Author Topic: "Starving" Kitten Care... ?  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
"Starving" Kitten Care... ?
« on: November 25, 2010, 12:42:39 AM »
So long story short... there was a blizzard coming and we rescued a pure white kitten outside. Mama is still outside, she will take food from us but wont let us grab her.. she runs fast. But we have baby inside...

Well we have had baby inside for 3 days now and she is such a lovely little kitten! Purrs so loud and iis very playful... but we noticed she is frantic... and is always on the run around the house she wont calm down... and it is because she can't find any food. She is still in starvation mode and when she finds food will try to eat it ALL... shes afraid she wont get food ever again. We weren't paying attention and ate over over 1/4 cup of cat food and 1/2 cup of tuna fish... because I was use to a cat stopping when it was full, this was the first night, and we thought she was going to be dead... her belly was so big but she still wanted to eat... but she pooped it all out and is okay now. But thing is... is she is like this with food all the time! She is so scared about not getting any food that she has started to eat me... literally!! She made my thumb into raw meat (looking) over 11 puncher wholes in it because she started chewing and wouldn't stop ( I am assuming she smelt food on my fingers). We have been feeding her tiny bits... numerous times a day. Well today she took a hunk out of another finger... mistaken it for food again. She runs around ALLLLLL day meowing SOOOO LOUD looking for food...

At first we thought she looked very healthy... but we are assuming she is under weight, we didnt think so at first, as she is beautiful and very long haired and fluffy, but when you move the hair around her hip bones are sticking out HORRIBLY bad... and so are her ribs.

So... My questions are... what do we need to feed her? ... and how many times a day?... I have been looking around online and some places say goats milk... some say goats milk mixed with a soft cat food and some say for the age, just soft cat food... and a couple tablespoons every few hours... Or should I just use a kitten kibble? (what I have seen they not to use a kitten kibble yet, as it is harder to digest and not good for a hungry/starving kitty)

What would be best for this kitten? She is about 8-10weeks old. (I will post a picture below if anyone else would like to guess) I am thinking the soft kitten food? Also what is the best way to "train" it that it doesnt have to fight for food anymore?... and it can stop looking for it so it doesn't have to freak out every time? ... I have to keep it in my room because it now has found all the dogs bowls in the house and when my door opens it makes a B-line straight to the bowls and starts SCARFING before I can get her up... She found a bag of pepper chips in my room and started scarfing those before I could get them away, she also will start crawling on you and go for your face when you have eaten... or she can smell anything on your breath... I am waiting for the day now she bites our lips :-\ Also... I am really sick of my fingers gettin' eatin :( Will it just take time?... and then she will learn on her own?

I swear the crying wont stop for food.... she doesn't stop.... it goes all through the night even... I feel horrible for the kitty :(

Sophie (I think her name will be, at least with us) in mid meow...

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
    • Robin's Hammocks
Re: "Starving" Kitten Care... ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »
Does anyone know if a home remedy  I could use for tonight? To settle the hungry kitten down? Because of the roads I haven't been able to get to a store like I thought I would yesterday... or today. But tomorrow my mom said she would drive me out to a store after Thanksgiving to get it milk/soft cat food... for now we have been using the cat food we have at home... and tonight is the worst the crying/looking for food has been :-\

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
Sorry i didnt see this last night. I posted in your other thread what to feed a skinny/hungry kitten. 
Canned kitten food and 2oz goat milk. No less than 3 times a day you can feed more often, mothers nurse more often depending on the age.

They need to goat milk because they arent big on drinking water and it helps to keep them full. Make sure you open the can with a can opener and get all of the milkfat out of the can because it sticks to the sides. The goat milk is concentrated- it mixes with an equal amount of water.

Since she obviously has enough teeth to chew you can leave out dry food. Since she is hungry I would feed a kitten food. I would only put a couple TBS of dry out about an hour after feeding the other and not let her gorge on the food.

You can get all of it at walmart, they are open today. Iams kitten food, purina pro plan kitten dry and the canned goat milk is where the condensed milk is. Its cheaper than KMR since the kitten is older and can eat other foods KMR isnt important.

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
Awesome! Thank you so much forkyfork!

We were going to hit the store on the way home tonight but the roads are horrible so we actually aren't going home until tomorrow, early morning around 6ish. So I will make a list of all of this stuff and grab it up! Tonight I was able to give her some canned cat food, but adult... so tomorrow we can get her on the right track! I feel so bad for the baby.

Also with the canned kitten food and goat milk... is there a certain amount? Or do I just follow the feeding instructions on the outside of the kitten food? ... also do I just mix a good amount of goat milk into it? or put that in a dish off to the side?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »
With her I would do 1/4-1/3 of a short can of cat food (tuna size can) and 1-2 oz goat milk. The kitten Im feeding doesnt eat it all so I feed the lesser amount. For yours I would probably feed her the greater amount.

If it comes back up or she seems too bloated then feed the smaller amount. I dont know how big she is so its hard to say.

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
With her I would do 1/4-1/3 of a short can of cat food (tuna size can) and 1-2 oz goat milk. The kitten Im feeding doesnt eat it all so I feed the lesser amount. For yours I would probably feed her the greater amount.

