Author Topic: Rat Life Expectancy Survey  (Read 230465 times)

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Rat Life Expectancy Survey
« Reply #750 on: July 13, 2012, 12:44:58 AM »
Nero .... approximately 18 months.

Intact male rescue from dubious circumstances (raised as feeder). One instance of severe and sudden URI or pneumonia 1 month before death. Full remission after antibiotic course. It was never confirmed what happened. Went from fine to lethargic in less than 6 hours and full remission within 48h of starting antibiotics. No other health issues throughout lifetime.

Lymphoma on side of neck appeared about a week prior to euthanasia. Put to sleep after confirmation of lymphoma and evidence of strong discomfort and respiratory distress as the mass grew very quickly (doubled in size over a period of 72h ... aspiration of mass content may have caused seeding of the tumour and spurned growth) and made it unlikely that the previously scheduled surgery could have removed everything or that he could have survived said surgery.

Offline curly555

« Reply #751 on: July 14, 2012, 02:10:27 AM »
Remi - survived just over 3 years.  I honestly dont know what he died from.  As he aged, eventually his hind legs didnt really work.  One day I tried to pick him up but he was limp.  He was basically unresponsive after that and I only noticed that I would find him sleeping in different positions and a couple of days later, he convulsed and passed away :(.

Offline Rashel

« Reply #752 on: July 16, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
2 to add from here  :'(

Othello, roughly 24 mo: cause of death unknown, no signs of illness
Noche: 6 mos approx: acute myco flair-up, no signs of illness until 5 hours before death.

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #753 on: August 03, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »
Moxie: rescue from Goosemoose, intact male.  26 months.  He had a small lump removed two months prior and was given clean bill of health in followup vet visit a month ago.  This weekend, started showing lethargy and difficulty breathing.  Vet found large, inoperable abdominal tumor which was compromising lung capacity, may have been the cause of his early-stage HED.   We opted to let him go rather than prolong his discomfort.   :'(

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #754 on: August 11, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
Fizz- rescue, approx 16 months old.  Had been suffering from some sort of respiratory issue for a few weeks before she passed away.  I think she died from heart failure in the end as she went stiff and stopped breathing when I was giving her a cuddle.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #755 on: August 26, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »
Zen - intact male from Petsmart, 30 months old.  Had been on meds for chronic respiratory inflammation for five months, but his breathing was fine right before he passed away.  We don't know what  caused him to leave us -  he just laid down in his house and went peacefully.

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #756 on: October 05, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
Astrid: unspayed lab rescue rat, 19 months.  Had been on continuous meds for chronic URI.  Had really bad breath for one month before she died, I thought it was an abcessed tooth...but vet said that Astrid was fine and wasn't comfortable with medicating.  I noticed that she was drinking a lot more water than normal.  Passed while sleeping.  Necropsy showed abcessed, necrotic tooth, enlarged heart, lungs looked fine. It could have been CHF masked by respiratory URI.  :'(
Current bubs: Trogdor the Ratinator, Tofu, Spoons and Bradley

Winston, Nyssiri, Phoebe, Ljubica, Freya, Kizonhe, Astrid, Beatrix and O'Xana Play hard!

Offline SqueeHazard

• Caregiver to 3 Lovely boys.
« Reply #757 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
Chloe (petstore)- gray and white hooded, standard ear and coat. 3 1/2 years, scampering until the very day she died. Cause unknown but she was sweating all over her belly (made no sense at all)and died in my arms.
Archer(petstore)- wheaten and white hooded, standard ear and coat. Died one month after getting him.  Respiratory illness.

All others are fine, got these guys before actually knowing about the whole mill animal thing.
Only buying from breeders that wish to improve the health of said rats.

Offline deid4lit

• Slowly learning.
« Reply #758 on: October 31, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
Cowboy - female, pink-eyed white (adopted child of a feeder rat), 1.8 years, vaginal prolapse/tumor (had spay surgery to fix those two problems and died during..)
+worth mentioning that she's never bred but has a history of tumor growth (one on the neck and one just behind her right leg, both removed successfully)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:20:16 PM by deid4lit »
The Girlies: Tuco, Luanne.
The Boyos: Avenger, Pickles.

Cowboy

Offline rileymai

• Posts Too Much!
    • my flickr photostream
« Reply #759 on: November 10, 2012, 03:19:18 AM »
I'm going to try to list all the ratties I've lost since I've had rats.

Edward - intact male - 48 months old (knew birthday).  Adopted from shelter, previous owner was breeder.  Died from a combination of old age, persistent pneumonia, and weak immune system. PTS. 

