Author Topic: pigeon  (Read 6021 times)

Offline Gypsyrags

• The road to my heart is paved with paws...
pigeon
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »
i have aquired a pigeon and am wondering what the best bird cage will be for him.  right now he is in a dog kennel for a pompom sized pooch with food and water bowl with a hand towel could use some help with what i can get for him. he had a wing fracture that prevents him from ever flying so i will need to keep him for the length of his life so i would like him to be comfortable.  any suggestions are appriacted the only reqierments i can think of is that the floor must be grated with a tray and that the main door needs to be large enough for a 5lb bird to go through eaisily as i will be taking him out quite often.
In rescuing animals I've lost my mind, but found my soul.

Offline Gypsyrags

Re: pigeon
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
no ideas then folks?

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
Have you contacted a wildlife rehab place? I'm sure they'd love to give you some tips. A local vet might also have some pointers for you. There was a member here a while back who got a pigeon and I know there were pics of her setup in it, so maybe a search is in order.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/doves_pigeons/DovePigeonProfile.htm
This appears to be a really good source for information on their care.

As for a cage, everything that I have read says that pigeons really need long, wide cages. This is especially true if your guy cannot fly. If you want a big door, my best suggestion would be to get one of those cages that is supposed to be for rabbits, that has the grated floor. You can frequently get tiny bar spacing (like how the Martin's cages are), or always just modify it yourself with chicken wire or something.
Billie is right though, your best bet is probably to contact a rehab for information.

Offline ThaRatChick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Blackers :)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
It's ASA!EXCLAIMATIONPOINT!

Offline Windy Hill

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »
What breed is it? or is it wild?
A long wire rabbit hutch will work.

Offline Gypsyrags

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:45:29 AM »
sorry i havent been on in awhile contacted the rehab and they gave me a local rescue that could help him until he is better thanks bunches ;)