Author Topic: Yesterday's news - uh oh!  (Read 9044 times)

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
Yesterday's news - uh oh!
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
So I was reading the ingredients for yesterday's news, and one of the ingredients is just 'wood shavings'

What the heck?  If this contains pine/cedar/softwoods it would explain my rat's sneezing/respiratory problems.... Does anybody know the wood?

Also where do you guys get your hardwood pellets?  I can't find any.....

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
Re: Yesterday's news - uh oh!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »
Which yesterday's news are you using? The unscented or scented cat litter? Or small animal litter? I purchased a bag of the unscented the other day and I already threw the bag away since I store it in a bin, so I can't look at mine and go from there... I am in the middle of writing them an email for specifics, so thats why I am asking so many questions.

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
I use the unscented cat litter.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:47:14 PM »
They are from mill shavings, and well, mills don't just use hardwoods  :-\  This, aside from price, is why I like the no name recycled paper pellets-all the ones I have found say 100% paper.

I wouldn't assume that your rats are sneezing because of it, I'd want to bring them to the vet.  They may have a URI now. 

As to where to get hardwood, unless you live in the north, you probably aren't going to find them this time of year.  If you do a search though, tons of people have shared where they get theres.

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
I do live in the north. :cheeky:
I'm from Canada.

I've found mixed hardwood, and lots of hardwood SHAVINGS, but no wood pellets... although i'd assume they'd be back more in the summer for outdoor fireplaces since nobody in Victoria heats their houses with woodstoves; it's not environmentally friendly. So they use oil instead LOL.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
There's no such thing as an outdoor pellet stove, so they wouldn't be available for that purpose.  Most of our members are in the US though, so I doubt anyone will be able to tell you where specifically to get them, we can tell you where we get them but you don't have the same stores.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »
I'm frantically searching for them, but living in Florida it is basically impossible to find!

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
we have walmart and home depot.....

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
we have walmart and home depot.....
Ok, so check there then, both of those stores have it in the US but its not a guarantee since they carry different stuff in different countries.  It's just helpful when asking where to get stuff to know what country you are in so we know not to recommend stores that aren't available to you.

Offline Lea

• Pardon me, do you have any graymatter poupon?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »
Or you could use Exquisicat, like YN but 100% paper, so it says.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 05:25:53 PM »
I'm confused.... I just went to the store to check the YN bag and no where does it say "wood shavings". All it says is made from recycled paper.

Offline erinmiran

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
I'm confused.... I just went to the store to check the YN bag and no where does it say "wood shavings". All it says is made from recycled paper.

same, i scoured my bag for ingredients and all it says is that it's made from recycled paper?

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »

same, i scoured my bag for ingredients and all it says is that it's made from recycled paper?

I went on their website and from the "our story" page it says reclaimed industrial sawdust... So I am assuming the worst. I sent them an email, still waiting on a response, but tomorrow I am going to PetSmart (one without rats) and getting something that says 100% paper.

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
maybe it's because it's Canadian packaging?
Half of it is in french....

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
maybe it's because it's Canadian packaging?
Half of it is in french....

I was thinking that. I can't get hardwood pellets down here in 90 degree Florida >:( so I'll wait until winter time rolls back around and stock up.

Offline Lea

• Pardon me, do you have any graymatter poupon?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:33:31 AM »
YN says "made with recycled paper", doesn't say how much is paper or what else is in there.  Exquisicat says "100% recycled paper".  So there you go.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »
Ok well I finally got the email I've been waiting for:

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your interest in our products. Our Purina(r) Yesterday's News(r) brand Cat Litter Made with Recycled Paper - Unscented - Original Texture consists of 50% Recycled Paper (Newspaper, Magazine, Office Paper, Kids Homework, Corrugated Cardboard Material) and 50% Wood Pulp (Hard and Soft Wood). Please know that our scented variety does contain Myacide, which is an antimicrobial agent used to prohibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Again, thank you for visiting our website.

This is so disappointing.... There are so many people that use this product because they were led to believe that it was made of just recycled paper. So anyone using this product for your rats STOP as it contains softwood product.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »

We appreciate your interest in our products. Our Purina(r) Yesterday's News(r) brand Cat Litter Made with Recycled Paper - Unscented - Original Texture consists of 50% Recycled Paper (Newspaper, Magazine, Office Paper, Kids Homework, Corrugated Cardboard Material) and 50% Wood Pulp (Hard and Soft Wood). Please know that our scented variety does contain Myacide, which is an antimicrobial agent used to prohibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria.

This is so disappointing.... There are so many people that use this product because they were led to believe that it was made of just recycled paper. So anyone using this product for your rats STOP as it contains softwood product.

At this point there is hardly anything "safe" for rats. Aspen can cause allergies (I'm allergic to it, and I've seen rats allergic to it) and can sometimes be dusty. Carefresh seems to cause problems for a lot of rats and people (and in my experience stinks way too fast). SoftSorb contains soft  woods, Yesterday News contains soft wood. Rats can suffocate in fleece or shred it really fast.... What's left?  :P

I also wonder about the store-brand versions of Yesterday News. PetCo has their own version, as does PetSmart...
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure Cell-Sorb is 100% paper. There is also something called Good Mews--basically a "generic" brand of Yesterday's News--that is 100% paper. At a local feed shop, I found a 25lb bag for $6  :shocked2: I'm buying a bag after my Cell-Sorb runs out. However, I believe I may of read it's made by a company that only distributes on the West coast. Don't quote me on that though!

There is also chopped cardboard bedding meant for horses. People on FancyRatsUK swear by it, and it's available in the US through here.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:05 PM »

At this point there is hardly anything "safe" for rats. Aspen can cause allergies (I'm allergic to it, and I've seen rats allergic to it) and can sometimes be dusty. Carefresh seems to cause problems for a lot of rats and people (and in my experience stinks way too fast). SoftSorb contains soft  woods, Yesterday News contains soft wood. Rats can suffocate in fleece or shred it really fast.... What's left?  :P

I also wonder about the store-brand versions of Yesterday News. PetCo has their own version, as does PetSmart...

I don't know what is safe anymore. It seems like anything we find turns out to be harmful in some way. I just want something that is environmentally friendly but safe for my rats.

I'm pretty sure Cell-Sorb is 100% paper. There is also something called Good Mews--basically a "generic" brand of Yesterday's News--that is 100% paper. At a local feed shop, I found a 25lb bag for $6  :shocked2: I'm buying a bag after my Cell-Sorb runs out. However, I believe I may of read it's made by a company that only distributes on the West coast. Don't quote me on that though!

There is also chopped cardboard bedding meant for horses. People on FancyRatsUK swear by it, and it's available in the US through here.

I saw this. I am actually waiting to hear how smesyna likes it. I'm probably going to be ordering some soon though.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
Is Cell-Sorb the same as SoftSorb or am I completely messing up the names of products in my head? I remember a thread not too long ago about the Kaytee product containing soft wood and causing respiratory issues in some rats.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
Cell-Sorb is totally different from SoftSorb, and not made by Kaytee :) It's just paper pellets, while I believe SoftSorb is more along the lines of little balls of "fluff"? I've never actually used SoftSorb myself, but that's what it looks like in pictures to me  :yelcutelaugh:
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »
Cell-Sorb is totally different from SoftSorb, and not made by Kaytee :) It's just paper pellets, while I believe SoftSorb is more along the lines of little balls of "fluff"? I've never actually used SoftSorb myself, but that's what it looks like in pictures to me  :yelcutelaugh:

Ok, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen Cell-Sorb then... I'm familiar with SoftSorb, and your description is about right! (they aren't really "fluff" though, they just look like it, the little balls are actually quite solid.)

Offline dolln

• Sometimes you should count to 1000 before posting
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
I use Aspen Supreme pellets.  It is a Pet and Bird all Natural litter/bedding.  It is 100% organic and biodegradable. I find it in the bird section at Petco. It is not dusty. Rats that I have had that sneezed on other bedding does not sneeze when I use this. 

Cheryl

Maddie and Molly

Offline Handmeafish

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »

I will do my best to find out :)