Author Topic: "sealing" metal FN base pans  (Read 479 times)

Offline ashleymd

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moving Along In Life
"sealing" metal FN base pans
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »
I received my pans the other day, despite my goof on my order, i am wondering what people do to either coat or "seal" their pans? I've never had metal pans before, but have heard horror stories of the metal absorbing the lovely aroma that our darlings rats leave behind!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:
Mommy to: Bear, Mia, CoCoa-Mo, Nala, Jasper + some fishies.

Blackie, Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge know you've always been my number one man. 

To all my other fur babies - I love each of you, they don't give me enough space to name you all.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Re: "sealing" metal FN base pans
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
You paint them with rustoleum painters touch.  It works best if you use a primer first.  You just do a few thin coats (NOT one big coat, or it'll chip off) paying attention to the directions on the can (after a certain amount of time, you can't do more coats without waiting 24 hours for it to start to cure.)  Then, you let it cure for 14 days to be nontoxic to the rats (the paint itself is nontoxic, but it takes 14 days to fully harden and for all the icky fumes to evaporate.

Offline JOOOWEE

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
Sticky flooring squares. Make clean up easy and they can be pulled out and replaced every few months
Julie Pierce
Massachusetts
Ratty babies: Nora, Blaze, Hanna, Bella, Marathon, Chloe, Misty and Kojak

Offline JOOOWEE

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »
Sticky flooring squares. Make clean up easy and they can be pulled out and replaced every few months
Julie Pierce
Massachusetts
Ratty babies: Nora, Blaze, Hanna, Bella, Marathon, Chloe, Misty and Kojak

Offline Sidders

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
Or you can find a local business to powder coat it for you. I paid $20 to get one pan done, it may take some looking around though to get a good price (another place wanted $40).

You don't have the mess with powder coating, plus you can use it as soon as it's done with no fumes, and the paint is a little more durable.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
Yes, if you can get them powdercoated cheap its definitely the better option.  I called around and the best quote I got for the two pans was $75  :o...yeah not paying a total of 140 for some cage pans lol.  If I could have gotten it done cheaper I would have done it though.  Spray painting it is very effective though if you can't get them powdercoated, the only place any paint has come off for me is from me scraping it against the side of the cage putting it in, which is a small amount, plus, its not like they can pee on the outside of the pan  :yelcutelaugh: