Author Topic: Oxygen Tent - Info, Advice, Anything??  (Read 886 times)

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
Oxygen Tent - Info, Advice, Anything??
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
I'm looked for information on them for a friend, searched Oxygen Tents on here. Her vet recommended it for one of her rats who has a lot of fluid in his lungs (He's now got ABs) but didn't know much anything about them from what I understand. I've looked it up on Google as well and have gotten some hit or miss answers about being able to make one with a travel carrier, plastic or something to cover the holes and an oxygen tank but I honestly have no clue.

Is there any other names I can search for? Any help is appreciated, the vet told her that some dedicated animal owners will use them so she's having me look into it until she can get home to check. I figured after no real answers on Google that I'd post here and hope for some help.

Update Before I Even Post:
She did find some info but it says she'll need an o2 converter which can range around $600 big ones she says.

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Oxygen Tent - Info, Advice, Anything??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »
Yep, that's about the right price for an oxygen concentrator, if that's what you were talking about.  You can sometimes find a used one thru a medical supply company.  I had a friend that used O2 for her rat, but very soon after she began treating him, he couldn't do without it at all and he was finally PTS.

And you're not talking about a nebulizer, for giving him inhaled medicines?  Just confirming....
Currently smitten with Jillybean, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Nope, an oxygen tent, not a nebulizer. I looked it up to make sure they weren't the same thing at first.

He actually apparently loves his antibiotics thank goodness.

Do you think a bronchodilator would work?

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:11 PM »
I've had good luck with bronchodilators.  With a lot of fluid in his lungs already, I think I'd go with an oral bronchodilator - I like Theophylline best, but Albuterol works, too. 
Currently smitten with Jillybean, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline TnM

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
I did this recently, had to for a rat. It didn't end well for me but here goes on what I learned:

You have to be *very careful* about how muich oxygen you give, you can't just give pure oxygen, there needs to be outside ventalation too, enough to keep the oxygen concentration up, but not too much. If you're seeing frequent yawning, it's too high, if the animals feet and tail are not the appropraite pink color but rather purple/blueish or purple, or red, you've got it too low(or way, way too high) and once you put an animal ON oxygen, it takes a lot of time a LOT of time to safely wean them off of it!!!! You must take many hours to wean an animal slowly off of oxygen or terrible things will happen, seriously! That part is not easy or fun.

I used a 1-2 liter I believe plastic shoebox type storage thing with attached lid(sterilite) I got at walmart, I drilled a hole for the oxygen cord adn propped the lid open a little bit for ventilation and it seemed to work well, but it was only big enough for one female to stretch out in one food bowl and a blankie on the bottom.

If you used a say 10 gallon tank, with holes drilled in a piece of plastic or plexi-glass for the top, be sure of enough outside ventilation, that would work better for long-term I would think. More room to move around. eat, be comfy. The larger the space you need to fill with oxygen, the more you will need(bigger tank) obviously.

EDIT: It was expensive, I just went to my local human medical supply place, my vet called in the script, I rented a refillable tank for $50. The tank was too small, you can get them that would last 2-3 days or at least 24 hours depending on waht setting, but you'll have to pay to have it refilled. I believe each refill was 12$ for my small tank. you'll have to work out a carrier that is oxygenated to take the rat to the vet, and somehow something while you're switching tanks.

EDIT AGAIN: something like lasix would help get teh fluid out, but you've got to be attacking the infection hard core at the same time and work real hard to keep the rats hydration up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:48:39 PM by TnM »
3 Girls in QT: Shady and Misha(the old ladies), and Blue Fairy
4 Boys: Spaz, Brother, Buddy, Valentino

RIP: Memory and Rattie Girl, Tinsel(amazing monkey rat), Ruby(The Gentle Giant), Holly(lil' tilty holly jolly rattie) - Gone from sight but never forgotten.

Offline TnM

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
I tried to go back to edit my edits and add more but the forum wouldn't let me so here would be my additions:

EDIT: It was expensive, I just went to my local human medical supply place, my vet called in the script, I rented a refillable tank for $50. The tank was too small, you can get them that would last 2-3 days or at least 24 hours depending on waht setting, but you'll have to pay to have it refilled. I believe each refill was 12$ for my small tank. you'll have to work out a carrier that is oxygenated to take the rat to the vet( a small plastic shoe box thing like I did would work, if the animal is sick enough to need oxygen it's not going anywhere) and just carry the tank, and somehow something while you're switching tanks. Once you've got an animal that needs it on oxygen it's a terrible thing, even opening the container just to give foods/meds very quickly depletes the oxygen level enough to make the animal uncomfortable for minutes at a time... You would need multiple tanks rented, backup, and plan out how much oxygen you need because if you run out suddenly the rat will die in a horrible way.

EDIT AGAIN: something like lasix would help get teh fluid out, but you've got to be attacking the infection hard core at the same time and work real hard to keep the rats hydration up. A nebuliser might help more, get the antibiotics into the lungs where it's needed most.
3 Girls in QT: Shady and Misha(the old ladies), and Blue Fairy
4 Boys: Spaz, Brother, Buddy, Valentino

RIP: Memory and Rattie Girl, Tinsel(amazing monkey rat), Ruby(The Gentle Giant), Holly(lil' tilty holly jolly rattie) - Gone from sight but never forgotten.

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
Good news: It seems Iggy is responding well to his meds and loves them very much :)

Instead of the cost of the Oxygen Tent it seems she's going with anything else she can due to the expense of it and a homeade oxygen tent sounds risky to me. Steamy bathroom steam baths and other similar stuff. Apparently after the first day he's been doing good, a lot quieter and such. Hoping well, the vet estimated 70% fluid in his lungs when she checked him out