Author Topic: $200 for 3 levels of a FN?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
$200 for 3 levels of a FN?
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »
There is a FN cage for sale near me for $200.  This is 3 levels (the full 2 level cage plus an extra) & all the pans, extra 'ferret' stuff (litter boxes, water bottles & the like).

Does this sound like a good deal?  The only bad part is that it's like 3 hours from here.  I am going that direction in a couple weeks to visit family but I hadn't planned on taking a trunk.  The lady is saying she will hold it for me if I can give her an exact date. ....  :-\

I am so torn.

Offline OatmealandToby

• Posts Too Much!
    • Metal Heart
Re: $200 for 3 levels of a FN?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »
If its in good shape then its an excellent deal. If a double FN normally runs for say, 230 and the single topper for that is I think 145 then you're already saving a whole bunch of money. Not to include the extra ferret stuff that comes with it.

Its a deal. If she's willing to hold it, go for it!!
Rest in peace: Tobias, Oatmeal, Turkey, Petra, Rhett, Waffle, & Elias.

The Boys: Toast, Sebastian, Avi, & Zia.

The Girls: Delilah, Tulip, Hester, Padma, & Eponine.

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »
Sounds like a great deal. You might need a ladder to clean out the third level! lol I am 5'8" and the 2 level is just the right height for me. lmao

Offline MMak

• Horse & Rat Enthusiast
    • The Critter Cove
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »
Excellent deal!

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
That seems a bit high for my taste, but if it's in good condition go for it.
My general rule of thumb on used FN's is not to pay more than $50/level, but they come up on CL's pretty frequently in my area.  If it's a rarity for yours it may be worth taking.

I LOVE my triple, but can't reach to top of it so if you're short like me make sure you pick up a little step-stool along with it  :P

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
Sounds like a great deal. You might need a ladder to clean out the third level! lol I am 5'8" and the 2 level is just the right height for me. lmao

:yelcutelaugh:  I will probably not pile it 3 high.  I have girls & boys.  I will put the girls in the separate section in another room.  The boys can go all together in the biggest part.  Well, together, but separated, as right now I have a bully boy waiting to be fixed who likes to beat up everyone but his brothers.  But eventually...hopefully....all together.  hehe

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »

:yelcutelaugh:  I will probably not pile it 3 high.  I have girls & boys.  I will put the girls in the separate section in another room.  The boys can go all together in the biggest part.  Well, together, but separated, as right now I have a bully boy waiting to be fixed who likes to beat up everyone but his brothers.  But eventually...hopefully....all together.  hehe
You realize a triple FN can't be turned into a single and a double, right?  The add on does not come with an additional stand or "top".

I personally think it sounds high as well.  I would never pay more than 100 for a double.  FOr 200 you could get 2 doubles, which sounds like it would serve you better than a triple, or even a double and a single, at least in my area.  I only even paid 100 I believe for my double CN.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »

You realize a triple FN can't be turned into a single and a double, right?  The add on does not come with an additional stand or "top".

I personally think it sounds high as well.  I would never pay more than 100 for a double.  FOr 200 you could get 2 doubles, which sounds like it would serve you better than a triple, or even a double and a single, at least in my area.  I only even paid 100 I believe for my double CN.

Nope, I totally did not know that.  Cripes.  I guess that means I should let her know I will pass. 

They are expensive here.  I never see them on CL, at least not within less then a 3 hour drive from here.  I guess I will keep looking.

Pooh.   :-[

Glad I asked.  & thanks for the heads up about the extra level not being an individual cage. 

Offline odiakkoh

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
Where do you guys find your FNs? I never see it being sold for cheaper than $150 (for a double) around here. I actually talked a lady down to $150 and am picking mine up on Monday. I have to drive an hour away for it to so with gas I'm paying $170.

ETA: Well darn, if I wanted to drive 2.5 hours and cross the state line (into Nevada) there's at least 10 FNs being sold for $100 and under haha.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:35:24 PM by odiakkoh »

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:29:03 AM »
Wow, yeah definitely glad you found out ahead of time, although I did feel bad to disappoint you  :puppy_dog_eyes:  Sucks there aren't CN's on your CL often, there seem to be a lot within a few hours of me with some frequency.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »
You can turn them into a two level and a single level. You can either separate the levels with a ladder, or get a bass pan. Or, I even put a lino tile over the gap in mine. It's totally possible.

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:40 PM »
You can turn them into a two level and a single level. You can either separate the levels with a ladder, or get a bass pan. Or, I even put a lino tile over the gap in mine. It's totally possible.

I think the issue was she physically wanted to move one level into a different area of the house.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »
Oh, gotcha. I imagine you could still do that, it just won't have a stand. You'd just have to seal off the levels with linoleum or something. Just in case you really wanted it, it is possible.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:02 AM »
Oh, gotcha. I imagine you could still do that, it just won't have a stand. You'd just have to seal off the levels with linoleum or something. Just in case you really wanted it, it is possible.
Unfortunately, the add on level does not come with an extra top piece either :(

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 06:49:27 AM »
I guess for all the trouble, it isn't really worth it, lol.

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
that's an amazing deal. even if you just resell it.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
How?  Its not a terrible deal, but not amazing.  A double FN used goes for 100 (ive seen them for less, but 100 is fair).  For 200 you should be able to get two double FN's (which can be either a triple or two double FN's).  No one would pay MORE than that for a triple so I don't think reselling it would be worth it.  From ozbo.com you can get a brand new double FN for 200, and the add on to make it a triple for 100, so its 300 brand new.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
How?  Its not a terrible deal, but not amazing.  A double FN used goes for 100 (ive seen them for less, but 100 is fair).  For 200 you should be able to get two double FN's (which can be either a triple or two double FN's).  No one would pay MORE than that for a triple so I don't think reselling it would be worth it.  From ozbo.com you can get a brand new double FN for 200, and the add on to make it a triple for 100, so its 300 brand new.

I live in KS.  I never see doubles for less then $150.  There are several in the KCKS area right now & I don't think any of them are less then $150 & they are all 3 hours from me.  Less people around here are into small animals.  There aren't many that I have met who take really good care of them.  Everyone who has ever seen my set up makes comments about how spoiled they are & how they live in mansions.   :-\  Pocket pets aren't really a big deal here.  Most live alone in 10 gallon tanks.  Sad but true.  So FN cages are rare to find 2nd hand & are still pretty expensive.  I will just keep looking.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »

I live in KS.  I never see doubles for less then $150.  There are several in the KCKS area right now & I don't think any of them are less then $150 & they are all 3 hours from me.  Less people around here are into small animals.  There aren't many that I have met who take really good care of them.  Everyone who has ever seen my set up makes comments about how spoiled they are & how they live in mansions.   :-\  Pocket pets aren't really a big deal here.  Most live alone in 10 gallon tanks.  Sad but true.  So FN cages are rare to find 2nd hand & are still pretty expensive.  I will just keep looking.
That sucks :(  I hope you find a good deal on a FN or CN.  I don't get why people are able to sell them for so much though, I'd never pay 150 for something I could get new for 200.  Ironically it is a far more expensive place to live where I am too lol.

Most people around here keep rats in teensy cages too.  There are lots of ferret cages to be had though, from people who impulse bought them when they finally became legal to own a few years back  :-\
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:29:14 PM by smesyna »

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
She is telling me that you CAN use it as 2 separate cages & that all of the cages have a top & a bottom.  Is that right?  I am so confused now.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
She must mean that you can make them seperate cages, meaning block off each level like how a double critter nation can be split. 

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
Ask her if she originally got a 142 and a 141 or if it's a 142 with the 143 add-on.
If it was a 142 + a 141, she should have all the peices needed to make it into two separate cages.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »

This is what she is telling me it looks like between the 1st & 2nd level & the 2nd & 3rd level.  Does that help you guys any?  Obviously it's dirty (it's been in her garage for awhile) & needs to be cleaned up. 

I am still torn.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
Since it has the cutout, it is definitely the fn 142 with the add on on top.  If you really want it, you could always just keep it as one big cage  :)