Author Topic: Litter Box troubles  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
Litter Box troubles
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »
 My sister who is now in her late 20s as always been the one to bring things home.
Roxy- hers ( now mine)
Pele- Hers
Bowie- Hers..
 She how them as kittens and took them home froma fair where they were giving away them. didn't call my mom or anything just came home with them.
WE have 4 cats and everything is great, no fighting and everyone is very healthy.
There was a time when lisa did take her two cats with her when she moved out  but now they are back. First it was b/c she moved into her boyfriends house and lived downstairs and the dogs would have killed the cats and that was fine.
 She has now moved to chicago and they are still here.
Everything would be fine if Bowie didn't have such problems with just using a litter box.
He never had problems in the past but once he came back from living in her apartment.. problems  came. He has been seen by a vet and nothing is coming up. I feed them Blue buffalo food but everytime my mom put down a rug he will pee and poo on it. you take it away he doesn't. My door is always closed but one night my mom had gone in my room and didn't close the door and i came home to poo on my bed. Thats not something he normally does.
 Its driving me crazy that my sister isn't doing anything about this. Its getting bad, we are worried that if we replace the carpet he will just keep doing this.
 We clean the litter boxes daily and always make sure they are cleaned out, none of the other cats have issues just bowie.. i wish i just could get him to stop
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Litter Box troubles
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »
I have a cat that wont use a litter box that has anything in it from him or another cat. He would pee on the clean laundry even dirty laundry wasnt good enough.

After 5 littermaids (the first lasted 5yrs the others were horrible) I tried a litter robot. I have 8 cats everyone uses the same box. The only time I had any problems with peeing outside of the box was when Punk had a bladder infection.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:43:21 AM »
I have a cat that wont use a litter box that has anything in it from him or another cat. He would pee on the clean laundry even dirty laundry wasnt good enough.

After 5 littermaids (the first lasted 5yrs the others were horrible) I tried a litter robot. I have 8 cats everyone uses the same box. The only time I had any problems with peeing outside of the box was when Punk had a bladder infection.

OMG, so (not at all) funny about the dirty laundry!  You poor thingie!

I have a friend with one of those litter robot things and it's the GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD!  Believe me, with my cat who pees enough for four cats (health issues) I'd SOOOO love one!

I always mean to ask her how much it ran her.  I'm sure i'd be worth it, though!  (She has a small herd of cats, herself, and fostered another couple at a time, so it REALLY was worth it to them!)

We had one kitty who pooped (exclusively, thank goodness) outside of the box.  We never knew why.  Figured something hurt his butt one day in the box and he just didn't poop there after that.  Nothing of any obvious sort was ever wrong with him...who knows, it could have just been a one time event that made him scared of it.

Maybe when he was at her house she was bad at cleaning the box and it just started the habit.  Kitties are so weird that way.

Best of luck with your phantom pooper.

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »
I have a carpet pee-er too!  My oldest girl was feral for the first 8 months of her life.  Once she was indoors she didn't understand why I only wanted her to pee in the stupid box things.  Anything soft and fuzzy was just fine for her.  I definitely haven't completely rid her of this habit, but over the years I've lessened it majorly.  I started out by getting the Cat Attract cat litter.  It's the only litter I'll buy now because that actually got her to use the litter box consistently.  I use that litter in four different litter boxes for two cats. 

After that, honestly, it was just prevention.  I can't trust her around carpets at all and only certain cat beds/blankets.  My two cats are confined to our basement and the kitchen.  We have a baby gate at the kitchen to block them off from the rest of the house (and to block the dogs from the kitchen).  I wish they could have full house rein, but Stinky wouldn't be able to hand it. 

How long have the cats been back at your house?  Could he be stressed from the move and readjustment to living with multiple other cats again?
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline Cari

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
Did the issues ever resolve?

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
Oh my god, my cat will pee on any clothes left on the floor, I HATE IT.

He's 15 now, and i dont think he'll ever change
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha