Author Topic: Experiences feeding multiple dogs diff foods  (Read 2951 times)

Offline RayN

• Unconditional Love is the Best Love
Experiences feeding multiple dogs diff foods
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
Okay for back ground:

I have an 8yo JRT and a 10-ish mo Shar-pei/Lab mix(we think). The JRT(Poco) has been showing allergy symptoms for a year, before now I did not have control over her even though she was mine, living with family who had dogs and would leave food down 24/7 and such. The Puppy(Gutter, yes that is where we found him) seems fine. We are currently feeding pretty crappy food, but I didn't know better.

I want to start them both on RAW, but hubby is pretty much against it. He gave in a little when I said it would help her breath, which is terrible even though I brush, so he said some RMBs a few times a month would be ok, but I'm thinking she would like it too much and stop eating her kibble. Also I feel bad giving one dog real food and the other crap. (Hubby's family wasn't very animal friendly, where as I grew up in a mini zoo.)

I told him about pre-made raw diets, and grain free kibble at a store about 45 mins away, and he's more willing to try that than to let me buy my own meat. Now he just doesn't want to feed them both expensive food since the lab mix is less than a year old and already 60lbs, we go through a 20lb back of kibble in 2 weeks or so. Once again, I don't want to feed one dog good and the other crap just because he hasn't had issues yet.

So I was hoping maybe you guys had some horror stories or reason why feeding diff food is bad.

Also since hubby is more open to the pre-made raw or the grain free kibble, do you guys have suggestions on my dogs breath? I read that mixing kibble and raw caused issues since the raw is easier and faster to digest and then it get trapped behind the kibble. She wont chew on bones of any sort, I guess thats our fault for not giving her raw hide or anything as a pup, she will protect them from Gutter who eats them fast, but she wont touch them. I've had her teeth cleaned at the vet back in march, and it helped a lot, but was expensive and didn't help as much as I hoped.

Order Mary Kay from my Mom!

Offline greenmagick

Re: Experiences feeding multiple dogs diff foods
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »
Why is he against raw?  It may help to have a frank discussion.  Doing a prey model raw diet is comparable, and often cheaper than a quality food.

Offline aquaseafoam

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
Does he not want to do the extra work?  Are you the one that feeds them anyway?
Buying your own meat is MUCH cheaper than buying premade, and buying your own is better for them anyway.  Premades contain veggies and don't list the exact ingredients or quantities.

If he does feed them, would it help if you portioned out the food in plastic baggies so all he had to do was dump it out for them?
Dot- beige capped smoothcoat dumbo 8/09
Taj- Pearl merle bershire smoothcoat dumbo ~12/08 I'm over 3 years old!!
Coraline (RIP)- black hooded smoothcoat dumbo 7/09-11/11

Offline RayN

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
He is unfortunately of the opinion that they are "just animals" and doesn't like spending a lot of money on them when in his opinion there are the same things available cheaper, like Purina or Pedigree. He knows I love my animals, and they are apart of my family, it's just the way he was raised. I actually called the humane society over the way his family treats their dogs, which he knows is bad. He does care for the animals, but they are not family to him. And when he wants to believe something he refuses to listen to or look at any info I provide, his excuse is that I just find things that support my opinion. Which is false, as I was against Raw when I first heard of it, and for vaccines which I know think are at least stupid if not dangerous. He usually comes around after weeks of pestering, but he's caught up on the cost of this diet change. Feeding 10+ lbs of meat to our dogs when we ourselves rarely even get to buy stakes and roasts for us. We aren't very goof money wise, but we are good enough to provide a good diet for our dogs. He's also giving me issues with my rats, saying they can just eat the dog food instead of buying more lab blocks, but I told him I'd have to supplement it and it would cost the same or more considering we don't have access to a lot here.

He sounds like a bad person in this post, but he's really not, he's just ignorant, that same as me when I though Iams and Purina where really good dog foods.Though less open minded, I have to admit. I think he might just be over whelmed. I got rats and found GM and then in reading GM found out good rat care, and then moved on to the dog forums, and just learned alot in a short period of time and he thinks yall are brainwashing me.

Offline RayN

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
Does he not want to do the extra work?  Are you the one that feeds them anyway?
Buying your own meat is MUCH cheaper than buying premade, and buying your own is better for them anyway.  Premades contain veggies and don't list the exact ingredients or quantities.

If he does feed them, would it help if you portioned out the food in plastic baggies so all he had to do was dump it out for them?

I do all the work with the animals, as I'm a stay at home wife. He goes walking with us, and plays occasionally. But no I'd do all the work. It would also be very helpful if there were other raw feeders even remotely close to us to help me prove to him that it's not as expensive as he thinks. We're military(talk about brain washing, right?) an we've not be in this location long and it's very rural in regards to stores and butchers and such.

