Author Topic: (not so) Edible hut. I feel horrible.  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
(not so) Edible hut. I feel horrible.
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, because it could be borderline Rat Care Corner, so I apologize if this is incorrect.

So I will admit, I wasn't the best rat mommy when I first got my girls. But I found this forum and quickly changed everything I possibly could to give them a better life (besides the point they came from a pet store :-\). For example I got rid of carefresh bedding, switched to fleece w/YN litter box, got them out of the aquarium+tank topper (I'm embarrassed to admit that they were in one, even if it was only for 3 days  :-[) into a Rat Manor then to a modified FN, switched off of "rat formulated" seed mix to HT blocks (with veggies of course). Tonight I did a deep clean and scrub down of their cage. When I was finished, I sat back and looked at it realizing how much I've learned in just a couple of months and felt pretty darn happy. Well, I noticed that I didn't know the exact ingredients in their so called edible hut. So, I took it out and decided to look up what exactly was in it (since I apparently didn't check before I got it). I started to feel a little bad when I saw this:

"Made with fresh alfalfa and golden honey, these unique 3 in 1 homes provide a fun hideaway and a great tasting treat.

100% edible
Made with fresh alfalfa and golden honey
For all small animals"

I know rats have a hard time digesting alfalfa, so I felt a little guilty for supplying this to them, but then felt horrible when I read this:

"Ingredients
Pine Wood Shavings, Cassava Starch, Alfalfa, Liquid Mix (Water, Sodium Alginate, Potassium Sorbate, Propionic Acid, Honey, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol)"

:doh:  :doh:  :doh: I'm such an idiot. The FIRST ingredient. Ugh. Needless to say, it is now sitting in the trashcan. Rizzo looks so depressed that I took her favorite hidey away from her. I tossed some extra cardboard boxes and another little plastic hut in there but I still feel terrible for giving them this "treat" for the past 3 months. I never threw it away because it never smelled, and never thought to check the ingredients. Ugh. So I guess I just wanted to vent a little at my own stupidity and I definitely wanted to let others know, who like me, didn't check the ingredients before purchasing. But, lesson learned I guess.

Oh. This might be helpful. http://www.walmart.com/ip/8In1-Pet-Products-3In1-Chew-Treat-Hide-Away-Wild-Harvest-Edible-Logz-3.18-oz/10318465

edit to fix any typos
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:46:41 AM by Bunnerrrs »

Offline Beachwaves0707

Re: (not so) Edible hut. I feel horrible.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:03:21 AM »
Don't be too hard on yourself, I bought my girls some chews and could not figure out why they chewed one in half a day. I looked at the ingredients and it was made of pine wood shavings. I felt awful too but now I know to read everything before I give them anything. We all make mistakes but we also learn from them. I have also learned so much from this site.  :)

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:04:23 AM »
I am glad you are sharing, it's been quite a while since there was a thread on this.  I think it is harmful, and at the very least not worth the risk of harm from the pine, but others believe that the processes destroy all the phenols.  I personally know that argument doesn't stand up with kiln dried pine, since it doesn't remove all and more just get released when it is peed on, so I'm not sure how it could be different, but that's where some stand on it.  The manufacturer has ignored requests for info on how the pine is processed.  Either way, not worth the risk IMO, and your not the only one to have not realized.

Ps if it makes you feel better, it was only a few days for me too, but my first girls were in a tank on crappy seed mix when I first got them.  What's more important is educating yourself, and being willing to own up to your mistakes,

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:45 AM »
At first I wasn't going to share, but then I realized that I would have liked to know this before, and there are probably others out there on this forum that don't know either. I tried searching for a previous thread, but didn't find it so figured it was worth it. I know there's not point in beating myself up over this because I can't undo what I've done, I can just learn from it and move forward and not make the same mistake again. Luckily, none of my furkids have shown any signs of sickness because of my stupidity, but I will keep an eye out for it. I did a ton of research before getting them (looking back I realize it was mostly just on myco/sendai/SDA), but this whole rat owning this is quite the learning experience. lol

And smesyna- It's a little comforting knowing that people with such great rat knowledge have made a mistake or two as well. Thanks. :)

Offline jenniferkelley

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:36:03 AM »
Don't be so hard on yourself! I had one of these huts and I threw it out right when I found out! It was in and out of their cage for a month! When I first got my girls from the humane society I didn't know a thing. They were living on pine shavings there and fed a seed mix. I also had a small cage for them and as soon as I found out the space they needed I got a bigger one. We all correct our mistakes! It's just very thankful that we have a forum for rats here!  :heart:

Offline THScam2009

• Little Dreamers Emporium
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »
We have all certainly made our mistakes... I bought my first rat from PetSmart... I had her in an aquarium... even had a wooden house for her when I started... (Boy did that thing get NASTY!!) I used pine bedding which was switched up to Aspen and then recently to liners! Their only hammock was a small piece of t-shirt cut into a square... We were all blind to what we were doing, yet innocent... thinking we were providing great homes for our little ones.

<br>

Offline Susiedbc

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
I really appreciate you sharing! Were getting our rats in a month and my daughter wanted to buy an edible hut. Guess this will save us some $.