Alphonse - intact male - 48 months old (knew birthday).  Adopted from shelter, previous owner was breeder.  Died from combination of old age, persistent pneumonia/myco flare ups, and the loss of Edward. :( passed away four days after his brother Ed.

Skadi - unspayed female - approx. 7 months old.  "Adopted" from Petco but was surrendered to the store from previous owner.  Death unknown, was very sudden and necropsy only alluded to heart attack or stroke.

Ati - unspayed female - 2 months old.  Bought from privately owned pet store and given to me by previous owner.  Died from organ failure due to injury/birth defect/ and neglect from pet store.

Morris - intact male - age unknown (best guess well over 2-yrs).  Adopted from shelter, previous owner was animal hoarder. Died suddenly from suspected exposure to a virus.

Olive - unspayed female - approx. 16 months old.  Brought from Petsmart as baby.  Passed from respiratory failure suspected to have occurred after exposure to a virus.

Cake - unspayed female - approx. 24 months.  Adopted from fellow rat owner.  Passed from respiratory failure suspected to have occurred after exposure to a virus.

Liam - intact male - 8 months old.  Adopted from fellow rat owner.  Passed from respiratory failure suspected to have occurred after exposure to a virus.

Nutmeg - intact male - age unknown (likely well over 2-years).  Adopted from shelter, previous owner was animal hoarder.  Passed due to sporatic/frequent myco flare-ups and inoperable tumor in chest cavity.

Uly - intact male - approx. 24 months.  Adopted with brothers off craigslist from previous owners, who bought him from breeder.  PTS due to malignant tumor in abdomen that was inoperable due to size and location.

Freya - unspayed female - age unknown (guessed around 14 months).  "Adopted" from Petco but was surrendered to the store from previous owner.  PTS due to pituitary tumor.

Toast - unspayed female - approx. 24 months.  Adopted from fellow rat owner.  PTS due to PT and several mammary tumors.

Kronos - intact male - approx. 30 months.  Adopted from shelter, suspected to be part of a breeder dump at shelter.  PTS due to hind end degeneration symptoms making his quality of life very poor and not wanting to eat/drink any longer.

Roo - intact male - age unknown (maybe 16 months?).  Adopted from shelter, suspected to be part of a breeder dump at shelter.  Passed away during neuter surgery due to heart failure.

Yoko - unspayed female - approx. 26 months.  Adopted from shelter young, previous owner unknown.  Passed in her sleep - seemingly due to old age, had no health issues at the time.

Laika - intact male - approx. 26 months.  Bought from privately owned pet store and given to me by previous owner.  Unknown cause of death, passed away in his cage during the night.  Necropsy guessed at heart failure, but was inconclusive.

Biscuit - unspayed female - age unknown (guessed around 24-26 months).  Free "aggressive" rat from craigslist that was a failed breeder for feeder rats for reptiles, as she continually culled her litters.  PTS due to several fast-developing mammary tumors and her losing interest in food or water (even with syringe feeding/watering).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:22:39 AM by rileymai »

Offline kitsu

« Reply #760 on: December 04, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
Quark: 38m
Hadron: 38.5m
She was desolate without her sister.

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #761 on: January 09, 2013, 01:46:02 AM »
Linus, intact male. PT. Age 2.
Thunder, intact male. Rare form of cancer involving fibropapillomas. Age 2.5.

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #762 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
Gibraltar, intact male rescue from Goosemoose.  28 months.  Ear/respiratory infection that didn't respond to combo antibiotics.

Sam, intact male, rescued feeder from Goosemoose.  25 months.  Mammary tumor, inoperable due to respiratory scarring.

:heart:

Offline Mysouff908

• Love me, love my rats! :)
« Reply #763 on: January 26, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »
Chuchundra - female (b/w hooded) from Petsmart. 23 months.
She had a large tumor in her tummy. 2008-2009.

Luka - female (brown berkshire) from local pet shop. 19 months.
No noticeable tumors. Appeared to be respiratory. 2011-2012.

Tika - female (dumbo white w/ black mask). 21 months.
Sister of Luka. Same as above. 2011-2012.

:'(

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #764 on: January 26, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Luma- not spayed, from feeder bin, 26 months. Euthanized due to severe respiratory infection, likely pneumonia. She didn't respond to oxygen therapy or Lasix. She also had an inner ear infection that wasn't responding to antibiotics. I am thinking the infection spread systemically causing the rapid decline. She also had around 7 mammary tumors, possible PT, and a strange nasal condition causing congestion for the last year of her life.  :'(  :heart:

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #765 on: February 11, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
Beatrix - 26 month unspayed lab rescue rat; was treating her for an abscessed mass underneath her ear, mass kept growing.  Developed severe chest congestion and wheezing overnight.  Possible ZGT and PT.   :'(
Current bubs: Trogdor the Ratinator, Tofu, Spoons and Bradley

Winston, Nyssiri, Phoebe, Ljubica, Freya, Kizonhe, Astrid, Beatrix and O'Xana Play hard!

