross)

Geraldine- F- 1 year, 8 months- Pituitary tumor

Miranda- F- 1 year, 10 months- Had cancerous tumor removed, incision became infected, 3 months later visible tumor returned, likely had internal spread of cancer as well.

(Geraldine and Miranda were pet store rescues)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 08:56:05 AM by BlueMoon »

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2003, 08:46:14 PM »
Angel -- Female 24 mos  Pituitary tumor, pts.
Patches -- Female 23 mos -- Pituitary tumor, heart and lung problems, pts.
Ditto -- Male 4 mos respiratory problems
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller