Author Topic: Has anyone ever had luck keeping GIRLS in a 1" spaced cage?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline [inactive]

Has anyone ever had luck keeping GIRLS in a 1" spaced cage?
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
So... here's some backstory. Since I've had rats, I have never once seen a Cn or FN on Craigslist in my area. Well today, 2 turned up. One double Fn + over $100 in toys for $125... but with a ferret [obviously useless to me] and one TRIPLE FN, empty, for the price of a double 'OBO'.
And.. the downfall here is I have three girls which are often said to escape larger bar sizes. One is just over a year old, one is almost exactly a year old, and the third is a bit of an older lady in comparison at about 18mo. or so. They're all decent sized. Not tiny, but not huge. The youngest one is obviously the smallest... but I'm wondering if it's 100% certain they'd escape.
I really don't want to go the 3hrs to get it, to have to modify it etc even though it is a good deal *lazy*.

Thoughts?

Offline xocinnamonspider

Re: Has anyone ever had luck keeping GIRLS in a 1" spaced cage?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »
My girls all lived in an FN and only one would escape (out of 6) She was very intelligent and tiny though. I know a lot of people who keep their girls in FN's. Petite girls will definitely escape though so if you have a teeny rat I wouldn't do it!

Offline [inactive]

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »
My girls all lived in an FN and only one would escape (out of 6) She was very intelligent and tiny though. I know a lot of people who keep their girls in FN's. Petite girls will definitely escape though so if you have a teeny rat I wouldn't do it!
Yeah none of mine are too small. But at the same time I don't know if I want to invest the money just to risk it! Haha!

Thanks for your advice :heart:

Offline smilez_n_hugs

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »
You could mesh it and that way you can be sure they can't get out.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:39 PM »
I've kept 2 females in a Super Pet cage with 1" bar spacing for 10 months or so, and I currently have 1 lone female living in there indefinitely. I've also put my other two youngest ladies in that old cage while cleaning their new one, and none of them escaped either.

As long as you have an averaged-sized ADULT female, I really don't think the bar spacing is a problem.

Offline rattielover713

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »
My bar spacing situation is actually kind of wierd. I have one TINY girl, Chiquita, that caused me a lot of trouble. We had to cover our FN in mesh because she knew how to get out. However, the dorm room cage has 1 inch bar spacing, but the bars are horizontal. For some reason she cannot get out through those bars. So, my advice is to go for it. If you know that you have a small female, have mesh ready. If your females are not particularly small, then you will be fine. I guess it really just depends on your rats.

Another quick thing I would like to add is that I wanted to put mesh on the cage anyways in the future. If you ever plan on having baby rats in that cage, I would just cover it from the start. Now, I will never have to even consider the possibility of any of my ratties, current or future, squeezing through the bars to freedom!

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
I have one girl living in an unmodded FN and two more girls who will be moving into one shortly that are large enough to stay contained.
Totally depends on your rats.

One other thing to consider, there are areas on the doors where the spacing is slightly larger than 1", so unless your girls are as large as a mid-sized boy, I wouldn't risk it without modding it.

Offline rileymai

• Posts Too Much!
    • my flickr photostream
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
I had my girls all living in the FN together for months and there was no issue with escaping.. until my petite girl Pita figured out she could escape one afternoon.  Could not keep her in it whatsoever after that, so I covered it with mesh and had no problems since.  None of my other girls were small enough, but Pita is quite small and very determined when she puts her mind to something.  If you have adult girls, there's probably not a problem.  Definitely not good for younger girls or boys, though.  Just know that once they escape, they'll probably be impossible to keep in unless modifying it.  It didn't really cost near as much as I thought it would to modify it, just a good deal of patience.  I did it by myself, but it's probably a two person job.

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »
You could always put some hardware cloth on it too :) It sounds like a great deal.
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline Ollybabee

• Posts Too Much!
  • Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 12:59:47 AM »
I had some girls in a 1" spaced cage. and also a boy in a 1" spaced cage. one of the girls slipped out and in with my male. had two babies.

If you don't have males around, it might be alright lol
Owned by three big boys, Everett, Rainey and Cobb.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:37 AM »
Yes, not worth the risk if escaping means the possibility of pregnancy.

I knew someone who just took jewlery wire and tied it across the larger spaced bars so those troublesome 1 1/4 inch bars weren't an issue.

Also, you could take something like cardboard, and cut out a 1x6 inch hole, and see if your rats can get past their eyes through the hole, by tempting them with a treat to try to get them to go through it.

Offline lucymoosey18

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 03:50:01 AM »
i used to have my girls in a double FN and one would escape when she was in heat. But my boys were nowhere close to getting her preggo since they were in 1/2in spacing since theyre still little kiddos.

But I actually sold that FN today and bought a CN. Because I really didnt want her to get hurt. I had rat proofed everything but I still hated waking up and finding her wandering my closet shelf lol.

I think you should buy the FN honestly. And go to homedepot and get some hardware cloth and wire cutters and some ziptyes. Its not hard, I just happened to not do it because I found a used CN.

:]

Left to Right!: Ozzy, Link, Ellipses, Oso, Roxy, Chexy, Gypsy, Littles, Possum, Stella, & MoeMoe!

Offline Allie

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
I had 4 girls in a cage with one-inch spacing. It was temporary.

They were all bigger girls, though.

One, Aurora, was smaller, and she could noodle her way out if you teased her with a treat, but she never got out other than when supervised... the door to the room they live in is ALWAYS closed and wires and everything are rat-proofed so even if she did get out she would just be in that room.

I would really just test it somehow if you can, at all. See if they'll squeeze out for their favorite treat, haha.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »
I got my FN along with the three rats living in it - two girls and a neutered boy.  All three were petite rats, but never escaped.  I introduced them to my other rats, and the two smaller girls from my colony learned how to escape, and ended up living in their rat-proofed room rather than really in the cage until I used jewelry wire to close the larger gaps at the edges.  They never were able to escape the bars on the rest of the cage, but eventually my obese rat got old and thin, and she was able to.  Since it wasn't safe to have an old, frail rat climbing out and unable to climb back in, I broke down and hardware-clothed the whole thing.  I've had girls in it for years since with no problems.

I'd do hardware cloth from the start if I were you.  It isn't just babies that can get out, but adult and elderly rats as well, even if they were previously unable to.

Offline Daenerys

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »
I have a cage with 1" bar spacing and only my smallest girl is able to get out. She is only 3 months old and has two sisters that are a little bigger than her but only she was able to squeeze through. She's only done it once so far and we were there when she did.
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?
Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

Offline [inactive]

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm still uncertain. I'll probably just suck it up and buy a new CN at some point..... :)