Author Topic: I HATE irresponsible people. How long can rats go without eating?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Shaananigans

I left my girls in the care of my roommate and a friend, because both said they didn't mind taking a few minutes out of their days to feed them, play, and clean their cage. My roommate is supposed to be feeding them once a day but my friend (who agreed to clean the cages despite not living in the apartment) says she doesn't think he has been. Honestly, I'm not surprised. Right before I left I had doubts about letting him because he's the sort of person who is "too nice" to say no, but at that point I didn't have any other options. I asked my friend if she could fill two of their food bowls up when she goes over ever few days (usually only one is full and the other catches dripping water).

How long rats can go without eating? They're about 3 months old, both female. I feel safe in saying they have a constant supply of water because my friend refills their bottle when she comes over, and usually that last them 3-4 days (by which time she will have returned and refilled it). But if they go 2-3 days without food could it cause death or severe illness?

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Re: I HATE irresponsible people. How long can rats go without eating?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
2-3 days without food is incredibly serious for a rat!! They're not even supposed to be fasted for 8 hours before surgery like other animals because of their fast metabolisms.  Please try and find a way to convince someone to feed the rats..it really takes so little to fill a bowl.

Offline Shaananigans

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:43:07 AM »
Ughhhhh! Well, I know they like to hide food all over the place the minute I would feed them so maybe they're snacking. But I'm still pissed off. If something happens to them he's getting a bat to his head.   >:(

I'm going to ask my friend if she can go over at least every other day. She may already be going over there more often because she doesn't think he's feeding them. Love that girl. If she can't then maybe another friend can.

Offline Frequently Not On Boats

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:14:13 AM »
Yeah, I've seen rats go a few days with minimal food, but it's really tragic. That's also usually when they begin to get aggressive, at least temporarily, until they're well fed again. (Can you blame them?)

It sounds like you need to have a serious talk with your roommate about this "too nice to say no" thing... It's fine if it's something like, hang on to my lucky hat until I get back to keep it safe, but these girls are living animals. If he is really not able/comfortable with following through you need to know so that you can find someone who will.

Offline Shaananigans

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »
I'm not even going to ask him for favors anymore, he's completely unreliable. I find it amazing because he lives 2 steps from my room, and their food is already mixed up and ready to be given, yet he can't just put it in the bowl once a day. Yet my friend, who lives in the apartment complex but further than 2 steps can come over twice a week to clean the cage and play with the girls (which takes more like 15 minutes [for the clean]). SMH.

When I get back I'm feeding them everything under the sun. They want pancakes? They get pancakes. They want my pizza? They get my pizza.

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 04:14:19 AM »
Maybe until then, you can ask your friend to overfeed them a bit when she is there? Maybe dump a huge pile of food in the cage and let them stash it. You can clean it up when you get home and at least that way you'll know that they'll have more than enough. I'm leaving for a couple of days here and don't have a sitter (Boyfriend will be gone from tomorrow through the evening of the 24th and I'll be gone from the morning of the 22nd through the 27th) but I'm going to buy a couple of extra big water bottles to stick on the cages and add a couple of food mountains for the days that we are both going to be gone. It won't be optimal, and I'm sorry that they aren't going to get free range time, but at least they'll be well fed.

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »
I tend to 'overfeed' at feeding time anyways ... just because I live in a snow belt, and work 30 miles from home.  I'd rather know they HAVE food in case I'm late, then have a perfectly clean cage at all seconds of the day.  Having it stashed in hiding places won't kill them.

When you get home ... smack said roommate for me, mkay?

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
Rats can actually go a surprisingly long time without food and stay alive, but doing so has very critical health side effects.

Offline HeraAnanieAnnabell

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »
Rats can actually go a surprisingly long time without food and stay alive, but doing so has very critical health side effects.

Yeah, I've seen people not feed rats but once every three days. They were very aggressive and thin though, they looked horrible  :worry: