Author Topic: "Perfume free" detergent  (Read 1007 times)

Offline SouthPaw

• Posts Too Much!
"Perfume free" detergent
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »
My mom accidentally bought some perfume free laundry detergent, and well, we like our clothes to smell delicious after they've been washed... but so to not waste it, I figured I could just use it for the rat laundry.

I did my first load with it tonight and everything still smells like urine.  :-\ It's not STRONG, but I gave everything a whiff just to make sure they came out smelling clean, and they don't. I'm going to have to rewash everything because it's a bit counterproductive to put urine smelling bedding into a clean cage.

Does anyone else use this type of detergent, and have the same issue? Is there something I can add to make it work better, or should I just forget it and go back to using our Febreze scented Tide?  :P
It makes the dog bedding relatively neutral smelling, but my dogs don't use their beds as a toilet.
The Rats - Finnick & Reptar
The Dogs - Juno, Lucy, Happy, & Cajun
The Cat - Jinx

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
Re: "Perfume free" detergent
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:15:34 AM »
Add baking soda!  Vinegar might also help.... or both. sometimes I just add both. Beware though, baking soda can fade colours.

Offline smangela

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:33:38 AM »
I add about a cup of vinegar to my rat laundry (along with fragrance-free detergent) and it completely gets rid of the urine smell.

Offline lullabee

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
+1 on vinegar. I put it in the fabric softener compartment & use fragrance-free detergent.

Also, if you can, try rinsing the most pee-d on stuff before tossing them in the wash. It's kind of a pain, but for me it's really helped cut down on odors.

Offline Victoriaa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
I usually only use Tide free and clear, but when it really smells - RELY ON VINEGAR  :yelcutelaugh:

I just put it as if it is detergent, but use detergent AND vinegar. Works well for me.

I also put it on extra rinse before, AND after the soap, that's been working well for me.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
I have actually always used unscented detergent for both my kiddo's and my own clothing and everything always comes out smelling clean. You may have not used enough, or your little ones have particularly hazardous urine  :yelcutelaugh: Like the others said though, baking soda and vinegar is great! I generally do 1/2 cup baking soda onto the rinse cycle for a large load, and then just dump vinegar in during the rinse. Works a charm!
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
+1 on the baking soda/vinegar!  I have always use All free and clear, I've never had an issue with it. My laundry and the rat laundry always smells clean afterwards, but mine don't mark a whole lot on the fleece, they mostly use the litter box for pooing and peeing in but if I don't change the litter pans every other day then I find poops in the cage and that means they have peed as well.

Offline SouthPaw

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »
Yeah everything else I've washed with this detergent smells fine, it's just the stinky rat laundry that's not coming out so well lol.
And I had the soil level set to "max" to give it some extra time in the machine.  :P

or your little ones have particularly hazardous urine
This is a possibility lol. For 2 girls they sure can be stinky.

Thanks for the tips!
The Rats - Finnick & Reptar
The Dogs - Juno, Lucy, Happy, & Cajun
The Cat - Jinx