Author Topic: Female Tan Hooded in St Louis  (Read 1021 times)

Offline greenmagick

Female Tan Hooded in St Louis
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
Last week I rescued a sweet female rat from petsmart.  She was not bought, someone had given her to them to adopt out.  I hated the thought of her living there, so we took her home.

She is really very sweet, however, she does bite.  Not in fear or aggression, but in thinking fingers are food.  My problem is my colony live in a critter nation in the main part of the house.  I have two young children, and other children visit.  I am working with her a bit on the biting, but am not confident that I can get her to where she needs to be to live with my children.  Also, I admit, with my other pets and kids etc, I do not have as much time to give to her as she needs to get over this. 

If anyone is interested, please let me know.  She really is sweet and inquisitive.  She comes right up to you for pets and scritches, but that is part of the problem lol...because she also bites.

Offline greenmagick

Re: Female Tan Hooded in St Louis
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
 :poke:

Offline GailV

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
My daughter is interested in finding out more about what the rat looks like -- how dark is the tan?  We have a female tan hooded adopted from Petsmart (not sold -- leaky tear duct made her unsalable) who bites and is generally unsocialized to humans.  She's ready for a new cage mate now, but we'd like to make sure we could tell them apart easily since it sounds like they have the same coloring. 

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
I will try to get better pics this weekend...this is just one I snapped on my phone in a dark car on our way home with her

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
bumpity bump

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
Poor Blossom still needing a home?  Let me ask around....
Currently smitten with Sandy, Dusty, Ringo, Pretty Boy, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
Thanks...

I have been trying to work with her a bit but right now my old man is sick again...having surgery yet again for a tumor tuesday. 

Offline Reiss

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
We might be interested.

We currently have 11 rats (none of them biters, grin), but we've had a couple biters in the past, one of which was very similar to the one you have, i.e. we got her from the Humane Society where she'd come from in a less than optimal situation and would bite in a non-malicious but still painful manner if you stuck you finger in front of her.

Let us know if you still are searching for a home.

Steve

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
I am.....though I have to admit she does seem to be getting a bit territorial in the cage...but I believe that is because she is still by herself and is bored.  I feel awful for her living like that but its just not safe to have her exposed to my children.

Offline Reiss

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »

I think we're interested, but I can't seem to figure out how to send a private message to you.  I'll admit that while we've occasionally checked this board over the last couple years, I probably qualify as a newbie.

I'm perplexed as to what do now....  :doh:

Offline greenmagick

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
I sent you a pm...see if you can respond.  If not, I included my email addy, just use that:)