If it comes back up or she seems too bloated then feed the smaller amount. I dont know how big she is so its hard to say.

alright, now is this just once a day... or a few times a day? I am just wondering... also I think I might do the smaller amount... and do it more often. Because no matter how much I give her at one time she is going to eat it all right now. So I would rather stick with the smaller amount and a few more times a day... then do a big amount and have her get sick from it. So I think I will do 1/4 can with the goats milk... 3 or 4x a day... does that sound good to start out with... then I can see how it is going and adjust it from there?

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 02:10:13 AM »
Cats can eat an ounce of canned food per pound of body weight, I don't know how much it differs from kitten to adult. 30-40 calories per pound of body weight is a good start but I've read that kittens need as much as 50-60. She looks old enough to be eating solids but the starvation mode craziness must make things difficult.

If it were my kitten I would feed it grain free canned food as many times a day as possible, 4 to 6 small feedings through the day if you can. Grain free food would be the most digestible... try to stay away from a lot of fruits and veggies too. Carnivores don't need any of those things and trying to digest them can actually weaken the elasticity of the intestines. Kibble isn't good for cats in general, most are made with very poor quality ingredients like grains and corn and even the good higher quality kibbles lack moisture which is absolutely essential in a cat's diet. A raw whole prey diet would be the absolute best but not everyone wants to go that route. I give raw to our cats a few nights a week and that keeps them full longer than canned food. Chicken thigh meat chopped into cubes is a favorite with our two. Freezing meat for 2-3 weeks will kill any potential parasites so there are no worries there. Their tummies are made for processing raw meat.

Almost all cans should list the calorie amount. I would try to buy ones higher in calories so you're getting more for your money with such a hungry little kitten to fill up! EVO's canned cat foods are all on the high end calorie wise as well as the Nature's Variety Instinct line and Wellness.

This little kitty has had a lot of changes in her environment and routine that she needs to get used to. When our youngest kitty was a kitten she yowled like crazy for food, especially if we went anywhere near her bowl or the fridge. We typically gave into her requests to a reasonable extent. She ate 3-4 oz of canned food a day when she was growing and we were also giving her a small amount of kibble free-fed before I learned how damaging it was. Our two adult cats now eat about 200 calories a day each which is about one 5.5 oz can a day each, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. It takes some getting used to figuring out an amount that works best, just trial and error, every cat is different.

Having her checked for worms would be a good idea. She may just be a very vocal and demanding cat, she wouldn't be the first! :P Good luck with her. She has such a cute expression!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »
Robinwkr-

Yes its 3-4 times a day.  I also put the canned in with the goats milk like an island but it doesnt really matter.

You can try a tbs of dry kitten an hour after she eats and see if that doesnt help.

She probably misses her mommy. Sometimes they eat a lot trying to make the feeling go away. A soft stuffed animal can help. Petsmart had some  stuffed Christmas cats for $5 up at the register, the money went to a charity. My little guy liked his stuffed cat when he was in quarantine.

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
How long does goats milk stay good for?

I got it on Friday and opened it and mixed it then. But I never smelt it so I can't smell when it goes bad, as I dont know what it should smell like... the can gave me no direction either...

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
It keeps for at least a week and Im pretty sure 2 weeks. I dont like the smell of goat milk I think it smells like dirt when its just opened. When it goes bad it goes sour like regular milk.

So how is the little one doing?

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 07:35:28 PM »
So how is the little one doing?

She seems to be doing well. We think SHE is actually a HE now :yelcutelaugh: But Monday is the first vet check, so we find out for sure on Monday. My dad also decided to keep her :hyper: So she is ours now. My dad named her Marilyn. (no matter even if the kitten is a little boy, it will be a little girl to us, haha)

But she seems to be gaining weight nicely. Still a little frantic about the food, and wanting to get it. I feed her a half can of kitten food (they are small cans) in the morning mixed with goats milk. (all mixed together it makes about half a cup to a cup of food) then in the afternoon I give her kitten hard food. Then at dinner its the rest of the kitten soft food with goats milk with some hard food mixed in. (a little less of the milk/soft food during the evening cuz i add hard food in it as well) Then in the middle of the night sometimes she gets hard food if she is fussy. She seemed to be doing well for awhile on that, not looking for food anymore or trying to eat the dogs food. But the past 2 days it doesn't seem enough for her. She has started scarfing the dogs food again, and frantically looking all over again. So I am wondering if I should start giving her a bit more food? Or add one more feeding of the soft/milk in there some where?

But my moms puppy has become best friends with Marilyn! They love rolling around and playing like crazy!

This is the Marilyn hug for "awww Winston I just love you"

"Just kidding!! I'm going to eat your face!!"

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
Id leave out more dry food. She might have worms is her belly bloated or does heshe have diarrhea?

Thats great heshe gets a home with her own doggy.  ;D

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
No, no diarrhea. And her tummy isn't bloated. Until she eats a lot, then it gets all plump. But the vet said she would get her first set of shots, and he would also do a worm one just an in case thing.

But i'll have to give her more dry food through out the day.

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »
while dry food can be more convenient, canned food is really the best option for all cats/kittens

you can pretty much free feed a kitten, just put out small amounts of food at a time, or if you won't be around, you can freeze portions and set them out, as they thaw the kitten can chow down as needed.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html

all kittens act like they are starving. LOL

however if you feed calorie dense carb-loaded dry food, the kitten will be at much greater risk of becoming overweight, and then all the problems that go along with that- diabetes, kidney problems, etc.

cats do not have a strong thirst drive, which is why they need water WITH their food, that is, wet food.

she/he is adorable