Author Topic: Some raw better than none?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Some raw better than none?
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »
I picked up some cornish game hens and was thinking of using raw as a treat for the cats, once a week maybe?   

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Some raw better than none?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
Definitely better than none.  And you may find they prefer it.  ;)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
Ok, didn't know from having read about the detox period if once a week was going to be a bad thing.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41:54 PM »
Hi, Kat!

I've transitioned eight cats and helped numerous other folks transition theirs.... don't worry about any "transition" issues - go right ahead and feed your kitty as many raw treats as you like. Every bite is good for him.  :BlueDumboSmile:

If and when you're ready to move fully over to raw, let us know and we'll help! Alternatively, some of the articles on the Feline Nutrition's website might be helpful and / or interesting to you.

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
thanks

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
I have been curious about this too!
My older man got his first nibble of raw chicken last night and he found the styrofoam packaging in the trash can and actually pulled it out with his teeth looking for more! :yelcutelaugh: I have some diced bits in a baggie in the fridge for some more "treats" for tonight and tomorrow.

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
Good question! I'll never feed raw because it's inconvenient for me and just...gross lol. It's so ingrained in me not to have raw meat out that the thought of it makes me feel icky. But when I make us meals I've wondered if it would be okay to let them sample. Can they have just rodents and fowl or can they snack on deer, bunny, and squirrel when I do?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »
Just read another post on here were the girl ordered rabbit for her cat

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
Yep, there's not an animal out there I wouldn't feed my cats. Currently, they eat parts from rabbit, duck, turkey, chicken, beef and pork.

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
A lady that shops at the pet food store I work at told me about a grocery store that sells all the nasty parts (hearts, livers, chicken necks, ect) about 10 minutes away so now I don't have an excuse. Before I knew about that I was thinking of ordering from Hare Today but shipping is a little crazy.

I don't want our kitties getting a taste for rabbit since there is a real one living with them that one of them already wants to eat... :worry: 

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
A lady that shops at the pet food store I work at told me about a grocery store that sells all the nasty parts (hearts, livers, chicken necks, ect) about 10 minutes away so now I don't have an excuse. Before I knew about that I was thinking of ordering from Hare Today but shipping is a little crazy.

I don't want our kitties getting a taste for rabbit since there is a real one living with them that one of them already wants to eat... :worry: 

It's not always feasible, especially if you don't have a lot of freezer space, but I've found that ordering from Hare Today in 50 pound increments does offer a considerable savings over the same amount of food in a commercial canned product. It took some time for the defrosting and repackaging, for sure, but I'm definitely going to make it a regular part of my shopping.

LOL ref. the rabbit thing. Did you know they also offer guinea pig and other small rodents? From your siggy, that could definitely be a problem for you. *chuckle*

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 12:26:32 AM »
How long do you leave it down for them to work on?

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
How long do you leave it down for them to work on?

With six cats in the house, food can't be left out for "working on". In fact, everything's usually gone before I've even finished cleaning.  :yelcutelaugh:

From a safety perspective, it almost doesn't matter because cats have a digestive system built to handle raw meat, even if it's a bit spoiled (wild cats regularly bury their breakfast leftovers, then dig them up and eat them for dinner).

Offline tfletch

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
i got a cornish game hen a few days ago and my cats are crazy about it!

i have one finicky one who i didn't think would eat bones because it took a while for him to take a liking to ground raw meat, but he gobbled a wing up bones and all in about two minutes.

as for the person worried about leaving the food out for long.. you don't need to. maybe at first, your cats won't eat all of it, but after a while they practically inhale it.

my cats try to climb into the fridge every time i open it, crawl up my legs as i'm getting the food out, and eat whatever i give them instantly. they even lick the juice off the floor when they're done! it makes cleaning up a breeze. just spray with bleach spray and wipe and done!

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »
Well, not so great... I was woken up after one of the "snacks"  to one of the kitties barfing it....   that was a fun clean up....