Author Topic: Critter Nation or Martin's Cage?  (Read 6845 times)

Offline ((ekfdmlqlc))

Critter Nation or Martin's Cage?
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »
I am thinking of getting a new cage (the Marshall Townhouse cage I got makes it too easy for my rats to escape), and am having a hard time deciding between CN and Martin's. I am definitely leaning more towards the double CN, but am very put off by the high price tag. What are the pros and cons of the double CN? Is it really worth the price tag?

On the other hand, for a lower price, I could get the Ruud Cage, but I don't like that it has wire shelves. I do like that it's tall, but I guess the wire floors are the things that's putting me off the most about Martin's.

I am also considering a single CN (I have two boy rats), but it's only two levels, so I'm not really sure at the moment. The main reason why I bought the Marshall Townhouse cage is because of its multiple shelves/floors. Does anyone own the single CN? Do you have pictures with adult rats in it? I'd like to gauge exactly how big it is (I'm not very talented in the field of spatial visualization).

Sorry for the long post; hope someone can help me out. :)

Offline ZeppelinLadyLove

• Zepps Thread Work Hammies
Re: Critter Nation or Martin's Cage?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
i have a cage similar to a martins, but not one  (I wish :BlueDumboSmileTongue:) and it never smells. On the other hand, I have 2 double CN's and no matter how many times I clean it a day it still always has a smell to it. And believe me, I get down and dirty when I clean them. I rinse my pans everyday in my shower and change liners twice a day. Not all my rats are litter trained, but most of them are. I wouldnt get a CN if your rats arent litter trained.

I would trade both my CN's for 2 RUDDs but thats just me. I like all wire cages, they have really good ventilation. Ive never owned a RUDD but I would cover the floors with liners and all and it still seems easier to clean D:

The CN is also very large with requires me taking out all the possible peices and rinsing them one at a time and scrubbing one at a time in my bathtub. And then coming over to my room and scrubbing it in my room. And then I have to get a toothbrush and get these cracks on the side that get build up.

Maybe im missing something very obvious thats stinky?  ???

Maybe one of them has a stinky peice of cheese hiding in one of their hammies? lol :yelcutelaugh:

They are amazing for decorating and super big so im not saying dont get one, but im probably one of the few people who would trade it for a RUDD. I also read that the RUDD really brings the personality out in rats because they have so many levels to explore.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:11:46 PM by ZeppelinLadyLove »
http://zeppsthreadworkhammies.webs.com/

Owned by 9 rats, 2 dogs, and 2 ferrets<3

Offline RattyMonday

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rats and Life
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »
I went for a double CN over the larger Martin's.. Though it was hard to make my choice, I'm very happy with the CN. Its huge, durable, looks like it will last a lifetime.. It was easy to seperate top half from bottom, which is something I needed since not all my guys get along at the moment (we're looking at a very near future neuter for one). I loved that it was on wheels, so easy to push around the house. I loved that it has storage underneath, so that I may keep ALL the rats and their things in one corner of the house.. And I ADORE the huge swing open front doors. But it definitely is HUGE. I'm hoping that when it comes time to move over the summer, that whereever I end up has a space for it :P

It was cleaned fairly well before I reassembled it, so I haven't noticed a smell issue yet. But if your rats aren't litter trained, I could see how this could be a more difficult cage. The pans it comes with does not hold litter.. Since I haven't had the time/money to make/buy liners yet, I've been using litter.. So I must vacuum daily, since they kick it all out in the floor xP.
My rats, for the most part, are litter trained.. And the ones that aren't, we're working on it.. So once I have liners, I think it should be much easier for me to keep this cage clean compared to the old cage I had (the ol' green/purple super pets).

I have no experience with Martin's.. But I just wasn't as pleased with how it looked, and its width.. And I had heard it was harder to seperate levels.. Which again, is something I needed to be able to do... Whichever you choose in the end, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Just make a list of things you are looking for in a cage. That'll help :3

Offline Tempric

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »
This is the thread I needed!  I was wondering the same things.  I look at the CNs and drool, but I want a large, easy to clean and use cage.  I currently use large superpet cages (I wired two together to make a big one for my girls (60 x 30 x 18) and the plastic shelves and ramps irritate me.  I have to remove them to clean, the ramps get chewed up, and it's inconvenient to remove and reinstall the shelves because the doors are small!  I even have two enterprising ladies who figured out how to gnaw a hole in the plastic pan corners! They get so excited when they wake me up in the night to let me know, "it's ok, we're here with you now". (I patched up the base with sheet metal)

I originally did not want a wire flooring cage for comfort reasons, but now I think wire with liners would have been better.  I am eager to hear more experiences and opinions on this matter.
Christina
Nashville, TN

Mellee, Molly, Sophie, Nicky, Gina, Momma, Star, Twinkle, Yin, Badger, Luc, Orary, Rooshi, Shiro, Jun

RIP Ruby, Misty, Luna, Neo, Rigel, Spots, Remy, Ginger, Pepper

Offline ((ekfdmlqlc))

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »
CN Pros:
* The doors! Full width doors are so very appealing.
* Storage space beneath the cage
* Plastic shelves (if you don't want liners, then you don't have to cover them since they're not wires)
* Easy to separate the top level and bottom level

CN Cons:
* Heavy (therefore difficult to take to the washroom, for instance, to clean)
* Hefty price tag
* Prone to odd smells? (there may possibly be nooks and crannies that people can't reach/clean easily)
* Pans don't hold litter, so extra cleaning is required around the cage area (can't remember, but I think deeper pans can be purchased specifically for the CN)

