Author Topic: ... and then she accidently backed over my dog  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
... and then she accidently backed over my dog
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
Well, Mona isn't really my dog anymore. Mona is a 9 year old Minature Dachshund who has been through a couple of different homes now. She was my dog until my allergies got bad and then she went to live with my coworker. Misty still calls me Mona's mommy and I've tried to be there for her as much as I can when Mona needs anything at all.
Today Mona was camping with Misty's sister. Misty's sister went to move the car and Mona darted under the tires. It was an accident and I'm trying really hard not to blame Heather at all, but the end of the story is that Mona is hurt. We don't know how badly. She is at the E-vet (we had one open up in town that has staff there 24/7 so she won't be alone for a single minute) and all we know for sure is that she has at least 2 small gashes on her hind end and that she cannot put any weight on her back legs. The vet thinks that she may have a fractured pelvis, but they want to wait until tomorrow to do any x-rays because they wanted to get Mona stable and in less pain before assessing the full extent of the damage.

Mona needs lots of prayers right now. Misty and I are in total agreement about Mona's care. Expense is not an issue. As long as it is in the best interest of the dog, we will find a way to pay any and all of the bills. I just don't know what the vet is going to find tomorrow. She is probably going to need surgery, so we are going to have to find a way to raise the money for that. I'm just hoping that Mona is not too much of a risk factor for anesthesia. She is older, overweight, and has a very very slight heart murmur. I don't know what we'll do if they can't do the surgery.

I'm freaking out right now. I'll update tomorrow with the full damage and meanwhile, we really need healing thoughts and prayers.

Offline Blackmoons

• Forum Enabler
  • We can no longer live as rats. We know too much.
Re: ... and then she accidently backed over my dog
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
Sending good thoughts your way.  I'm so sorry sweetheart!

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »
Today is a better day. Mona has a fractured femur, right up by her hip. We are going to put some pins in it and she'll be better. No other fractures or internal injuries. They said she is in good spirits and that they'll do the surgery tomorrow. Also, we can actually afford this surgery. Her mommy and I were both stressing about how we were going to raise the couple of grand that they were going to want for the fractured pelvis. Mona was going to get the surgery one way or another, but the money was going to be hard to come up with.

*big sigh of relief*

Now it will be all about getting the little dog healed up and back to running and playing. We have a long road ahead of us, but it looks a lot brighter than it did last night.

Offline kscanuck785

• Posts Too Much!
    • http://ratsinpants.webs.com/ & http://www.etsy.com/shop/RatsInPants
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
that's good news considering the situation :)

good luck!

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
Went to see the vet again before going to class today. This is a picture of a dog skeleton I found on the internet. The yellow lines are approximently what Mona's femur is doing. Actually looking at it, that might not even be extreme enough. It might have been closer to a right angle in the real x-ray. It will be pinned back into place tomorrow and the doc said it would be about 8 weeks recovery. I'm just glad Little Dog is going to get better.

Offline pinkie1205

• Posts Too Much!
  • Jack says you don't need thumbs.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:03:24 AM »
Good Luck!  I'm glad that everything is going to work out okay!

My aunt's dog (a 160 pound rottweiler) had a surgery to "regrow" some bone back in his hind leg.  It was difficult for awhile (they lived in a 2nd story apartment) but she got through it.  She just had to be VERY careful about what he did (no running, no jumping up, etc).  I'm sure a smaller dog would get through it with no problem!

I'm so happy for Mona :)
It's all just bricks in the wall

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »
Mona came home from the hospital today. She seems to be in good spirits, though she has more stitches and staples in her leg than she does leg in her leg. She was wagging when I picked her up from the doctor. Her entire underbelly is bruised a dark purple and she can't walk, so I had to have her potty inside on the blankets and puppy pads I had for her. The vet said something about holding her up with a towel so she could potty, but I couldn't figure out how to do it without hurting her. She goes back in on Monday for a checkup, and she will probably have to have some dead skin removed at some point after the surgery, but everything went as well as could be expected. Her skin detatched in a patch about the size of my hand over the wound site. The doctor tacked it back down and sewed up all of the gashes, but she said that infection is still a fairly large worry at this point. Mona has a drain in her insision up at the top and we have to watch what comes out to make sure she isn't getting infected.

We are very hopeful and it looks like Mona is well on the road to recovery. Now if we could just get her to stop chewing her stitches (Misty is going to hook the e-collar to her regular collar so she can't slip it over her head like she has been, I solved the problem while she was here by not leaving her alone long enough to get the collar off) we'll be all set. I'll update in a few days when we get the next word from the doctor.