Author Topic: Helping Older Dogs Adjust to a Move  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Helping Older Dogs Adjust to a Move
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
I have two dogs up in NY. Penny (9) and Charley (7). Penny is a Toy Poodle and Charley is a Miniature Schnauzer. I'm planning on bringing them down to live with me in NC in order to take some financial stress off of my mother (she won't have to pay the dog walker). I'm wondering about some ways to make the transition easy for them. Obviously I can't bring them over to the apartment a few times to get used to it. I'm bringing their crates with me, and I plan on crating them when I'm not home at first in order to curb any kind of behavioral acting out. I'm obviously going to bring all their toys and bedding with me, but this will be an entire lifestyle change. They won't see my mother or exboyfriend (dog walker) anymore, and they'll be living in a more urban environment. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier on them and on me? Thanks so much.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Re: Helping Older Dogs Adjust to a Move
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »
Bump...

Anyone?!
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
I recently took on my almost 14 year old cat that still lived with my parents in August. I was so worried about how he would feel being in a new environment for the first time in his life. He also had to get used to a 1.5 year old female cat.

We brought his toys, bed and 2 blankets from home and he settled in within a few days. The thing that seemed to bother him the most were the new noises like upstairs neighbors walking around and voices in the breezeway outside. After two weeks he already had 4+ favorite places to lay and slept on my pillow every night just like he did at home with my mom. After a month my boyfriend caught the two cats laying a foot apart next to each other on the bed fast asleep. He never acted like he missed his home or my parents. He has settled in beautifully and acts like he never lived anywhere else. :)

My mom recently got a 9 month old lhasa apso mix from a shelter. He was given up by a girl who couldn't afford him and he has never acted like he misses anyone.

I think animals are far more adaptable than we give them credit for. Having a few familiar objects will probably feel comforting. Reassure them with treats when they go on their first couple of walks. The new sights and smells will be interesting but they could be a little scary at first depending on their personalities. They will probably settle in quickly.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
When I moved to NC my dog adjusted right off the bat. I moved first and hubby showed up about 8mos later. The dog never acted like she missed him.
Well... except for the new found barking when we left her in the house alone. The neighbors in the next apt left a scathing note, to this day I hope they rot in hell for other rotten neighbor things they did.

Since the dog was deaf talking her through the no barking wasnt working. We had to get a bark collar for her, after about a week we took the battery out and as long as she had the collar on when we left she didnt bark.

Moving to a new house about 2 yrs later posed a new problem. Her peeing on the carpet when we are home and perfectly able to let her out.  >:(
She was cage trained. Still deaf so the commands about going potty in the house wouldnt work so she had to be tethered to us or in her cage for a few weeks. Eventually she figured it out and only has a few "age related" accidents every once in a while.

She has also started barking again when we leave. I dont care, no one can hear her bark so she barks all day. I did buy a carpet cleaner to make things easier for me.

I also moved 2 cats and a parakeet none of them seemed phased by it either. The one cat was a little weird at first (walked around like she was in combat) because of the neighbor noises but settled in after that.