Author Topic: Cage cleaning question  (Read 317 times)

Offline ima062002

Cage cleaning question
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »
I've decided to clean the cage with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide but read that you are not supposed to combine the two (http://www.michaelandjudystouffer.com/judy/articles/vinegar.htm). I am not sure if they mean just not in one spray bottle but also just combining it, i.e. spraying one on top of the other. If there is a chemical reaction which is becoming something else and might not clean that well, then spraying it one on top of the other will create the same reaction, no? So I've done a soak with vinegar, rinsed it off and then a soak with hydrogen peroxide. Both for about 15 min. Can I do less time? Or is my thinking incorrect and I can spray one on top of the other? 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:29:30 PM by ima062002 »

Offline MMak

• Horse & Rat Enthusiast
    • The Critter Cove
Re: Cage cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »
They should be fine on top of each other. I've always used hydrogen peroxide an vinegar sprayed on top of each other (and left on for 15 minutes or more)...I've had no issues.
The reason why it's not ideal to pre-mix them is because hydrogen peroxide is made in a dark bottle for a reason. When light hits it for a long period of time, it will turn it into water.

Offline ima062002

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
But this is what it said about it on that link " never mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar together in one container. The resulting chemical, peracetic acid, can harm you when mixed together this way if you accidentally create a strong concentration in this fashion. Peracetic acid also has entirely different characteristics and properties than either hydrogen peroxide or vinegar."

I put my HP in a white spray bottle and pulled a dark blue cotton cover over it ;).

Offline MMak

• Horse & Rat Enthusiast
    • The Critter Cove
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
Yes...I read that, but it also says "The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer."
I'm assuming the peracetic acid builds if they are left, mixed together, over a longer period of time...