Author Topic: Bedding for guinea pigs  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Debbie

Bedding for guinea pigs
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:42:29 AM »
I have been trying to use fleece ( or towels, or thick cotton fabrics) as bedding for my guinea pigs but the fleece is getting so wet I almost need to change the bedding a couple times a day. I have tried putting a puppy "pee pad" between layers of the fleece (or under a towel) to help the top fabric layer stay drier but the fleece still gets and stays damp. ***I have also tried using Petco's version of Carefresh but that gets damp too. I at first thought the water bottle must be leaking to get the bedding so damp but it isn't. The place that is wettest is where the piggie bottoms sit while the piggies are eating their food and veggies! What beddings do you all use? If you use fleece, HOW do you use it so the piggies aren't walking around on wet bedding?

Debbie

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
Re: Bedding for guinea pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:26:55 AM »
If you use fleece, you have to put a layer of towels under it. You need a layer of nice thick towels on the bottom
and fleece on top, covering it. They are not meant to be used separately. Fleece does not absorb moisture. In face, this is the whole purpose of the fleece. The pee goes through the fleece and soaks up into the bottom layer - the towels - which does absorb the moisture.

How big is your cage? This might also be a problem. Having to change it daily is yet another consequence of a small cage. I had four pigs in a 3x4 grid cage and it never got as wet as you've mentioned.

You might also want to try using fleece and towels and adding a litter box of carefresh. Put the hayrack over the litterbox and they'll use it more often.

Offline CassinCA

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »
With the fleece, you should be using two or three layers of fleece. The litterbox idea is helpful with getting most of the poos and pee in there. If your cage is rather small, the pee will be more concentrated and your towels will not get soaked up so quickly.
Use coupon code GM at checkout for 10% off!

Offline Debbie

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
The pigs *were in a small cage. ***I got a coroplast 2' x 4' cage/box from the cavy rescue but hadn't gotten a lid made (I have a cat.) so was using the small cage in the meantime. FINALLY today I went to Home Depot and found nice people to help me. They cut down two 6' wire shelf pieces for me. I came home and attached the pieces with cable ties and voila! The pig boys are now in a roomier cage! I laid down two towels and then one layer of fleece on top. Please let me know if I should do something different. The boys also have a boxed area I put YN in, along with their food and hay, so I HOPE most of the pee will be deposited there!

Debbie

Offline CassinCA

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
That sounds good! Do you have coroplast or some kind of surface underneath the towels and fleece?
Use coupon code GM at checkout for 10% off!

Offline htsr4

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
I use UHaul blankets for under the fleece. These ones
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670
You can also use mattress pads for an absorbent layer. You use 2 layers of UHaul blankets, I dont know how many layers of mattress pads, and only 1 layer of fleece. If you use more than 1 layer of fleece it will not whick properly to the absorbent layer. You have to wash the fleece at least 3 times in hot water for it to whick pee. Never use fabric softener.
You can make a kitchen area. Guinea pigs like to eat and potty at the same time. You just hang a hay rack above the litter pan to encourage them to pee in the litter pan. I also put towels down before giving them their veggies. That way the fleece stays dry longer. You can also put towels under their hideys since they like to pee where they hide.

Offline Dutches

• Ritten
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
 :thumbsup2: i LIKED YOUR IDEA'S ON THE BEDDING I AM GOING TO TRY IT OUT AND SEE HOW I DO . I AM NEW AT THE GUINEA PIG STUFF I AM A MOM JUST HELPING MY SPECIAL NEED'S DAUGHTER WITH HER PASSION FOR PIGGY'S . THANK YOU . :balloon: