Author Topic: Instructions for Cuddle Cups and Snuggle Sacks  (Read 7464 times)

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
Instructions for Cuddle Cups and Snuggle Sacks
« on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
Hello to everyone!

Whenever someone comes asking for hammock tutorials, the awesome cube slideshow and the Rattributes pages are always distributed for their eager sewing projects. I'd never yet come across a tutorial for two items that I'd always wanted to figure out, however - the Snuggle Sack and the Cuddle Cup.

Today, I found tutorials online with step-by-step pictures! This was so awesome that I figured I'd share. ;D

Cuddle Cup Tutorial
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/17507-how-make-cuddle-cup-requires-sewing.html

Snuggle Sack Tutorial
http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/craftsguineapigfun/sewingprojects/lilygraceshowtomakeacozy

Thank you to the awesome people who put these up online! I'm going to be trying to make them both for some rattie Santa projects. :heart:
Current are Alexander, Vanellope, Taffyta
R.I.P. Ondo, Jeremy, Iggy, Dai, Doze, Julie, Audrey, Stitch, Johanna, Lucy, Alphonse, Miriam, April, Monty

Offline Inna

Re: Instructions for Cuddle Cups and Snuggle Sacks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
These are great, thanks for posting!  Does anyone happen to have the link for the cube slideshow mentioned here?  I'm hoping to learn to sew some of these great toys, and so far all I've found good instructions for are no-sew fleece stuff.  Thanks!

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
Sure thing! This is Lauren's famous cube tutorial:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22031339@N06/sets/72157613821975753/

And this is an in-depth tutorial on how to make the neat front opening of a cube:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/penguinsane/sets/72157603339747718/
R.I.P. Ondo, Jeremy, Iggy, Dai, Doze, Julie, Audrey, Stitch, Johanna, Lucy, Alphonse, Miriam, April, Monty

Offline Nomi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
Thanks for the links, I'm wanting to do some cuddle cups for a friend as a holiday gift, so good timing!

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
No problem, Nomi! I was so ecstatic when I found out that someone had made an in-depth tutorial. I'd looked for weeks a few months back and had not been successful in finding one.

Here's my very first cuddle cup, imperfect but still snuggly! It's part of a gift set for a lovely lady who adopted four temperamental senior girls from Small Angels.

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
I just found that exact same tutorial. I've been dying to make a cuddle cup for my Ferret Giving Tree ferrets, & I was just given a ton of batting, so now I'm dying to give them a try. I don't honestly like sewing with batting, but those cups are so cute & perfect for ferrets.

Offline kayleys_hammocks

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 12:35:36 AM »
Here is the cuddle cup I made with this tutorial:

:thumbsup2:

Offline Beachwaves0707

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:06 AM »
This may be a little off topic but only one of my rats sleeps in a cuddle cup and loves them. I tried making them a shorter way(they don't look as good) and she won't lay in it. she turn it over as a form of protest so I am forced to make them the longer way. What can I say she's sorta a bRat  :BlueDumboSmile:

By the way kayleys_hammocks Love that fabric!

Offline kayleys_hammocks

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:58:19 AM »

Me too!  :BlueDumboSmile:
These hammocks are for my secret santa partner! I am also making her a cube and 1 other hammock of her choice in this fabric!
I am going to be sad to part with this set  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline Beachwaves0707

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »

Me too!  :BlueDumboSmile:
These hammocks are for my secret santa partner! I am also making her a cube and 1 other hammock of her choice in this fabric!
I am going to be sad to part with this set  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Wow! Your secret santa partner is super lucky! Jealous x 1000 :)

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
Kayley, those are soooooo pretty! Wow are they ever! My love of rainbows is absolutely burning up with this set. You have a very lucky Secret Santa. :D Also, your cup looks beautifully made. I think I'm going to have to ops for a sharper cut next time for the opening, since I really love how that looks.

It's good to see that I wasn't alone in sewing around the edges to seal the hole. I just can't slip-stitch to save my life! I have yet to show any proficiency with hand-sewing. :P What method did you find best to combat the bunching of the fleece? And what method did you use to cut your circle? I'm thinking I'll need a new one for next time.

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
It's good to see that I wasn't alone in sewing around the edges to seal the hole. I just can't slip-stitch to save my life!

Ditto. It's one of those things I just can't seem to teach myself. I need to find someone with handsewing abilities as everyone makes it look so remarkably simple.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline MMak

• Horse & Rat Enthusiast
    • The Critter Cove
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »
I've tried the cuddle cup once.. but I didn't quite like the way it turned out. I find it so annoying to sew with batting.
My rat's still liked it..but it got chewed within 2 weeks, and they aren't chewers. haha

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
Cuddle cups are definitely items I sew for other peoples' pets, not my own. :yelcutelaugh: My guys think that anything cup-shaped and full of batting is a feast of fabric delight!

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
I've tried the cuddle cup once.. but I didn't quite like the way it turned out. I find it so annoying to sew with batting.
My rat's still liked it..but it got chewed within 2 weeks, and they aren't chewers. haha

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really, really dislike batting.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:09 AM »
I know this topic hasn't been posted in since last year, but I want to thank The Jenn for posting this.

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
Since this has already been dug up... is there some super secret way to effectively sew through batting? Does it go on the bottom layer or the top?  :help: Every time I try it, it fails... Last time not as miserably as my cuddle cup attempt, but still not good.

Offline The Jenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Better with a buddy!
    • Jenn's Hammock Hobby
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
Awww, you're so welcome! It was such a treat to see a message from this topic in my inbox.

@cerulean.blue: I've found that a walking foot on my sewing machine is the best way to work with batting. It's specifically designed to sew through multiple layers (and works very well on lots of fleece as well) by moving the bottom and the top simultaneously instead of just the bottom. Try to get a less fluffy type of batting and it's less likely to cause you problems while still giving some firmness to your cup.

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »
I don't think I have one of those. From the one I found at Joann's site, they look kinda expensive. I'll see if I can find some less fluffy batting. The one I got I didn't think was too bad, but I think they have some other kind that's more like thick felt almost? It's been a while since I bought it, and I really don't know much about sewing, other than the very basics that are required for me to be able to sew hammocks. What about some kind of foam? Would you be able to sew that? It seems like it would work better than batting.

Offline Cavylover916

• Ritten
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »
I tried making the cuddle cup and it hasn't worked well for me. I tried the pattern 3 different times.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »
Jenn, i'm interested in seeing the way to sew a very neat cube entrance but when I go to that link it says the page is private  :-\  do you have another one somewhere that isn't private?

Offline RoscoTheRat

• "My rats think you're gross too."-Unknown
    • The American Pit Bull Terrier and Dog Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
Thanks for posting! I have been wanting to make a cuddle cup for my bunnies since they are coming in for the winter... the issue is I tried to make one and it came out HORRIBLY! These would help. Haha. I also wanted to make a cub thing big enough for them too. :thumbsup2:
Rats:Rosco. Cricket. Boo. Bug. [G] Juno. Nibbler.
Mice:Butters. [G] Moomoo. Tigerpaw.
Bunnies: Nava and Domino (females).
Dogs: Philly (Male Pit Bull, Dharma (Female Hound/mix) and Thor (GSD).
Cat: Spike (male stripped cat).
Bearded Dragon: Fatty (male Orange).

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »
Edit: nevermind, the link I had was already posted.

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
Thank you so much! I will have to try out the cuddle cup to see how I do. I still need to figure out how to do a Double Decker too

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
anyone who has ferrets or has made the cuddle cup... do you think that 11" diameter is good for ferrets?

I adopted a couple for christmas, as in I am their sanata on the giving tree, I wont be bringing them home, haha. A couple of their wants is some cuddle cups, as one of my guys is old deaf and blind.

I was going to give it a go at making some so i dont have to buy them... need to know if this is a good size as i have never even seen a ferret!

(well i have, but just behind glass!)