Author Topic: Sweet and Loving Rats in The Indianapolis Area.  (Read 1554 times)

Offline 4everrats

Sweet and Loving Rats in The Indianapolis Area.
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »
I have many rescue rats up for adoption. They come in many coat variations from hairless, rex, velveteen, satin and standard. They also come in different ear types as well. Most of my boys are dumbo. In the females I have dumbo and top ears. I also have very pretty marked rats. Some with blazes, some with head spots. I do not have much of your average pet store rat markings or those that you would fine from feeder breeders. These rats are pets. They are very social and loving. Most have been litter trained as well. Most even come when they are called. I have a 30 day guarantee on my rats. Not many people have guarantees on their rats. I policy is if the rat dies within the 30 days you get a replacement rat for the one you lost. If your rat gets sick within the 30 days I will provide free meds. How many do you know do that?

I charge $15.00 for the first furry rat and $10.00 for each additional same gender furry rat.
For my hairless I have had to bump up the price due to people not understanding how much more care that the non furry counter parts need. They need a lot more then the furry rats do. So they are as fallows $20.00 for the first hairless and $15.00 for each additional same gender hairless rat.

Why do I charge so much? Why not charge only $1.00 each or $5.00 each? Well I feed my rats 100% soy free. It also helps to support my rescue efforts. I could not care for over 100 rats if I sold them for $1.00 each or for $5.00 each. I also would not be able to guarantee them. I would be spending more to treat with meds and feed and bedding and nice cages then I would be making money to keep the rats cared for. I also have a policy that if for any reason in the future you find that you can not longer care for your rats. You are to call me or e-mail me or text me before you ever decide to get rid of the rat your self. I take any rats back. If I do not have room someone within in the network will.

I hope to over the next few days start getting the pictures up of the older males and females that I have. I do have one year olds in both sex’s and almost 2 year olds in males… I will post in the pictures of the older rats about how old they are.

Please when you e-mail me about a rat or two that you may like. Please refer to them with their corresponding number in their picture and their coloring… A lot of my rats look almost a like.

Also I ask that you e-mail me to confirm your appointment 24 hours in advanced (or the day before) to not only remind me that you are coming, but also so I know that you remember that you are coming, also so I know that you remember that you are coming. If you have to cancel or reschedule, this is also a good time to do this. I hate having to wait all day for someone who never shows up, when I could have been cleaning cages or out running errands. Please respect what I do, as this not an easy job, for anyone. I my self always contact an adopter 24 hours in advance when they have placed an appointment time and things have changed on my end, that make things too difficult to keep the appointment time.

Sweet and Loving Rats Rattery and Rescue is a home based rattery and rescue that takes in rats in need, helps them to become healthy (including soy free) and social and works to find them new homes. Located in Lebanon, IN, we are located right off of I65, so not real city driving involved. Although I can not do any transports, due to my current situation, I am willing to work with you when it comes to appointment times. I welcome calls asking advice whether you adopt from me or not. All rats come with a 30 days health and happiness guarantee. If your rat gets sick within 30 days of going home, I will treat them, at my expense. If you have any issues with your new rats, please let me know within the first 30 days, even if you wish to work with them for the next 6 months, as long as I know within the first 30 days, I will work with you.

I am happy to answer any questions you have, including medical issues or how to train your rats. After a brief email interview, we can set up a time for you to come out and meet the rats and see if we can find the perfect pair for you. 

I run the rattery out of my own home. I have two children. One currently is being home schooled. So waiting on an adopter that never shows makes it even harder for the child and I to do school work. So Please I ask of you to respect the 24 hour advanced appointment policy. If you can not get to a computer with in the 24 hours. I do ask that you text me or call me to let me know one way or another.

www.sweetandlovingrats.com is my web site so check it out. I have more males then I do up and the same with the females. I am working to get everyone picture up… I also have 5 litters that were born last month, there moms came in pregnant. I did not breed them! Rebecca@sweetandlovingrats.com is my e-mail.

Just because you did not get a rat form me does not mean that I will not help you with the rat(s) you already have…

Hours that I am open is posted on my web site along with my phone number. My phone is text able.

Also wanted to note that I also take in mice, gerbils and other small animals. I can not do rabbits or gene pigs at this time… 

-Thank you and have a blessed day!!!

-Rebecca of Sweet and Loving Rats from Tip to Tail!!!

Offline Kassy

• Critter Caretaker Extraordinaire
    • My LiveJournal
Re: Sweet and Loving Rats in The Indianapolis Area.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
Are you just a rescue, or do you breed as well?
Rattie mom to Poe, Squiz & Mixie!
Doggie mom to Kessen the Shetland Sheepdog, and the ferret disasters Dar, Shar & Bo.
Mousie mom to Molly & Peanut.

To those who have come before and left paw prints on my heart, you are gone but never forgotten.

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
I am a breeder and rescue. Rescue work is my Passion and breeding is my hobby. I only breed if I have room. I have only bred 3 litters this year. My first litter I had 10 pups. My second litter I had 3 pups and my third litter one again I had 3 pups. I am done breeding this year. All the rats that I have right not and for the rest of this year are all rescues. No one that is on my web site or that I am posting about here are any rats that I have bred. All my rats that I have bred have been adopted out.

I am just wondering why now after the months that I have posted on here that I get a question of and I a breeder and a rescue? I am just curious...

Honestly I rather rescue then breed. So that is what I am doing for the next 6 or so months...

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:14:44 PM »
Now I see why I got asked that... LOL... Sorry about that...

Offline Kassy

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
I asked because it's a concern a lot of adopters have.  Some people don't adopt from joint rescue/hobby breeders, so I was curious.
Doggie mom to Kessen the Shetland Sheepdog, and the ferret disasters Dar, Shar & Bo.

To those who have come before and left paw prints on my heart, you are gone but never forgotten.

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »
I have a lot of people that love to adopt rescues. I have a lot of people interrested in what I breed. I may breed as a hobby. I have rules and guide lines that I follow when I do breed. I breed for health, temperament, longevity and I also look at genetics... I get slammed  a lot for doing both. I have to say I am a very responsible breeder. I do not breed to jut make more rats. I breed to make better rats and make the rats a better pet. Something that a lot of people do not do. I rescue because it is the right thing to do... Why bring animals into this world and not help those who need homes. I also take any rats back that are adopted out. I also guarantee my rats for 30days. I also have a return 2 times policy. That means if I have adopted out a rat(s) twice and it comes back for a third time it is hear to stay tell it crosses the rainbow bridge. I also provide sanctuary to those rats that come in that are disabled or have to be on meads or even too old to be adopted out. They stay with me or someone in the Net Work! I think a good honest reputable breeder will also do rescue work and provied elderly rats the meads and special care they need.

Offline samanthad75

• Social Rats Adoption and Rescue
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:27 AM »
Social Rats Adoption and Rescue in Chicago is also a rattery/rescue. I think what Rebecca is trying to say is that she is a breeer that takes in rescues, not a rescue that breeds and some ppl have problems being able to tell the difference between the 2.

Rebecca is also like I am, a soy free facility, which makes the rats that either one of us breeds significantly different that rats we rescue.

When you breed soy free rats, the rules change a bit. Although, unfortunately, because the fact that soy is in every commercially proucts rat food on the market (including Tropical Carnival now) trying to raise soy free rats is not an inexpensive endeavor It is also something that there is not much information out there about either. As the rat became accepted as a more common pet, soy being in pet food was also something that became more commonplace as well.

Adopting from Social Rats Adoption and Rescue or from Rebecca's Sweet and Loving Rats is like getting a different type of rat. A rat that has a reduced risk of cancer, that will healthier and will have the potential to live longer as well. Lancye Suddeth, who runs Pocket Angels Rattie Rescue, out of Bedford, TX, has been soy free for about 4 years now and her cancer rate has dropped to an astonishing 5% and her average lifespan of her rats is 3.5 to 4.5 years an thisis for rescues. This average includes rats that come in with health issues that do not live past a year old. I have spoken with her personally and she told me that her longest living soy free rescue lived to be 2 weeks short of 5 and a half years.

