Author Topic: Hammock/Ferret Owners :)  (Read 317 times)

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
Hammock/Ferret Owners :)
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
I have yet to sew for ferrets, so any input on some particular sizings would be much appreciated. Mainly I'm interested in:

- Average size for ferret cubes
- Average size for ferret tunnels
- Do longer, rectangular cubes work for ferrets (with their long backs)?

:BlueDumboSmile:

Thanks so much guys. I have a request for a Playhouse for ferrets, but am not sure if the rectangular design will be bad for their backs.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Hammock/Ferret Owners :)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
I don't have ferrets, but I've been volunteering at a ferret shelter for about a year, so I'll try to help.

For a cube, I'd think a 12" would be good for 2-3 ferrets, depending on size. The ferrets at the shelter love to pile together, so even if it's a bit squished, I don't think they'd mind.

For tunnels, I'd have them atleast 5" wide and maybe 18-24" wide? That'd probably fit a ferret or two, unless they're very large.

I don't really think it would make much of a difference to have rectangular or square bottomed cube. The hammocks the shelter uses range from squares to long rectangles, and the ferrets still tend to sleep curled up in the middle together. The only real advantage of the longer hammock it appears is being able to fit more ferrets, and even then the ferts tend to just pile on top of each other in the middle of the hammock  ::)

The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline kayleys_hammocks

Re: Hammock/Ferret Owners :)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
Ok, so I have one ferret, soon to be two, and I normally make my flats and pockets VERY large. Like 18" by 21".
I make 8" cubes, because ferrets love to feel secure and cuddle close :) . I make my tubes 8" wide, 20" inches long.
I really dont think rectangler cubes would make a diference, as they curl up in a circle anyway.