Author Topic: Cupboard liner as shelf liner?  (Read 449 times)

Offline _Kai_

Cupboard liner as shelf liner?
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
I've heard of using cupboard liner (rubbery fabric similar to a place mat, used to put in cupboard under dishes) as shelf liner in cages, and was wondering if anyone could rate how they like it? I'll be getting a Martins 695 and plan on using bedding in the bottom floor, but the big middle shelf i'd like covered. I'm debating between fleece and the liner, does anyone have experience with it? I know a lot of you use fleece, but I think I like the look of the liner, and it seems easier to clean.

Also, whichever method of covering I use, are safety pins ok to hold it down? I think i've seen it posted by several people that they use safety pins, but I want to make sure, and appreciate any tips and experiences!

Offline lullabee

Re: Cupboard liner as shelf liner?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
I used this to cover the floors in my first cage: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/pantryOrganizers/drawerShelfLiners?productId=10000688&N=64222

They were easy to remove & wash, but I still covered them with fleece to absorb pee. They tend to curl up, so I clamped them down with binder clips. When I got a R-680, I switched to vinyl tiles cut to size & covered those with fleece/towels. Definitely recommend covering solid liners or else just leaving the shelves/floors bare, otherwise you get pee puddles everywhere!  :P