Author Topic: Are these home's any good?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
Are these home's any good?
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »
*Kat*
----------
I believe that all knowledge, the totality of all questions and answers, is contained in animals.

**Mom To:**

Currently living the good life in home cage!

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
Re: Are these home's any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
Nope. The shelves are wood, which will soak up pee in no time, making them smelly and gross. I can't believe they actually make a cage out of wood. That doesn't make any sense to me. Not to mention the fact that the rats could chew the levels away to nothing if they wanted.

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
I'd pass on those. It says the wood is treated, which isn't safe if they chew it.  Plus, all that wood will be chewed and peed on, ruining the cage in no time.

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
Oh ok thankx!
So plastic is good then?
*Kat*
----------
I believe that all knowledge, the totality of all questions and answers, is contained in animals.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
Don't do it! I had one of those for a short time. I thought oh a natural cage awesome! WRONG! This cage was fine with my one girls who is completely litter trained but my other rat was not :( shelves ruined in no time. They are nice cages but with the wood shelves and ramps after a few weeks it will stink to high heavens and soon after that fall apart. Learn from my mistake and don't waste your money.... I needed another cage until I got my CN and this one was big enough for a short time and relatively cheap but I wouldn't make that kind of mistake ever again.

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4470997

I really think this one is a good one for rat's.
I plan on making myself a b-day present so ya.
*Kat*
----------

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »

This one is better... The dimensions of the cage on the site I believe are for the base alone (the base actually tapers down), the wire area is longer and wider, I have this cage also (QT cage)... I don't remember the actual wire area dimensions off the top of my head. I know per one of the rat calculators (based on wire area along with the depth of the base) it says it can hold 3 rats.

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:53 PM »
I hate to tell you :( but that cage will only hold one rat according to the rat calculator. The depth is way too small for a rat to turn comfortable. For about the same money you can get a slightly bigger cage
The Rat Lodge (R-680) from martins. It will hold 3 rats . How many do you plan on having. Rats need room to climb and run around. If you have more than 2 you may want to get 2nd hand on craigslist. If you look through the posts here many people do not have small cages ...for a reason the rats need it for their health.
My rat can brux louder than your rat.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
I hate to tell you :( but that cage will only hold one rat according to the rat calculator. The depth is way too small for a rat to turn comfortable. For about the same money you can get a slightly bigger cage
The Rat Lodge (R-680) from martins. It will hold 3 rats . How many do you plan on having. Rats need room to climb and run around. If you have more than 2 you may want to get 2nd hand on craigslist. If you look through the posts here many people do not have small cages ...for a reason the rats need it for their health.

The calculations aren't correct on the site... but I +1 you because I don't care for this cage but it works for a QT cage :)

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

This one is better... The dimensions of the cage on the site I believe are for the base alone (the base actually tapers down), the wire area is longer and wider, I have this cage also (QT cage)... I don't remember the actual wire area dimensions off the top of my head. I know per one of the rat calculators (based on wire area along with the depth of the base) it says it can hold 3 rats.

So I put my foot in my mouth? LOL I didnt notice the tapering. Ugh. That really makes a difference? WoW it doesnt look it but since you actually own one than thats good.
My rat can brux louder than your rat.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »
It only tapers a little, not enough to make a big difference.  Those dimensions are just random, or from a different cage.  It is 30x18x30, I dunno why it says that on the site.  That said, I agree, for 105 you could get a powdercoated 680 shipped from martins, and it is much higher quality, not chewable, etc.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »

So I put my foot in my mouth? LOL I didnt notice the tapering. Ugh. That really makes a difference? WoW it doesnt look it but since you actually own one than thats good.

It's hard to see it in the picture but the top of the base is quite a bit larger than the bottom... However I didn't like that there isn't much room to run around, but my rats always get serious play time and play pen time so it doesn't make me feel so bad during QT. That being said there is a thread going right now about some ratties and the member actually has 3 ratties in it, and if I am right the actual dimensions are in the thread :) http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4081695.0

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
It only tapers a little, not enough to make a big difference.  Those dimensions are just random, or from a different cage.  It is 30x18x30, I dunno why it says that on the site.  That said, I agree, for 105 you could get a powdercoated 680 shipped from martins, and it is much higher quality, not chewable, etc.

I know I don't understand where they got those dimensions from.

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
I'm thinking about two girl's, do i need to get the two at once or can I get one at once?
*Kat*
----------

Offline RaisinBoys

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
I have the ALT Luxury Rat Pet Home. I have two boys in it. Since the dimensions online were wrong I wrote them down before I threw the box away. They are 28.5L x(72.4cm) 17.5W x (44.4cm) 31.5H (80cm). According to this calculator if you enter in the metric measurements it holds 3-4 rats.
http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

That being said I'm  not overly thrilled with the cage. Putting it together one of the plastic hooks that holds the shelves up broke off. If I loose another one on that one I'm down a shelf.  You can't buy replacement parts  like you can for a Superpet  cage.   The wheel had sharp edges on the wires. It went in the recycling bin.  The only place to really hang hammocks is the top.

I plan on getting a Martin's in the next few months. I would go with them as long as the shipping cost isn't an issue.

I do plan on keeping this cage for introductions but, once I get a replacement it will spend most of it's time in the basement.

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »
I think I'm gonna get a martin's cage too is the shipping is not too bad, and i need to talk to my mom too.
I dunno y I need to talk to her but when it come's to spending my money she's great.
*Kat*
----------

Offline Moe

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
I think I'm gonna get a martin's cage too is the shipping is not too bad, and i need to talk to my mom too.
I dunno y I need to talk to her but when it come's to spending my money she's great.

I strongly recommend that you do get a Martin's. You absolutely will not find anything comparable for the price. The all living things cages and the other cages that Petsmart and Petco sell online are generally small and/or cheaply made. That "Luzury Rat Pet Home" cage you linked to is typical: Cheap plastic shelves absorb odor and bacteria, weak bars, little space, junk extras... An eighty dollar Martin's cage will last for years and years if taken care of and your rats will be safe and happy in it.

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
Thank you guy's, I've been using this forum only since last night and I just can't believe how helpful and quick to reply u guy's are.
*Kat*
----------

Offline couturepins

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
I'm thinking about two girl's, do i need to get the two at once or can I get one at once?

I'd get two at once ;) They'll be happier that way and if they are from the same place, you don't need to worry about quarantine or introductions.

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
ok Thankx
*Kat*
----------

Offline erinmiran

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »

I'd get two at once ;) They'll be happier that way and if they are from the same place, you don't need to worry about quarantine or introductions.
definitely agree.  rats are very intelligent and do much better if they have another rat there with them to help with the entertainment/cuddles when you're not around ;)

Offline xxJasperxx

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 02:36:05 AM »
I would pass on the cages....the ratties will chew the shelves and after a while they will smell like pee! 

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 04:28:12 AM »
Yea as everyone else has said, those first cages are no good. I have no idea why they would market a wood cage to animals who are natural chewers.  ???

A Martin's 680 is a great cage for a pair of rats. I have the cage and its very easy to decorate, clean, and move. I am now using it for my mice but I had 3 male rats in it beforehand and it was great for them.

Also as im sure you've read, or will read, rats must live in at least pairs. When you do finally decide to adopt it would be your best option to get two from the same litter or a pair that has already been living together. That way you don't have to do quarantine and no ratties have to be alone for any amount of time.  :)

Offline *Rebel_Angel*

• I love my rat kid's!!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
Ya it seem's to be the case for all animal's, I had to get another Betta fish cause a person told me that they do better in pairs. Of course they are in separate tank's but they can see each other.
*Kat*
----------

Offline Boondocksgirl

• Yoda rules
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
I'd be worried about it being only 7" back and about the wooden shelving. The critter nation may not be made from recycled material but it will last forever, which in the long run is great for the earth as well.
I have shared my home with many animals through the years and loved each one :)

Offline Casiano

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
I have the ALT Luxury Rat Home and its a decent sized cage for the price. Its a huge PITA to clean though. I plan on putting my lone rat inside of it and getting a CN for the new ratlets I'll be getting soon. If you need something quick and cheap for a couple of rats this cage will do the job. If you're looking for something long term i'd splurge and a get a CN or a Martins.

Offline lucymoosey18

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:51 AM »
Oh no:O

The wood would soak up the pee really quick.

Left to Right!: Ozzy, Link, Ellipses, Oso, Roxy, Chexy, Gypsy, Littles, Possum, Stella, & MoeMoe!