Author Topic: New to rabbits - Help please!  (Read 3373 times)

Offline mootpoint

New to rabbits - Help please!
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
I found my rabbit in the parking lot at my school and took her in because I am not a big fan of the humane society. She has been doing fairly well, however, lately has been doing a few odd things...

1) She is eating a lot less hay. When we first got her she also ate almost no hay, but the vet told us this was because we were feeding her too many pellets. Now we are feeding her only a 1/4 cup of pellets per day, but she has cut down on the hay she has been eating. We haven't switched the kind or anything...why would she be doing this? Can the season influence this? It is winter currently.

2) She has started pulling out her fur. I assume she is pulling it out because it is in huge clumps everywhere, and it didn't seem like shedding.

Any insight from rabbit veterans would be great! She's not a very friendly rabbit so mainly she just roams the house and does her own thing. She likes our other pets, although they don't care for her much. I am not sure of her breed or her age.
“The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"” - J. Bentham

Offline rissa1227

• Posts Too Much!
Re: New to rabbits - Help please!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
some female rabbits pull out fur just to make random nests everywhere. but it can also be a sign shes pregnant

Offline mootpoint

Re: New to rabbits - Help please!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
Ha it's unlikely she's pregnant unless rat-rabbit babies are genetically possible :P She has not been in contact with another rabbit since last october.
“The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"” - J. Bentham