Author Topic: Chumpalump the Albino Man-Ferret - Northeast Wiscosin  (Read 2142 times)

Offline dahowlers

Chumpalump the Albino Man-Ferret - Northeast Wiscosin
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Chump is looking for a new, experienced home. Also, any advise on how to get him to stop biting would be great.
He's a lover or a biter, whenever he chooses. He bit my cousin at the store before mom even bought him. I noticed that he usually only bites when he's hiding under things, like if he's under a cardboard box and you try to pick it up, or if he's under the couch and he sees your feet. He walked over to my bed as I was writing this, so I picked him up and put him on my bed and he tried to bite me, but I was watching him so he didn't draw blood. I don't blame him though, I still need to shower today so my arm is pretty salty.

Here's a little history on him:

Chump was an impulse by of my mom's, from Petco. I have the paper with his name and birthday that you can request somewhere. He was the unloved black sheep, so to speak, in the store because he was the biggest, the oldest, and the whitest. She felt bad for him because nobody wanted him, probably because he kept biting the people who wanted to see him. He was my mom's ferret so she took care of him; feeding and watering, cleaning his cage, and taking him outside or letting him loose in the house.

Eventually other members of the household were getting sick of getting bitten out of the blue, so she donated him to my high school's animal program once school started. They were supposed to take care of him, nothing special, just the basic feeding, watering and cleaning the cage but the new teacher is a -insert steam of not nice words here- and couldn't even get those things done. Since I didn't have time after school to take care of him everyday, I watched him decline. Unless I went and checked on him, nobody cleaned his cage, his litter box sat and molded, his fur was a dark tan and clumpy with gunk in the fur between his eyes and nose. He lost a lot of weight, compared to how he was here, he's skin and bones. I talked to my mom got her permission to take him back him and put him in my room until I could find him a new home. My dad's only condition after we gave him to the school was that we weren't allowed to take him back, so when I asked him as well he said no. After talking to him for a while, he understood that I was going to keep bothering him until he said okay, so he did.

I gave him a bath and clipped his nails. When I got him home yesterday I took apart his cage and cleaned it with vinegar-water. It was so filthy from the six months her was there that it was sticky and moldy. I gave him new blankets and he slept for a very long time. Today he was jumping around and seemed just very excited about life in general. He has quite a bit of weight to gain.

He's litter box trained and knows that he's only allowed to run around if he goes to the bathroom first. If he needs to go to the bathroom, then he runs back to his cage. He loves to run and explore. His favorite thing to do is drag to shoes to the refrigerator and try to pull them under with all his might, even though they never fit. He also loves to slide around in the snow and bury himself in it, but he only gets to go outside when it's fifty degrees or warmer. He's a great ferret and he's fun to play with, but his biting is an issue.

This is a picture from yesterday. While I was cleaning his cage in the bathtub he kept trying to jump on the ledge so I put him on the bathroom counter and filled the sink for him to see if he was thirsty, but instead he climbed onto my shoulder and decided he wanted to sleep. However, when I walked into the living room, he saw the couch and spontaneously did a flying squirrel leap towards it.

Again, any help on how to curb his biting would be great. If I can't find a home for him I'm going to contact a ferret rescue.

Thanks for looking,
Caitlin

Offline dahowlers

Re: Chumpalump the Albino Man-Ferret - Northeast Wiscosin
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
Chump is still available and his biting has become dramatically less severe. Now he just nips hard when he's really excited, but not hard enough to break the skin. He's gained most of his weight back and looks much better.