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
It's a shame too because they're so cute >:( I will randomly give my rats the little chew treats during playtime that are made from that material. They look like little apples? The rats love them so much, they're destroyed within 2 play sessions, and they never get a chance to get peed on. In this case I feel the fun outweighs the danger, but at lease these aren't toys that are meant to be slept in. :doh: It's frustrating that manufacturers willingly put dangerous items on the market, but it's great when consumers are able to spread the word. And nobody takes this type of thing more seriously than parents and animal lovers! Thanks for bringing it up, and good for you for being a vigilant and caring pet owner :thumbsup2:

Offline Sunshine42573

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »
HOLY Crap!!! I literally just bought this yesterday at walmart on my way home from being out of town for funeral. And I put in their cage late last night wee morning hours. Im headed in there now to take it away. Grrrrrrrr :doh: Soooo glad I read this post.

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
I just bought one the other day. Gosh..are all of the edible huts like this, or only certain brands?
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
If it's made of pine, the danger is in their peeing on it, not their eating it.  Plenty of wooden toys are made of pine, so it isn't worth a total panic.

That said, I have no intention of buing one ever again - much better alternatives.
On the other hand, "in the cage for a month" blows me away - any group I ever gave one to ate it inside a week.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
This is really helpful. I was interested in getting one for my rats. Now I know not too.

Don't be to hard on yourself. We all make mistakes.

Offline Rattology

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
really? my girls love their log. they chew and chew but never had any problems. its their favorite toy! is there any other toy like this that doesnt conatin pine? are you sure that it causes them any harm?

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about other toys. As RatAttack said, the danger is when they pee on it, which I'm sure mine did as well. And the reason I was so upset (I guess is the right word) with myself is that my girls are very URI prone and what may not cause issues in someone else's rats could very easily cause issues in mine. (But that's what I get for getting petstore rats. I didn't know about how bad petstores were until after I had them, so I wasn't going to return them. lol)

Does anyone have any suggestions for pine-free hidey chews? I have igloos and a blue plastic hut thing with some nibble marks on them... We keep cardboard boxes as we come across them but they get too smelly to keep for very long.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
pine + urine = fumes that are very bad for rats lungs.  It's less of a problem in a "log" than with bedding, because they CAN move away from the log.  On the other hand, better safe than sorry...

And in actuality, an empty cardboard box can provide almost as much fun.  Or a full box of plain, cheap tissues.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
Tissues are definitely a favorite here. But I have two rats that show no interest in nesting and look at the other two like they are idiots. lol But they sure love the soda box I snagged from my parents. I have one rat that will "guard" the entrance they chewed, and will squeak if any rats try to get in that way. I think I've seen canned juice.. maybe I can pick up a case of those every once in awhile for them, because they are loving the box.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »
I take it you don't drink soda?  Maybe Seltzer water?  Pasta boxes also are approximately the right size, or TastyKakes, or EMPTY tissue boxes...
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline smangela

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
I take it you don't drink soda?  Maybe Seltzer water?  Pasta boxes also are approximately the right size, or TastyKakes, or EMPTY tissue boxes...
My rats prefer tampon boxes.   :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:58 PM »
 Yeah, I stopped drinking soda and carbonated beverages almost 3 years ago. My parents still drink soda so when I go back home I snag a box or two if they're almost empty. But yes! The rats do love tampon boxes. Haha

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself! Pretty much all of us started off with seed mix and bad cages. The point is you saw what you did wrong and fixed it. I knew the edible houses weren't good but I didn't know about the pine+pee=fumes  :eek: yuck

Offline florioa784

• Few are blessed with the love of rats
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »
Thank you for putting this up. I had no clue it was made with pine.  :heart:

Offline Ollybabee

• Posts Too Much!
  • Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 04:20:02 AM »
I had one of these for my first set of girls. they were also in a ridiculously small bird cage(like 17x15x20 or something. Two of them) on cedar and eating hamster food or something :-X

I too learned a buttload from this place, and in the end, your girls are still doing fine and your future rats will be owned by someone with enough knowledge to read ingredients in their toys and furniture :D

Even researching them before hand doesn't exactly make you aware of that fact all the time. Heck, read the first review there by someone who runs a rattery and you will feel a lot less silly.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:21:39 AM by Ollybabee »
Owned by three big boys, Everett, Rainey and Cobb.

Offline PharaMichelle

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
 Thank you so much for posting! I had no idea that those things were made with pine.  I just got my boys about a month ago and have had one of those log things in their cage for about a week now.  Needless to say, I got it out and pitched it as soon as I read this.

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
Even researching them before hand doesn't exactly make you aware of that fact all the time. Heck, read the first review there by someone who runs a rattery and you will feel a lot less silly.

I was wondering when someone would point that out lol. But I agree about the researching beforehand. I forget the website, but I found a site that said something about tank + toppers be suitable for multiple rats but it did had some good tips for raising rats. :doh: And because of that, all my research starts here. haha

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
My rats prefer tampon boxes.   :BlueDumboSmileTongue:
That's so funny, mine too! Just the right dimensions for a couple of my males to snuggle in. Strangely, the girls don't use those, they prefer hammocks :yelcutelaugh: