Author Topic: Ferret Nation or Critter Nation?  (Read 816 times)

Offline shimonohanzo

Ferret Nation or Critter Nation?
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:20:28 AM »
I'm having a hard time choosing between getting a Ferret Nation or a Critter Nation. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Ferret Nation or Critter Nation?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »
That depends on your rats!
If you have young rats, or small female you would need to wrap a Ferret Nation in hardware cloth until they are large enough to not be able to slip between the bars.

In the case of some petite rats you would always need it to be wrapped.
Plus, even if your rats are big enough to not be able to get through the bars now, if you get new ones, you will still have to wrap it.

Where as with the CN the spacing is small enough for even baby rats to live in. It is just a lot more expensive.

A lot of people hate the aesthetics of a FN wrapped in hardware cloth, but if it doesn't bother you, it is certainly cheaper than the CN.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
If you go for the FN look for it used.  Plenty of people "upgrading" to the CN want to sell their FN.

I prefer the CN so I don't have to worry about babies/petite girls.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Victoriaa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Unless you will only have adult rats, or don't mind the hardware cloth on a FN, try to get a used FN.

Otherwise, get the CN  :cheeky:
You won't have to worry about bar spacing.

Offline Kritter

• I <3 ratties
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
Critter Nation.
If you get a ferret nation chances are your gonna end up covering it up in hardware cloth which imo makes the cage not as pretty and it gives ya some cuts.
While if you get a critter nation you don't have to worry about the bar spacing at all.
Plus, I believe the bars on the ferret nation go up rather then across so rats cant really climb them.
Currently livin' with:
Sugarbaby - Rat
Elsie - Rat
Cooper - Dog

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:51:01 AM »
There are pros and cons to both.  IMO, the only real con to the CN is that it is more expensive and harder to find used.  That being said, it CAN be done--I got my Double CN used but in good condition for under $100 after scouring CL.  But you are almost definitely going to come across more used FN's and at cheaper prices.

Do you have males or females?  I would only feel comfortable keeping the very largest males in an un-modded FN due to the bar spacing.  I actually have several full-grown males that would easily slip through the bars of an FN.  This is an even bigger problem with females.  I would never put females in an unmodded FN.  But if you can find a good deal on an FN and don't mind modding it with hardware cloth then that is definitely an option.  Just take into account the price of the materials needed to mod the cage and the amount of time and effort it is going to take before deciding whether it is a really good deal or not.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with a CN if you can swing the price.  With 1/2" bar spacing even babies can live in there without fear of escape and as a previous poster mentioned, the horizontal bars provide much more opportunities for climbing.  Although they are harder to find used, they do pop up occasionally so I would definitely keep my eyes open.

Hope that helped a little bit lol.

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
So far all of you have been a great help. Thank you.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
 I have both and also have a martins cage as well.
 The only big difference is the bar spacing and how the cages are made. I like the critter nation b/c i dont worry about the bar space but the ferret nation seemed to be a stronger cage for some reason. I had a hard time getting the critter nation because I have a ferret nation in great conditon but the girls could get out..so i had no choice.
 The martin cage worked out well for me as well.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Sleighr

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
I say go with the CN. The only thing that worried me were a few complaints that the cage had come bent, and that it falls apart easily if you try to move it or something. The bends in the wire are easily corrected and the cage was actually a lot more stable than I expected it to be xD It was well worth the money, so if you have it, go for it :D

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »
I have decided! I will save up for a critter nation!

Sorry for the delay.  :wink5: