Author Topic: Poop in the pocket hammock. **Sigh***  (Read 610 times)

Offline Darklingthrush

Poop in the pocket hammock. **Sigh***
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:21 PM »
I have 3 boys (two 8 weeks old, one 10 weeks old) in a Martin's R695. I currently have aspen in the pan, and hardwood stove pellets in the litter box (right now just one litter box). I understand that under the ramp is a popular pooping area for other people's rat, and yes I've seen a nugget in the box here and there, but 97% of their poop is in their favorite hammock! I keep putting the poop in the litter box in hopes that they might get figure it out, but every day there is poop in the hammock. I even moved it somewhere else in the cage, and still that is where the pooping takes place.

Is there anything else I can be doing to help them "get it"?

Is it possible they just aren't fans of the stove pellets?

I just bought the Martin's playpen, and I sat in several very stinky poos (yes, I did put a litterbox in there as well) D:

Help?

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
Re: Poop in the pocket hammock. **Sigh***
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »
I giggled when I read this....

Try combining what you're doing with washing that hammock VERY often?

Also how often are you poop patrolling?  You should be doing it every 2 hours to try to litter train them.....

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »
They are very young, it's certainly too soon to give up. Boys are generally more willing to sit in filth too, so extra patience is needed for them. Basically they're so comfortable and safe that they don't want to leave that spot. My new (adult) boys go 90% in their pans and 10% in their favorite basket. It kills me!
Put a litter pan (this can be a low-sided Tupperware container or something, no reason to go buy another pan) as close to their favorite hammock as you can. I've found that my rats are less likely to mess the hammock if they don't have to travel far to use the pan. I have 4 pans in my cage, one on each shelf and floor.
And switching up litter might help too. My rats will poop on anything in the litter pan but I've heard thet some rats do have a preference. If you know what they used to use before coming to you, give that product a try.
Get the poops in the pan as soon as you can and when you clean the pan, make sure to leave some soiled litter or poops in it. I do a poopy patrol twice a day, but my rats are all adults used to using pans. The more often you do it, the more likely they will be to get it. As for playtime, you'll just need to keep an eye out. If you notice somebody assuming the position, quickly (but gently so you don't freak them out) scoop them up and put them in the pan. Good luck!

Offline Darklingthrush

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
@vivianelizabeth,  lol I giggle at myself...
I will try washing that hammock, I hadn't thought of that, but unfortunately I work full time so the every two hours thing is pretty much impossible for me to do. Obviously, when I'm home I can certainly to do it more often.

@Billie40, the location of the poopy hammock is at the top of my R695 on the opposite side of the cage from the shelf. Kinda hard to put a litter box there, so do you think I should move the hammock?

4 pans! Wow, what cage/how many rats do you have? Maybe I need another pan...

I think they aren't crazy about the stove pellets, I hardly ever see them venture into the box.

I have been leaving their poops in the pan, and I guess I will just have to keep doing what I'm doing. Yeesh.

Thanks guys

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
I sympathize with the full schedule! I'm a full time student with a part time job.  Usually doing the best you can with poop patrol is enough; rats are nocturnal technically anyways :P

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
I only have 6 rats, but the double CN provides them with plenty of space to poop outside of the box :yelcutelaugh: It does seem like an excessive amount of pans but it has made my poopy patrols much quicker. I also have less pee on my fleece because the pans are all in optimal pee corners. And at feeding time? Well, everyone knows how popular litter pans are for eating. They're truly a multipurpose cage accessory  ::)
I would either move the hammock for now (maybe put a a simple flat in it's place up top?) or create a makeshift shelf to put a pan on. You can use shelf organizers or store bought cage shelves for this purpose.
I've recently started using the stove pellets and am not a big fan. I mean, the price is awesome but the compressed wood pellets sold as pet litter were much better at odor control :confused: I just put a light layer of Carefresh over the pellets to see if this helps in any way. 3 days in and it's still too soon to tell...

Offline Darklingthrush

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:22:03 AM »
Yeah too bad I bought a crap ton! Ugh. Haha. I wouldn't have much to say about their odor control for reasons you already know ;)

It is interesting because, they ONLY do it with that hammock. So when I change sets (right now I only have 2) they just poop everywhere, and then when its cage cleaning time and that set goes back in, POOP IN THE POCKET HAMMOCK!  ("Really, guys?? Really?!" :doh:)

And you know what? Its not that easy to get poop out of those efficiently, at least for a novice such as myself  ::).