Author Topic: My rats have lice that I CANNOT get rid of! Please help!  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Rats0hRats

• Ritten
My rats have lice that I CANNOT get rid of! Please help!
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
:help: I've have my 3 ratties for about a year now, and this past September I noticed that they had an infestation of tiny red bugs on them.  Since nothing new has happened with them, I'm guessing they got them from their litter.  I brought them to the vet, who checked the bugs under a microscope and told me they are species specific rat lice and prescribed 3 weeks worth of oral Ivermectin for them.  I bleached the cage, all their accessories, and threw out the rest of their food/litter/anything that couldn't be cleaned. I did this on the day of their first dose, and their last.  They seemed to be doing well, but now in December I noticed they've been scratching themselves again.  I looked, and the lice are back! Infested again! So back to the vet I went, and this time she prescribed me 4 weeks dosage, gave me Frontline spray (to spray on a rag and rub the area of the floor where their cage sits 1x/week).  In addition to the weekly room spray and dose, I gave them weekly Extra Virgin Olive Oil baths, lice combed them, and froze all of their bedding/anything that could be frozen and threw everything else out.  Now one week after their last treatment, the lice are BACK!!! I'm so upset because I feel like I have tried the most effective methods and nothing has worked! I have no idea what else I can do for them.  I don't want to do Ivermectin anymore as I feel too much of it will get them sick.  If anyone knows a way to FINALLY get rid of the lice once and for all, pleaseee let me know.  I don't want my ratties to suffer and don't think I can part with them  :'( :worry:

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
Re: My rats have lice that I CANNOT get rid of! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »
Revolution.  And as a precaution, freeze your bedding 24 - 48 hours before using it.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Rats0hRats

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
Okay, I'm going to buy the Revolution tonight.  Is there one for small animals, or does any (dog/cat) work? I never checked it out before.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
You need to get it from a vet. Puppy, cat and kitten work. It's one drop on the back of the neck. Depending on how many rats you have you may need to get cat or puppy since kitten is onlyenough for three or four rats.

Yes definitely freeze all the bedding, that is why they came back.

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »
Here is a link to making your own bedding. If you live anywhere in the frozen north, I don't recommend trying it this time of year, since a trash can of paper mache will turn into a frozen wad of wet paper in this weather, but when spring comes you can start making your own. If you do that, no mites will come in on your bedding and it will help solve your problems.

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4069770.0

Offline Rats0hRats

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:17:10 PM »
I just checked out the link for making my own bedding, and I love it! That's a brilliant idea and I can't wait to try it!! Thank you so much for sharing that link.    :)
Also, can't wait to try the Revolution.. hopefully I can contact my vet and get ahold of it sometime early next week. I'm glad that I have another option available for my ratties  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
It does sound like they keep getting reinfected from the stowaways on the bedding.  Freeze for 48 hours (I think that's the minimum) to kill the lice.

Revolution is awesome stuff, one drop on the back of their neck (I usually part the fur to the skin near the top of the ear as it absorbs through the skin faster, wait one minute and put the rat back.  The lice start dying as soon as they start biting.   Its also effective for 30 days :D

Can you toss that Frontline please?  Fipronil (active ingredient) is toxic to rats if ingested :(