Author Topic: New Here - Getting A Big Cage (FN)!  (Read 501 times)

Offline jaimmorr

New Here - Getting A Big Cage (FN)!
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
Hello, all! I just came across this forum while surfing and I love it so far! Everyone here seems awesome and very.. how should I say it... "In sync" with their ratties!  :)   My name is Jaime. I have 2 rats right now, both double rexes (mock hairlesses), and I love rats. My first rat is Alice, I got her 2 years ago in July. She is my one true LOVE! I take her everywhere with me, she rides in my shirt. Lol! (P.S. I am very aware that rats should be kept in pairs or more, but Alice was kept in with two other rats when I first got her and she would attack them... Never was sure why, but she absolutely hates other rats.) Anyway, I just got a new rattie last week, her name is Dren. She's a real sweetie. Right now Dren is being kept in an extra cage I have, by herself. But this weekend I am getting a FN cage for free from a co-worker who doesn't want it taking up space in his house any more! I am not positive, as I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure it is a 142. Anywho, after I get this cage and do a little more research, I want to get one or two more rats to keep Dren company.

My question is: What is the best way to set up the cage? I've read a lot of fleece cage liners... How would I go about making one of those myself? Or, where can I buy one? Also, what do I use to keep the cage liners secure? If the rats aren't litter trained, is it a bad idea to do fleece liners?

How to go about cleaning the cage? How often? Right now, I clean Alice's cage about once every week and a half. It never smells bad and she seems to be doing fine with it. But, with more than one rat in a big cage I know I will have to clean more often than that.

What about toys, things to keep them stimulated? For Alice, I make her Pinatas and she has bird toys, a house, and hammock, etc. in her cage. She LOVES those pinatas! Lol.

Any other things I should know about FN cages? Thank you!  :D

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
Re: New Here - Getting A Big Cage (FN)!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
Welcome to Goosemoose! :wave2:
First, I'd like to recommend the search function. Up top, to the left next to Profile, that search will get you some good results you your questions.
As far as the FN goes, your first concern should be bar spacing. If your girls are big it will be okay, but many females can escape easily from those 1" spaced bars. Modifying it with hardware cloth helps eliminate that issue though, and isn't very difficult.
Litter training isn't always easy, but even so I don't mind picking poopies up daily off the fleece and putting them in the litter pans. I prefer fleece because it's pretty and not messy. Some people prefer using litter though and there your best bes is Bass Pans. They're not too cheap and you have to paint them and wait 2 weeks until they're safe to use, but they're deep, chew proof, and keep messes inside the cage.
Weekly is good for cleaning, but I think most of us do daily tidying to keep things nice. With a cage like this your best bet is spraying/wiping the cage down, removing shelves and ladders for a thorough cleaning outside or in the tub.
I sew my own liners that aren't attached at all so my rats don't chew them up, but there's lots of options represented here on the board. There's a whole thread dedicated to FN's that will give you lots of inspiration on toys as well as decorations for your girlies.
In the Marketplace section you'll find many talented folks that can make you liners, hammocks, toys, even treats! Take a look around and enjoy your stay!

Offline hannahsloas

Re: New Here - Getting A Big Cage (FN)!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Well, first off - Welcome! You've picked a great forum to come to and learn! :D

Secondly, the FN is a great cage. But, the only problem it has for girly ratties is... They're sometimes escape artists, and can probably maneuver their way out. Try investing in some Hardware cloth. It's kind of expensive at like, Ace Hardware, but at a Menard's or Lowe's it's probably cheaper. You'll need about 18 feet to cover each part, so, if you have a 142, you'll need 36 feet :D

I spot clean my FN once daily, and then change liners 2 times a week. I used to use litter, but it gets SUPER MESSY without bass pans. And they're kinda expensive...

Liners are super easy to make, if you have a sewing machine and are sewing savvy. When you get the cage, you'll measure the bottom most part of the pan, and such. Cut your fabric, and sew straight lines :]
There's also a kind of "flea market" section on the forum, if you're not too good with sewing. Many people on here make hammocks and cage liners at great prices.

So, once again, welcome to the forum! Any questions, just ask and I'll be, along with everyone else will be, happy to help!

Pet's name: Cupcake