By breeding soy free, we are able to help breed rats that do not have issues with blood clots, that don't have issues with heart problems and that have a strong immune system. Each generation bred soy free has a greater chance of living up to that 5 year mark, which is the goal of both ratteries.

We both take in rats in need because we both feel, as is the opinion of just about any breeder in the Social Rats Rescue Network, that to be a responsible breeder means also doing our part to help rats in need as well. We help to get the healthy, which does include soy free, which also helps not only to increase their life expectancy, but also helps us to etermine who may be stroke prone, so those rats do not get adopted out and, potentially, only live with an adoptive family for 3 months or so.

Trying to do both is never easy, not only with some adopters who do not with to adopt from someplace that does both, but it can be heartbreaking as well. Having a rescue litter come in that is so sick by the time we get them, they do not survive. Having rescues that come in that all we can do is offer hospice care for them. This is the heartbreaking side of rescue and this is what makes me want to quit rescuing sometimes.

Good Luck Rebecca, know that you have at least one person in your corner

Tami
Social Rats Adoption and Rescue - Chicago, IL
773-934-9949

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »
Thank you Tami... That is what I was trying to say... No, I do not breed my rescues. (Just like Tami had said.) I breed rats that I purchase from other breeders. No, rescues are ever bred! For I do not know the back ground of the rat. I to feel some times like I want to quit rescue work. I have lost so many rats that have come in as rescues. I have lost litters that have com into my rescue. Their are many people out their that only want rescued rats, mice, gerbils or hamsters. Now I am able to provide that. Their are people out their that want rats that I have purchased for breeding and bred and they had a litter. I am able to cover both ascpects for people looking for what they want... I am not a hobby breeder. I have been breeding on and off for 21 years now. Breeding is not new to me! If you would read the one page on my site about breeding and rescues. You would know and others would know that I do not breed my rescues. You will also find their my rules and guide lines on what I look for before I breed a rat. You will find their how many times I breed a female. What age I breed females at and what age I will breed males at. Just because a femal rat can have 3 litters in her life time does not mean that I will breed any female 3 times...

-Rebecca of Sweet and Loving Rats
From Tip to Tail...  www.sweetandlovingrats.com

Offline Kassy

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:13:35 PM »
I don't know, I think you answered what was a simple question just fine on your own.  *shrug*

Don't know where the soy free breeding thing came from though, that was kind of out in left field.  o.o

Either way, I don't think you needed someone else to amend your answer, it was just fine to me.  Best of luck finding the rescue ratties homes.

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
A very good, reputable dog breeder I know goes by the motto "If you breed, you must rescue"

And now to go research soy free feeding!

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
I wanted to give every one a heads up here. I spelled check my web site... All is good with spelling. :)

I also added some things to Who is Sweet and Loving Rats...

This is to Kassy: I did not have someone else to amend my answer... I can not help that my sister stepped up for her little sister. :) Any one who has a big brother or sister knows how this is...

This is to greenmagick: Smiles....... Thank you for your reply...

This to anyone who reeds this:

I get a lot of stink about being a breeder and a rescue all the time. It has gotten worse lately for me. I think that is why my sister is stepping up to my plate to help out with things I say. :) I am not new to breeding. I do not breed my rescues. I take percautions when people come into my home. I state right under the topic Who is Sweet and Loving Rats why I am not a closed rattery. I also state what I do to prevent illness and such in my rattery...

We all have diffrent views on how rattery's should be ran and that if you are a breeder you should only breed and not rescue. To be honest it is what the owner of the ratter wants to do. Not other peoples choices...

Thank you to all those who have adopted from me and thank you to all those who have wished me3 luck on finding my rescues homes...:)

Offline Debbie

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »
No discussions here. Where's the Mod on this one?

Debbie
Sweet Genes

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:45:20 AM »
I still have rats that are needing homes... The ones that are still available are up on my web site. What I really need is people wantting males. I have more males then I do up. So help a rat in need and adopt from Sweet and Loving Rats!     www.sweetandlovingrats.com

Offline 4everrats

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »
BUMP*