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
ok, then start calling suppliers, distributors, etc...look for raw feeding co-ops, etc.  Get your prices all figured out and then approach him with it.  It should be comparable (and you can always throw in the money you will save from having healthier dogs, no dental cleanings, etc)

Offline RayN

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:46:57 PM »
Okay I will try that. We are very restricted for stores, all we have are the Base Commissary, Wal-Mart, and United Supermarkets. I have looked for the co-ops, and also priced freezers, but our freezer tends to stay pretty empty.

By distributor and suppliers, do you mean the people who supply for the retail stores? I thought they only sold in bulk, and we do not have the space for that. I'm working on getting a freezer just for the dogs, but he's not too keen on that either.

ETA: I've also tried talking to several other dog lovers around here, but they refuse to hear anything after I say "bone". "Nope, bone is bad, do NOT feed bone of any kind!" And thats that. Though there is a vet tech wife on base and she said it was healthier "if done right" and then started recommending kibble since that was "usually better and simpler and the owner couldn't screw up vitamins and minerals..." so on.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:49:37 PM by RayN »

Offline aquaseafoam

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:17 PM »
The basis of my two boxers' diet are chicken leg quarters from walmart.  they come in a red bag, 10 pounds for $5.98. 
My two dogs (53 and 60 pounds each) eat 90 pounds a month total.  It costs me anywhere from $60-90 per month to feed them, usually about $75.  Much less than a premium quality kibble.  If you have a small grocery store or a mom and pop type store they can usually order a case of chicken backs or necks for you, for about $0.40/lb.  You can post on craigslist for free freezer burnt meat or stuff people are throwing out (as long as you trust the source).  I got about 50 pounds of venison once that way, people were just trying to clear it out to make room for this year's kill.  This is great if you know any hunters, or just tell your fam/friends to give you their freezer burnt stuff.

Not only will raw help their breath- it makes their poops super small and they crumble away after a couple days.  Thats a pretty great side effect!

Offline RayN

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »
Okay, $75 is not bad at all, and only one of my dogs is big, though I expect him to gain more as he bulks out. My Understanding it usually dogs grow UP for a year then develop more muscles and bulk out over the next year.

I'll do some price checking next time I go out, maybe tomorrow if I can get the car, and then know for sure.

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
A note, even if you did just upgrade to a higher quality kibble..you feed less of the premium foods than you do the cheaper foods that contain lots of fillers. My 74 lb dog eats just over 2 cups of kibble each day..less if we're supplementing with raw. I give all of my dogs rmbs to chew on, as well as raw meat meals now and again. Mine have never had issues with kibble and raw mixed.
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline aquaseafoam

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »
You could price what you have available to you.  Chicken leg quarters being about $0.60/lb if not on sale plus other yellow tagged meats (i almost always wait until something is on sale for variety). CLQ make up at least 50% of my dogs' diet and I very rarely pay over $1/pound for anything else so I'm just guessing their average is $0.80/pound. I pay a little more for offal but this makes up a small percentage of their diet.
Then multiply that by how much your dogs will get a day (2-3% of their adult weight). Times 30 days a month and that will be how much you'll spend for them.

For example:
Dog 1: 60 pounds
Dog 2: 55 pounds
---------------
Total: 115 pounds of dog :)

115lbs x .02 (to get 2 percent of body weight) = 2.3lbs this gives me how much both dogs eat per day

2.3lbs x $0.80/pound of meat = $1.84 per day

$1.84 x 30 days = $55.2 per month. 

So, this actually came out lower than I thought but I usually end up feeding slightly more than 2%.

Also, keep in mind this is for 2-3% of their IDEAL adult weight, so if the elder JRT has a few pounds to lose, account for that.  Since your other dog is already 10 months, I'd just start with 3% of his weight now and adjust later if he gets too ribby or too heavy.

Edited to add that feeding raw has kept my 3.5 year old from ever needing his teeth brushed or cleaned ($$$) He didn't start raw til he was almost a year either.  They have clean ears (i've never cleaned them since starting raw) and no doggy smell, their ears have no smell either.
Just a couple more things that may sway the hubby.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:13:40 AM by aquaseafoam »

Offline RayN

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
I've got him actually thinking about it now. We saw some expired meat at the Commissary, but get this, they don't give a discount! I'm not sure they would even let me have it, but I asked about a discount and nothing. uhg.

Offline aquaseafoam

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Unfortunately stores won't give you expired meat... they are required by law to throw it out.  If they aren't discounting it the day before though, that sucks.

Offline RayN

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »
And its against the law to stand out side while they throw it out, huh? That's such a waste.

Offline DebsRats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
From what I understand raw goes through their system faster than the kibble and that's why their breath smells bad when you feed both. You shouldn't feed both raw and kibble in the same meal. In the morning feed raw and the evening kibble.

Offline Koley

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »
premade raw will not help with bad breath  unless the bad breath is being caused by intestinal issues. Raw bones are what clean teeth and help prevent normal bad breath. Also feeding both kibble and raw is fine just make sure that you gradually increase the amount as its completely diffrent then just adding canned food. raw and kibble digest at the same rate unless your dog is sensitive to a certain part of the diet. My kids get kibble and mixed veggies and organs in the am and whole peices with a little kibble in the pm.