Author Topic: How often do you clean out your cage?  (Read 8104 times)

Offline PackLife

Re: How often do you clean out your cage?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
No one has to feel like they're slacking, some of us are just totally obsessive :help:

Personally, with (now) twenty rats, I'm afraid of what it might smell like if I didn't clean so often. Also, by swapping the liners (and eventually the hammocks I'm working on) very often, they don't really have a chance to get annihilated by my chewers. By rotating them, each individual piece lasts longer. That might be the main reason I clean EOD.

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
No one has to feel like they're slacking, some of us are just totally obsessive :help:

Absolutely haha. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that spot-cleans poops out of the litter box daily too... :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Lennyk

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 12:01:39 AM »
I spot clean a couple times a day and do a complete clean once a week. All the bedding gets cleaned (I use fleece), the shelves and bars get wiped down and bowls get washed. Whenever I feel like they are needing it, the cages get put in the tub for a scrub down. Usually every 2 months or so.

Offline Ashmonster

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »
For five rats in a CN 161: Every 2-3 days I change the fleece/sheet liners since they get stinky fast, dump the litterboxes, and wipe up any sticky messes. Then once a week I take everything out and wash it all, wipe the bars, and wash the hammocks.

Offline Chewbecca

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ella's Lead
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
Wow.  I lightly spot clean once a day, OR a more than lightly spot clean every other day.
Their litter gets changed once a week along with a thorough deep cleaning of the cage.
I have 3 boy rats in an R-695.

What's funny is, I will give them baby cereal or some kind of baby food, and if I leave the dish in there, I find they will eat all the food and then potty in it.
And I will find NO fresh poops anywhere else or pee anywhere else other than in that empty dish.
As soon as I find they've pottied in their empty dish, I HAVE TO remove it and wash it because it'll start to stink REAL BAD.

oh, hammocks get changed when the cage gets cleaned, or if they're smelly, they'll get changed every 5 days or so.
www.ellaslead.com
The Only Collar and Lead You Will Ever Need!

Offline Fluke

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
Lol I also feel pretty lax - 4 girls in a single CN. I just poop patrol daily and toss any loose ones into their box. Dump out the box 2 times a week. Anything fabric gets changed after 6 days, I also scrub the shelf/pan and clean all their toys/ hides.

I also wipe around the bottom bar of the cage where the pan butts up against to clean any rogue dribbles or debris as well. No weird smells here XD