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #766 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
Brutus; 2 weeks shy of his 2nd birthday

Male rat adopted from BGRR. His pregnant mother had been surrendered to the rescue and he was born there and lived there until I adopted him September 2011. I estimated his birthday to be February 22nd. He was pts February 6, 2013 due to lung scarring from multiple URIs in the last 6 months, unresponsive to treatments, dramatic weight loss, etc.

His brother Nero survives him.  :heart:

Offline Ratatata

• Posts Too Much!
  • Officialized Weirdo.
« Reply #767 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
Heidi-3 years 2 months-old age/lower respiratory degenerative infection.

Satchi-1  year and 6 months- pituitary tumor

Heartface-2 years and 3 months-lethally positioned mammary tumor

Currently volunteering as a foster home.

Be profound: The cup is useful because of it's emptyness.

Offline lullabee

« Reply #768 on: March 05, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »
Martin -- neutered male, est. 18-19 months
adopted from shelter, likely feeder rat

PTS due to extreme respiratory distress. Had chronic respiratory issues throughout his life.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #769 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
Listing the two I've lost so far in my time of owning ratties:

Renly: 12 months old - bought from breeder (seemed reputable at the time), lived a couple months with ZGT before it started to affect his behavior and ability to eat.

Myka: 12 months old - adopted from Dakota's Dream (who got her from a shelter), survived for a few months with a nastily placed and quick-growing mammary tumor that neither of our vets felt comfortable operating on
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #770 on: March 05, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
Dreamy McLean DOB 6/30/11, PTS 2/27/13 (I'm certain he would have passed naturally within a couple days if I hadn't pts). Adopted from MRR 6/16/2012. He was an Eliot rat, they were/are plauged with sickness. He had chronic URI's, was on meds for months (Doxy, Baytril, Prednisone). Once it was clear he was not going to get better and his quality of life wasn't there anymore (always breathing hard, blue feet, not eating or sleeping), I put to sleep. RIP my  :heart:-rat.
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #771 on: March 13, 2013, 06:49:43 PM »
Most of my rats haven't made it that long, I always get the sickly ones.
These are all the ones I have charted.

Booboo - 2 years 1 month old.
PTS due to internal bleeding.

Mater - 1 year 8 months old
Heart Failure

Bailey - 1 year 6 months old
Sapphire - 1 year 6 months old
Saydee - 1 year 7 months old
Virus. (All sisters)

Mila - 3 years 6 months old
PTS due to multiple tumors.

Korper - 2 years 4 months old
Havent the slightest clue why he passed.

Scrat - 2 years 3 months old
Suspected from scarred lungs.

Polo - 1 year 9 months old
Marco - 1 year 8 months old
Havent the slightest clue. (Brothers)

Leo - 3 years 1 month old
Suspected kidney failure

Lionel - 3 years 1 month old
Pneumonia

Toast - 2 years 2 months old
Suspected CHF

Banana - 2 years 4 months old
Suspected virus

Roofy - 1 year 4 months old
Suspected internal bleeding/virus.

Milo - 1 year 8 months old
Pneumonia/URI

Bitsy - 3 years 5 months old
PTS due to low quality of life. Choking, huge abscess that wouldn't heal, weight loss and severe HED.

Monocle - 1 year 3 months old
Havent the slightest clue.

Knox - 2 years 5 months old
PTS due to fluids in lungs and suspected heart failure.

Snugget - 1 year 8 months old
PTS due to pneumonia

Pubes - 1 year 9 months old
Pneumonia

Magic - 2 years 3 months old
CHF

Archimedies - 2 years 7 months old
PTS due to low quality of life. Severe PT, weight lose, HED, and sores on stomach.

Munch - 2 years old
CHF

Sheldon - 2 years 1 month old
Suspected scarred lungs/stroke.
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline couturepins

« Reply #772 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
Fievel - intact male - Zymbal's gland tumor - ~22 months

Percy - intact male - PTS due to mammary tumors - 28 months

Offline ash123

• Nobody knows love until they have a rat!
« Reply #773 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48:52 AM »
Liam, dumbo, white with grey 'racing stripe' down his back, 20 months, PT and bad case of Myco.
):

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #774 on: April 28, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
Sid- 21 Months, respiratory failure

Ashes- 30 Months, PT