Author Topic: Normal/healthy urine output in volume per day?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Normal/healthy urine output in volume per day?
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:24:32 AM »
Say...

Does anyone know (or have a really educated guess?)  about, say, what the "normal" urine output for a healthy cat would be per day?

Or...if you're a litter scooper...about the size and frequency of healthy cat scoops?

It's been so long since I had a cat with remotely normal output that I've really gone and forgotten!  With a recent med change the volume in his urine has changed very significantly, but I'm still not sure how close to normal things are.

Thanks! - Raaz.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Normal/healthy urine output in volume per day?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
Normal seems to run about the size of a tennis ball, or a little smaller, if my cats are anything to go by... 

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
My two healthy girls provide me with 3-4 golf balls each morning, sometimes more. Eating wet food produces something more like hockey pucks or the aforementioned tennis balls. Where would we be without sports? ;D

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
I don't understand how many of each size we are talking about how often.  For either post.

If I can differentiate bewteen my boy who pees like a racehorese all day long and my girl who is probably still pretty normal output (despite borderline declining kidney function), my girl pees I THINK about two or three spots about one half to two thirds a tennis ball per day.  It gets hard to tell because my boy pees all over everything and it sorta melds together!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:22:18 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
Well, my girls share litter boxes, so my morning scooping yeilds 3-4 golf ball size clumps per day. If I feed them wet food it's like 4 tennis balls instead. So I'd just average that to 2 clumps per cat per day, the size changing depending on if they ate canned or kibble. Hope that helps. It would be so much easier to tell if they didn't share pans but my girls like to poop in one pan and pee in the other. So I will sometimes get just one giant multi-layered clump in the corner :-\

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
I have 3, so differentiating who pees what is harder.  And I'm not always good about scooping at the same time, but what Billie says sounds reasonable.   About 2 tennis ball sized clumps per cat, per day seems to be what I was finding when they get canned food, and I was scooping once a day.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
These sound pretty consistent with what I think my girly puts out.  Two or three (at most!) bigger than golf ball but smaller than tennis ball sized clumps.  The boy is a whole different matter.  He can really crank out the pee!  Even when his thyroid levels were on the low side of normal with medication, his pee never slowed down a whole lot.  That's kind of a mystery.  Esp. since his kidney function tests all still come up quite normal!  Just curious.  Thanks.