Martin's Pros:
* The biggest cage is cheaper than a double CN
* Tall with lots of levels, meaning rats can climb, jump, do their wild acrobatics or what-have-you ;D

Martin's Cons:
* Aesthetics-wise, not as appealing as the CN
* Smaller cage doors
* 100% wire (meaning if you don't have liners, your rats may get bumblefoot)

Thanks so much for the input so far, everyone! It's greatly appreciated. Like Tempric, I'd love for more opinions and experiences with either of these cages. I think I am leaning more towards the CN at this point in time.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »
I have a double CN and I love it. It has a lot of room, I have added two more shelves took out the ramps, except the one leading to the second level. It's a great cage but so are Martin's. My next cage will most likely be a Martin's. I've seen some pretty awesome Martin's cages on here. It all depends on what works for you and your rats.

Also wire flooring does not cause bumblefoot. That is caused by the rat standing in it's own waste. Wire flooring that is too far spaced out can cause a sprain or a break but not bumblefoot :)

Offline ExtraHannah

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
I'm not ready yet, but I'm having this same mental debate already. I actually prefer a cage with no stand, so that's easy. I like big doors, who doesn't, but I also really like a deep bottom pan since I keep deep bedding in the bottom of my cage. The CN's do seem to be a bit more attractive, but at a higher price and you have to buy extra shelves if you want them, right? It seems like the trade offs are the same issues for most people. You'd think the manufacturers of both would read some of these threads and offer different options. I.E. plastic or metal shelves for either, deep pans if desired, different door sizes, etc.

I was initially leaning towards the CN, but now am thinking Martins. Just how hard is it to decorate with those door sizes? They can't be worse than what I have, but I'm hoping they are better. Also how do most people cover the metal shelves? Right now I just use gator clips for fleece on most of my plastic shelves. My girls seldom every pee on the shelves, so I also leave some plastic. Can you use elastic attached to the corners or something on the Martins?

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »
CN cage, definitely! It looks nice, too. The best thing about it is that theoretically, you have two cages if you get the double-decker. Once the ratties are old, you can close off the cage, remove the levels and the ladder and still have a generous amount of space for your rats. You can easily fit boxes of all sizes in the cage, you can use the cage for oldies, for young ones, for girls, for boys... for anyone! We have two triple decker FN cages, 2 FN cages and 1 CN cage. I would always get another CN cage.
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline ExtraHannah

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
Isn't it funny how differently people feel about different cages? I've been googling all over and have found many people that have had both CN's and Martins. Of those that have a very strong preference, I would say it's right about 50/50 as to those that hate the CN's and love the Martins and vice versa - LOL! I really do think it's a personal preference.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
I have two double CNs and I love them!  I do not have a problem with smell, except a bit in the early spring before I have a chance to haul them onto the deck and power wash them.

Those full access doors are the best.  And yes, Bass Equipm,ent makes Ferret Pans that fit the CN and the FN - I have a full set for each of my CNs - two full and one notched - so I can split or open them as needed.  I use hardwood pellets for nedding and the pans keep them in beautifully.

I do have a number of Martin's in the house but I prefer the CNs.  I find the Martins much harder to clean thoroughly, even using a toothbrush for the corners and joins..
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline ZomboidSakura

• I play with rats.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:30:29 PM »
Have you searched this? I'm pretty sure there's a big long thread about it. That might further help you in making your decision

Offline ((ekfdmlqlc))

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
Oh wow, I did know that poor upkeep of hygiene in cages also caused bumblefoot, but I didn't know that wire flooring did not. :3 Guess that one is a myth. Thanks for the tip!

I've searched Google (haven't searched Goosemoose yet), but no one's compared CN and Martin's... I'll definitely search Goosemoose for such threads in a bit. :)

Offline ZomboidSakura

• I play with rats.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
It's definitely on here somewhere!!!

Offline Fluke

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
I was on that fence a few months ago! Its the look of a CN that really sold me. I loved the idea of both cages, but the CN is so polished looking. After having it a few months I'm still super happy with it :) Also, no weird smells here!

I do love the wheels - I plan to just wheel it out onto our porch and hose the snot out of it when deep cleaning day comes. I also like wheeling them in front of of open windows and move where they're at in the house. I think they enjoy the change of scenery.

Something interesting I've noticed is my rats will not try and get down from the cage without a ladder or something thanks to the stand's height. I can leave a door open with absolutely no fears - they actually love climbing up the doors and getting on top of the cage so I converted it into more play space!

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
Something interesting I've noticed is my rats will not try and get down from the cage without a ladder or something thanks to the stand's height. I can leave a door open with absolutely no fears - they actually love climbing up the doors and getting on top of the cage so I converted it into more play space!

I wish mine did this! I can't open the doors without them all trying to get out. I actually set up their "playpen" around the cage and just open the doors. They all climb out on their own. It's actually amusing to watch :yelcutelaugh:

Offline mischiefmommy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 02:26:07 AM »
I don't have a CN, but I recently obtained a FN (complete with chinchillas  :yelcutelaugh:) and I've had Martin's cages for close to a decade.

Right away I had to order the new scatter guards, because the bedding gets EVERYWHERE otherwise.

My rats are not litter box trained and I do not use liners.
Although I like the space of the FN, I can't see myself ever getting one for the rats. I'd much rather have them on clean wire shelves and up out of their bedding. As for bumblefoot, I've had over a hundred rats in the last decade, all in Martin's cages, none of which have ever had any foot issues.

It's so a personal preference. Everybody seems to love one and hate the other.