Author Topic: Stray Pregnant Chihuahua....  (Read 1267 times)

Offline myusername20

Stray Pregnant Chihuahua....
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
 :help:

So a pregnant little girl found us tonight and right now we have her in a spare bathroom with a crate and some blankets. Annnnnnd soooooo.....now I don't know what to do. Don't wanna take her to animal control so they will probably put her down and she is incredibly sweet and wonderful. So I'm thinking we can get these pups born and either find homes or try to work with one of the humane societies or rescues here. We will probably be taking her to the vet on Monday, but mostly I am wondering, what should I expect? Her belly is very round and hard, nipples big, and there's something odd going on with her vulva/vagina. It's almost like sticking out, looks kind of the way testicles would look...sticking out and pointed though. Is that part of the pregnancy or a sign that she's had many pregnancies? Her neck looks like she was tethered, so I thought maybe she's a "breeding dog". What should I expect at the vet? We definitely want to know her general health and if she has any diseases, etc as we have other dogs and cats and such (we are keeping ourselves clean and everyone separated). If they decide to do an ultrasound, how much does that generally run? Anyone have experience with chihuahua births? How many pups do they usually have? Does it matter what breed the father is? (for all I know it could be anything). Being a stray, what are the odds the pregnancy is messed up or dangerous or the pups are already dead in there? She was starving when we got her....should I feed her as much as she wants or limit it?

Lots of questions :)

She's not had a bowel movement yet (but has urinated a lot outside)....is this normal if she hasnt eaten recently?

This is my first pregnant anything!  :shocked2:
<3 Rest In Peace Edmund ratty, Luuvi hammy, and Taffy-cat <3
Rat: Simone
Mice: Chloe and Echo
Hamster: Bubbles
Cats: Jade, Tigger, and Mara
Dogs: Kipling and Ranger

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Stray Pregnant Chihuahua....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:00:46 AM »
Firstly, I assume found animals are lost pets, rather than strays. She should be taken to a vet or shelter to be scanned for a microchip. Responsibly, you should turn her over to animal control so they can hold her for their stray hold. Animal Control facilities usually have a set time for found animals. You can have them call you when that time frame is up and claim her then, but most owners look for their dogs at shelters first.  If you're unwilling to do that, make sure to put fliers up at vet offices, notify all of your local shelters (city and county, if applicable) and at pet stores, etc.

If her neck has sparse hair, she may just have the issue that many thin coated dogs like chihuahuas do..any collar can wear the hair away. We limit the time our Yorkie wears collars because it will at time wear his hair away. Even the most irresponsible mills and bybs rarely chain a dog the size of a Chi out..so I'd not assume it means she was a 'breeding' dog.

Ultrasounds vary by clinic. Most likely they'd do an xray though, which can be anywhere from $60-$100, depending on plate size used. Chihuahua pregnancies can many times end in c-sections, so that's something to consider.

Swollen vulvas can be a normal part of pregnancy in dogs, but your vet would be the one to ask.

That said, the most important thing would be to make sure there isn't an owner looking for the dog.  Keeping someone's dog without looking for an owner is irresponsible.
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria